Main Menu

Meg 465: Night Terrors

Started by IndigoPrime, 13 February, 2024, 11:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 February, 2024, 05:29:01 PMPoppers! I'd forgotten they existed.  They used to be legal here in Ireland but I'm not sure if they still are.

A university bedroom, many moons ago ... several trippers are watching the wall breathe. JK fishes out a bottle of poppers to add to the experience, but he drops them and the bottle smashes. The liquid seeps into the carpet. Everyone but me* leaps onto their hands and knees and starts sniffing the carpet before evaporation wins the contest.

Oh, the humanity!

* Someone has to watch things unfold.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 February, 2024, 05:29:01 PMPoppers! I'd forgotten they existed.  They used to be legal here in Ireland but I'm not sure if they still are.

Good Lord... what a waste of perfectly good drug time those things were. Someone gave me some once, and my overwhelming memory is of the world's worst headache. I appreciate that poppers have... other things to recommend them, but those weren't my thing. As a 'high'...? Keep 'em.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Aye - as far as I remember, the effects were little more than heart palpitations and a headache. But for some reason we just kept sniffing.

I realise now, as a boring straight male, I'm not the target demographic.  I can't even imagine how that guy in the Brit Cit club is going to feel after drinking it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Feeling like an idiot now for not promoting some basic safety education: Healthline - Poppers: What Do They Actually Do?

tl;dr - never drink them! Unsafe. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rogue Trooper on 26 February, 2024, 12:21:28 AMFeeling like an idiot now for not promoting some basic safety education: Healthline - Poppers: What Do They Actually Do?

tl;dr - never drink them! Unsafe. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Good call,  FS / RT. Your link has also just taught me why they're called poppers- never really thought about it before.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I was going to explain the exact combination of illegal narcotics that made the use of poppers something you'd suffer the headache for, but probably best I don't. 

Tip-toe, through the daisies ... oh fuck, a dragon!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

The talk of the film Doomsday on another thread has made me have a second read of Harrower Squad. I must say I like this new, batshit-crazy vision of the Scottish wastes.  No radioactive feckin whisky and no sudden shift from comedy to pseudo-Vertigo seriousness.

Where has that psychic vortex thing that Schiehallion made gone? I'm hoping it's in the same drawer domes over the Mega-Cities are.  Any word of the Song in the Sky satellite being fixed? I very much doubt it.

Anyway looking forward to seeing how this pans out, even if the mutants sound like they could give elocution lessons to the judges.

I, Cosh

"How many big heids can you fit in one wee bottle?"

Is what we used to ask about poppers thirty years ago when one of my pals had the great idea of each taking a big sniff then trying to play Street Fighter.

"Dude! That smells like ass."

Is what an American friend said to the young man who tried to offer us some in a Belfast nightclub ten years ago.

No further incidents to report.

Spent altogether too much time trying to figure out exactly where the first episode of Harrower Squad was supposed to be set. There's a St Kent's Academy in Whitburn and a couple of churches a bit too far away from the dead centre. None quite fit.

However, episode two gives us something more substantial to go on. The abandoned cinema the team hide out in...

... is unquestionably the Showcase in Coatbridge.

We never really die.

I, Cosh

Ballsed up the links there. If only we could edit posts in the reviews section.

From this.

To this

We never really die.

Proudhuff

Wouldn't take much to level it up to the standards in the strip.  :lol:

My home town get a name check on the first page, so I'm well chuffed. :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Can you still get em in the UK? asking for a friend. :-\
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: I, Cosh on 21 March, 2024, 11:20:56 PM"How many big heids can you fit in one wee bottle?"

Is what we used to ask about poppers thirty years ago when one of my pals had the great idea of each taking a big sniff then trying to play Street Fighter.

"Dude! That smells like ass."

Is what an American friend said to the young man who tried to offer us some in a Belfast nightclub ten years ago.

No further incidents to report.

The mate who gave me my first sniff assured me I'd feel hornier than I'd ever felt before. Unless being horny means your face feeling like it's going to burst in an explosion of blood, and having a pounding migraine into the bargain, he was very much mistaken.

I think I said it but I like Harrower Squad a lot. The absolute shitshow going on outside the cities is far more interesting than nonsense any radioactive whisky silliness.

JayzusB.Christ

And yes, I wish these posts were editable too, having forgotten to delete the bit I realised was a bit too harsh.