Main Menu

V For Vendetta Question

Started by Funt Solo, 19 April, 2005, 06:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I was at the bookshop and they've got some classic graphic novels I've never read before:  V For Vendetta and Sin City stand out because I hear they're utter class, but in both cases, I just don't fancy the artwork.

So...question:  Is V For Vendetta like the Citizen Kane of comics (in that it's regarded as a classic but really, most of it's tricked have been copied so many times that they don't really seem original anymore and whilst it's impressive on first viewing, it's not really something you'd bother watching again) or am I missing out?

Instead I bought Ministry Of Space, War Stories Vol. 1 and 1602:  all of which I highly recommend (if you're into deconstructing the Dan Dare myth, a modern take on WWII comics and a sword & sorcery alternity for the Marvelverse respectively).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

paulvonscott

I read V for Vendetta every year or two, it's really good!

Quirkafleeg

Read V... it's very good. There's a couple of creaky bits that let it down so it's not quite The Greatest Comic Ever Made. However the highlights are imho the some of the best sequences ever in a comic.

Buddy

Both V and Sin City are stand out books and I highly recommend both.

But what do you mean you don't fancy the artwork, you've got two of comics top storytellers here, what's not to like?

Funt Solo

::what do you mean you don't fancy the artwork, you've got two of comics top storytellers here, what's not to like?

Oh, I can't rationalise it and I'm not questioning the storytelling abilities of the artists or their style:  it's purely an instinctive reaction on my part.  They may be aquired tastes.

It's like Cam Kennedy said in the last Megazine:  people don't buy comics for the scripts (initially).  The first thing you see is that art.  My decision to boy a comic is usually down to the art (to a great extent).

Having said that, I wouldn't have bought War Stories if it didn't have Garth Ennis written in big letters on the front (but that's down to the assumed themes rather than a poor reaction to the art).

Fickle.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Art

V For Vendetta and Sin City stand out because I hear they're utter class, but in both cases, I just don't fancy the artwork.

For me the artwork is a major plus point in both cases. Horses for courses I guess...

johnnystress

besides the fact that you're just wrong and should be ashamed for not liking the art on these, and should do some sort of penance, especially in these pope free days..

I'd recommend V for Vendetta over Sin City

Both great but V wins by a whisker, just because

Oddboy

I didn't much like the look of the art in V for Vendetta before I read it... but once I'd started reading it I was totally drawn in to it, and decided that the art was great after all, and I don't know why I didn't think so immediately.
Better set your phaser to stun.

johnnystress

I first became aware of V for Vendetta when the short-lived magazine Idols did a feature on it. The black and white panels  showing V's address to the nation " Are we sitting comfortably, then we'll begin" blew me away!

then the americans had to colour it in pink and yellow washes for some reason

Noisybast

Same here - I initially thought it was a bit murky and muddy-looking, but now I think it's aces! Suits the oppressive tone of the story nicely...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Tordelbach

I was also not a fan of Lloyd's artwork prior to reading V, but once I started into it, his densely worked shadowy style became a real treat. And yes, a very few bits of V are slightly weaker than the rest (not surprising given the length of time it took to complete), but overall it is a deeply complex and ultimately very moving read.  Twice as good as Sin City at the very least, and certainly one of the Top 100 comic books of all time!

therev

Must admit to my SHAMe at only ever looking at V' once about 20 years ago (I think). ALWAYS ment to buy it but never got round to it, come on Board should I buy it online NOW?
VOTE!

therev

I got into comics via 'Tooth, Dark Knight Returns, Camalot 3000 & Watchmen. Are we talking similar quality then?

Oddboy

Oddboy suddenly remembers that he's got Batman Dark Knight Returns in a bag somewhere, having been lent it the other week from his brother-in-law-in-law.
Better set your phaser to stun.