Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: I am like a chameleon always changing my wardrobe

Started by broodblik, 22 June, 2022, 04:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

He is "man" travelling through time and space who gets resurrected every now and then. His surname is Who and his name is Doctor it is Doctor Who. Simple question - who is your favorite modern incarnation of Doctor Who:
- Christopher Eccleston Ninth Doctor (2005)
- David Tennant Tenth Doctor (2005–2010)
- Matt Smith Eleventh Doctor (2010–2013)
- Peter Capaldi Twelfth Doctor (2014–2017)
- Jodie Whittaker Thirteenth Doctor (2018–present)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I really enjoyed Matt Smith, done a good job as Tharg's little helper too!

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 June, 2022, 05:38:50 AM
I really enjoyed Matt Smith, done a good job as Tharg's little helper too!

Well if we are going to make a Tharg movie then Matt can play Matt
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

rogue69

IndigoPrime

They all have a lot going for them in some way. If I could pick a specific run, I might go for Capaldi's one with Bill, which I recall (apart from the odd clunker and Matt Lucas) being strong. But, for all its problems, I think I'd go with Smith's run marginally over Tennant's.

Eccleston's had fantastic moments but was short and too often betrayed RTD's nonsense. Tennant's too often headed into 'Doctor as God' territory and removed all meaning from the terror of an enemy. When you're eleven billion Daleks and the world ending every week, who cares? Capaldi had a weirdly uneven run, and pushed too heavily into Moffat tropes. I don't recall Smith's run suffering quite as much – although chances are I've just forgotten about it. And Whittaker is best filed under 'depressingly and horribly missed opportunity' due to some abysmal writing. One of her episodes to go and we still don't really have any idea about what her Doctor stands for (bar a bit of genocide and saying 'fam' a lot).

It says everything that we've gone from a writer who had an annoying habit of making female characters into puzzles to solve (rather than characters in their own right) to a writer who made the Doctor female and then turned her into a puzzle to solve (rather than a character in her own right). Here's hoping a much better writer gets a crack at another female Doctor in the future (because, let's face it, Jo Martin's one is about to be erased from the picture).

AlexF

Matt Smith by miles, but that's also the only modern Doctor where I was actually watching the episodes. But they've all been good in the role, even if the writing has been up and down.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

norton canes

In terms of performances, rather than story quality: Matt Smith, just, over David Tennant; who in turn shades it past Peter Capaldi, who narrowly edges Christopher Eccleston into fourth place.

Although Tennant probably gave a more rounded overall performance, Smith's natural eccentricity (his Doctorishness, as fans like to say) made him more appealing.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

jodie whittaker ... not for the often poorly scripted end results, but because the very idea of her really inspired and enthralled my sprog.

Funt Solo

Matt Smith.

Eccles Cake was good, but he's the doctor who might just murder his assistant. Tennant wasn't bad, but he's channeling Nic Cage in "Cage Emotes!" mode. Capaldi was trying to do Pertwee, but that was then and this is now. Jodie was overcast by the over-egged cast of assistants. It was more like "Middle Aged Scooby Doo", which, if you tried to sell it as a high concept would be met with either derision or immediately given funding.

So, you know, it's Matt Smith - he's dashing, he crosses the bridge between old and fuddy duddy and young and exciting. (Tom Baker, being one of a kind, will never be bested.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Eccleston for me. Just a shame there wasn't more of it.

Then probably Tennant over Smith.

I like Jodie Whitaker's portrayal, it's just that the scripts are so poor. Take the New Year's episode as an example. Once it had been established the Daleks  would kill them and they would come back, every time, they was just no jeopardy. As for the Sea Devil's episode, sorry that just made no sense to me.

My least favourite of this bunch has to be Capaldi. Then again I never watched the Thick of It and had no idea who he was. I remember the Beeb had this big unveiling show and I was like "who?".  Not to say he isn't a good actor, he just didn't feel right to in this part.

Huey2

Capaldi - series 9 and 10.
I don't think the decision to start his Doctor off so unlikeable was a great one - didn't go to well for Colin Baker either. But from then on he was absolutely fantastic.

Got to say that Moffatt was great at choosing Doctors: Capaldi and Smith were both excellent. As was Hurt as the War Doctor. All three easily near the top of an all-time faves list.
And if I'm really stretching... we can include Tom Baker as the future Doctor, David Bradley and even Colin Moon as a different future Doctor too. All brill.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Capaldi.

The most Doctorish of Doctors, and cruelly overlooked.

SBT

sheridan