Main Menu

2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 2021

Started by broodblik, 07 July, 2021, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

This year's special rather than to focus on smaller stories or specific characters in the AD-verse are presented by one big event story broken-up in 5 parts and wrapping up in a finale. Different artists are used for each section of the special.

The smaller stories are there to support the fact that this is a global event and rather than a localized event. Chopper, Cursed Earth Koburn, Armitage, Devlin Waugh, and Judge Inaba are the support cast, Dredd and Anderson are the leads. As the stories starts to unfold, we realised events occurring over the global has something in common. The common thread is only revealed in the Anderson storyline.  Whereas the first story featuring Dredd kick-off the event the Anderson story leads us into the grand finale.

Overall, I liked the special and especially liked the fact that it is one big story. The bigger story gives it much more depth and space to grow. The end is an indication that we might even get more from the "characters" that was introduced.

Positive points
-   The art in general was quite good, special mentioned must go to Googe's fine art on the Inaba story
-   One big story, can focus on the main theme
-   Armitage and Devlin together in one story, this might be a first as well

Negative points
-   Well, if you do not like the theme this might be one big let-down
-   If you are not a big Dredd-verse fan you will also be let-down
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

moldovangerbil

Has anyone who ordered this through the webshop had their copy yet or even had notification of dispatch?

Ta

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i usually get notification of despatch a couple of days after i've received the product ...

broodblik

Proudhuff

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 07 July, 2021, 01:25:07 PM
Has anyone who ordered this through the webshop had their copy yet or even had notification of dispatch?

Ta

Yes got mine last week!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

My only gripe is my old chestnut:
Once again Anderson is portrayed as a very young, pretty, sexualised woman. Dredd aged, Giant aged, even Hershey aged, but Casandra remains forever half-zipped into her leather onesy
She's a middle aged woman who has seen arguably seenmore than Dredd, been through physical, mental and psychological torture that would have crushed just about anyone else and is surely menopausal by now... and not a line, wrinkle or saggy craggy bit.   
DDT did a job on me

Tjm86

Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 July, 2021, 02:33:16 PM

She's a middle aged woman who has seen arguably seenmore than Dredd, been through physical, mental and psychological torture that would have crushed just about anyone else and is surely menopausal by now... and not a line, wrinkle or saggy craggy bit.

Hey, have you seen Carol Vorderman recently?

Proudhuff

not without visual support, (her and me)
DDT did a job on me

Max Headroom

A pretty enjoyable Sci-Fi Special. Good to see Anderson looking so well...!

Funt Solo

*droool* - I get to index a Dreddverse crossover event!  :o
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

robprosser

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 07 July, 2021, 01:25:07 PM

Ta
Not a peep. Not uncommon for the webstore I think. I pre-order most books via them and usually see them available elsewhere before they dispatch.

broodblik

Here is interview with some of the creators of the special:

https://2000ad.com/news/interview-drokking-all-over-the-world-matt-smith-maura-mchugh-mike-carroll-talk-2000-ad-sci-fi-special/

Interesting last question to Matt:

So... if we are looking ahead to 2022 and the 45th anniversary of 2000 AD, what can we look forward to?

MS: What is The Citadel? Find out in a new unmissable Judge Dredd story by John Wagner and Dan Cornwell, starting in the 45th anniversary prog!

metcalfecarr

I was let down by it.  This was a Megazine Summer Special, not a 2000ad one. 

It was ok, I wasnt really taken by Tom Foster on Chopper, he's an excellent draftsman but the art didnt have that kinetic pop a Chopper strip should have.

Was nice to see Robin Smith back.  Never liked his stuff as a kid but it looked really nice here, a change of style without being totally unrecognisable.
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

The Enigmatic Dr X

Judging by the prog delivery schedule, I am sure this will hit my central Scotland home by Christmas.
Lock up your spoons!