Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: The new leader of the pack

Started by broodblik, 15 June, 2022, 03:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Choose your leader to lead the pack but Wednesday is the cut-off day
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

If it can't be Al Ewing, it's definitely Niemand for me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dash Decent

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 15 June, 2022, 09:09:58 PM
I've really been enjoying all of Michael Carroll's efforts on the Dredd novels, fantastic!

Seconded.  The Rico novel was great too.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

So do you know nobody leads the pack

Voting Closed

Kenneth Niemand is the leader of the pack
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

That's a great result but the field is wide open. If we can't have Wagner its great there's so much talent picking up the slack.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 June, 2022, 05:40:07 AM
That's a great result but the field is wide open. If we can't have Wagner its great there's so much talent picking up the slack.

Yes I agree I am more inclined to say that no one should take the lead let each creator do his own thing with Matt just overlooking the process (which I believe his doing currently)

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

hmmm ... i'd really like a showrunner to knit everything together and provide us with a little more consequence.

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 22 June, 2022, 07:07:18 PM
hmmm ... i'd really like a showrunner to knit everything together and provide us with a little more consequence.

Me this also! I enjoyed the core Wagner years where events had consequences. It's a fun world to play around in, and I'm not saying that's necessarily wrong - but fitting each creator's vision in and trying to call it canon makes no sense. Or, to put it another way: End of Days is fine as alternity. It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Mind you - rejuved or not, Dredd's just too old (per canon) to take seriously. Maybe it's better if all of that is quietly shelved and he's just eternal (like wot US superhero comics mostly do).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Sorry late to the party here.

For a consistent run of weekly Dredds it's got to be Niemand.

Then add a bit of Rob Williams for a special story.

I think Mike Carroll is a fine writer, but find his Dredd's don't quite have the tone right. I can't put my finger on why not, but they just don't feel quite right to me. I think he is much better on his own strips like Proteus Vex and Dreadnoughts, which are both modern classics.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 June, 2022, 07:38:28 PM
Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 22 June, 2022, 07:07:18 PM

Me this also! I enjoyed the core Wagner years where events had consequences. It's a fun world to play around in, and I'm not saying that's necessarily wrong - but fitting each creator's vision in and trying to call it canon makes no sense. Or, to put it another way: End of Days is fine as alternity. It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

With you all the way here. 

I'm struggling with Dredd's age too - Minus the 122 years that separate us, and adding the 5 accelerated years, he's about Joe Biden's age.  It wouldn't stretch credibility quite so much if his back pains and other ageing issues hadn't begun over 30 years ago.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"