Main Menu

Recent posts

General / Re: My name is Samuel C Slade ...
Last post by Barrington Boots - 29 May, 2024, 10:08:09 AM
The C stands for Collated list incoming!

Enjoy the Expo - I'm there also this weekend.
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Barrington Boots - 29 May, 2024, 10:07:08 AM
I wish. The art exhibition was practically worth it on its own - for some reason it never occured to me to take any pics.

Here's one last sketch:

Prog / Re: Prog 2384 - Urban Legend
Last post by Barrington Boots - 29 May, 2024, 09:13:49 AM
Agree that this is a 'midpoint' Prog where all the thrills focus on moving forward without a big set piece. Difficult to pick a top thrill this week as Dredd aside this is all consistenly cool stuff.

Dredd – Not clicking for me at all, although the urban legend stuff was quite interesting.

Intestinauts – Enjoyably daft stuff as the threat shifts and we learn evil tiny robot can do real damage and Intestinauts UltraMax are deployed. The highlight here has to be the Ro-Jaws tale pastiche: lovely old colours and crazy credits. The storytelling approach in this strip has been really uniuqe and fun, its a delight.

3riller – Superb move to switch up the POV for the middle episode and an excellent way to deliver som exposition. This has been superb so far: looks great, real air of mystery instead of predictability. Can't wait to see the final part.

Brink – Take page 4 out, and this issue Bridget gets a phone call and then speaks to Bonner and Lind without any major revelations. There's a real skill in taking what another strip could have done in a few panels and making it feel interesting and natural. Page 4 is the interesting one however: I'd assumed the unseen victim was the body we saw a couple of episodes ago, but it seems not. Are we seeing those frames as flashback from the sleeper (Regina)? I notice she has heterochromia going on and would guess this is significant.

Vex – More expositiony and less dramatic moments than the last couple of episodes. A little surpried to see Vex and Tiorn ally up so quickly. There's some major plot reveal here and yes, I think we're about to see some old friends reunited.
Off Topic / Re: Boys Adventure comic blog
Last post by Richard S. - 29 May, 2024, 09:06:35 AM
Quote from: Richard S. on 29 May, 2024, 06:33:08 AMA very late shout-out for this auction of Oliver Frey art that's up for sale today - there's at least one page of comic art (from Look & Learn), other material that may be original art (or just prints) plus some of his 'racier' material too!

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2024/05/oliver-frey-art.html

Actually the sale is tomorrow, Thursday 30th May - sorry!
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Large48 - 29 May, 2024, 08:18:58 AM
Ant pictures of the art exhibition????
Last post by broodblik - 29 May, 2024, 06:57:24 AM
Again, another solid prog but it does feel like we are entering the stage where everything is midway. Midway is where you sometimes feel like maybe it is time to just get on with it but still another 5 star prog.

Dredd – This episode gives us some backstory into the folk legends of the Meg, and it pivot the story towards a confrontation between Dredd and IT. Lovely artwork from mister horror himself, Nick Percival.

Intestinauts – We are very much in set up territory here heading for the final battle. Nice touch on the backstory with the old Credits and some B/W.

3riller – The focus changes slightly as we see the story out of the viewpoint of the mechas. The middle landed hopefully the ending will land as well. A very good 3riller one of the best the last few years.

Brink – Brink continues too slowly burn with the second last page being the most interesting. Good stuff as always

Vex – Are we heading for the end game here? More backstory adding some extras layers to the story. Solid thrill as always.

This round I must say no clear favorite, but I will go with Brink this time with the 3riller close on its heels.
Last post by Richard S. - 29 May, 2024, 06:40:10 AM
A quick reminder about these 2 Leo Baxendale pages that are up for auction later today - I'll update the blog later with prices realised

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2024/05/leo-baxendales-supercomic.html
Last post by Richard S. - 29 May, 2024, 06:33:08 AM
A very late shout-out for this auction of Oliver Frey art that's up for sale today - there's at least one page of comic art (from Look & Learn), other material that may be original art (or just prints) plus some of his 'racier' material too!

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2024/05/oliver-frey-art.html
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
Last post by Colin YNWA - 28 May, 2024, 10:14:02 PM
Carnival of Souls is one of those films it feels like you should see, or even should have seen a long time ago. Is it a fumbling B movie or an lost art lose classic. Well if I'm honest I lean more to the former than the latter.

Its intent is clear, but to be honest that intent isn't much more than a half decent Twilight Zone story. There are moments when it does look fantastic. So when Mary is playing the creepy organ music in the church and the souls lurch out the water in her minds eye. This magic is immediately lost to the hocky dialogue and terrible performance as the minister admonishes her. There are numerous examples like that.

The end is half decent but really for me this falls well short of being the classic its often cited as being.
Last post by Le Fink - 28 May, 2024, 10:01:27 PM
Yes the Dredd is mainly giving us some lore but I don't mind and some great visuals here, particularly the shift into a mainly red palette.

The 3riller also tells us how we got here but does it in a more interesting way, with the shift in perspective as Colin mentioned. Great euro-comic style art. This is a good 'un.

Intestinauts as with the first two strips another explainy one, we find out more about the bizarre Intestinauts company. Bit of experimentation with the art this time, rather than the 'choose your own adventure' of last week. Liking it, fun strip.

Brink nice to see Gita again. And the story's side reason for Lind's presence makes itself known. 7 episodes in and things are building nicely. The recurring theme of golf is pretty funny. Not a lot happens in this episode but it's not happening in a very intriguing and engaging way. There's your strapline!

Proteus Vex another one with mainly exposition. I suppose it's about time we were told what's going on with Vex and it looks like the gang are all going to get together... looking forward to it!

Yeah not quite as good as last week but still good progage. I think the 3riller takes top thrill for me this week.