Main Menu

Gunman kills 12 in Denver shooting at "Batman" movie

Started by CYCLOPZ, 20 July, 2012, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

Quote(Reuters) - A masked gunman killed 12 people at a midnight showing of the new Batman movie in a suburb of Denver early on Friday, sparking pandemonium when he hurled a gas canister into the auditorium and opened fire on moviegoers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/20/us-usa-shooting-denver-idUSBRE86J0AM20120720

Dandontdare

Holy shit. We'll get all the usual dickheads now saying that it's the movie's fault.

Rush Limbaugh has already been taking a pop at it, he reckons that calling the villain "Bane is deliberate leftwing plot to associate negative connatations to Mitt Romney's old company Bain International (which outsourced it's workforce overseas sacking thousands of Americans) The fact that it's based on a character that was written years before doesn't seem to bother him.

Professor Bear

My first thought was this was some kind of poorly-considered viral marketing gag.  I could at least wrap my head around that.
My thoughts go out to the families of those lost.

Syne

The youngest injury - a 3 month old - was released from hospital. Not shot, so I'm guessing they were treated for tear-gas inhalation. Or maybe just given a check up.

Only named fatality so far is a young woman named Jessica Ghawi: http://twitchy.com/2012/07/20/aurora-victim-jessica-ghawi-was-tweeting-just-before-her-death/

Photographs taken before the movies started here: http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/07/photos-batman-returns-again/39864/

Pretty depressing.

TordelBack

A truly appalling, deeply upsetting event.  That stupid evil scrote. 

I know it's of no importance whatsoever in comparison, but what with me being about a planck-length shallow, I can't help fearing that our own comic book movie about a riot-armoured man going into a building and graphically killing everyone isn't going to suffer at the hands of the inevitable outrage bandwagon. I know, it's insignificant compared to this real tragedy, but I can't avoid the thought.

Syne

Quote from: Professah Byah on 20 July, 2012, 02:14:06 PM
My first thought was this was some kind of poorly-considered viral marketing gag.  I could at least wrap my head around that.
My thoughts go out to the families of those lost.

A lot of people in the cinema seemed to assume it was some kind of stunt at first. I know I probably would have. People are slow to process a sudden event like this at the best of times, and having it happen at this time and place would have exacerbated that brain freeze.  :(

von Boom

Sad and terrible news. Unfortunately there are enough demented individuals in the world to spoil what are supposed to be fun events. The only one at fault is the killer. Anyone who states differently diminishes the tragedy for the families.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 July, 2012, 02:22:55 PM
I know it's of no importance whatsoever in comparison, but what with me being about a planck-length shallow, I can't help fearing that our own comic book movie about a riot-armoured man going into a building and graphically killing everyone isn't going to suffer at the hands of the inevitable outrage bandwagon. I know, it's insignificant compared to this real tragedy, but I can't avoid the thought.

It did cross my mind but then again it's still two months away.

What madness.

HdE

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 July, 2012, 02:10:15 PM
Holy shit. We'll get all the usual dickheads now saying that it's the movie's fault.

Utterly contemptible - you'd think as a supposedly intelligent species we'd be above such idiocy by now.

As my facebook buddy Ron Fortier said over there, 'this is not a day for commentary.' Our thoughts and concerns need to be with the innocent victims.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

Obviously the man was a mental case, but it's hard not to be angry at what he's done not just to the dead and their families, but the survivors, too.  My main hope - especially when looking at those photos taken before the screening - is that all that enthusiasm, joy and love taken from something as daft and ephemeral as a film or a comic book will not be transformed into Pavlovian horror for those people, especially as the hype machine means they'll be seeing reminders of the event pretty much everywhere for months.

A.Cow

It's a horrible crime.

I'm no Yank-basher (after all there are so many great people living in the US) but I do wonder if there is something wrong with the American way of life that makes this kind of thing more likely.  After all, this is the fourth such incident this year.

On a side note, given the number of young kids involved, you have to wonder why so many people in the US think it's OK to take babies and under-tens to a two-and-a-half hour film rated/aimed at a 12 years plus audience?

Richmond Clements

QuoteI'm no Yank-basher (after all there are so many great people living in the US) but I do wonder if there is something wrong with the American way of life that makes this kind of thing more likely.  After all, this is the fourth such incident this year.

Never understood why people this this is an American probelm - we have our own fair share of nutters who go mad with guns over here.

Professor Bear

Guns are illegal here in Northern Ireland and we've had one or two shootings over the years.

Americans did not bring this on themselves and those children did nothing to deserve being shot at.  This was the work of one sick individual who could have lived anywhere.

Mikey

True Richmond and Byah - you don't need guns either. However, I can only imagine that less stringent gun control might make it easier for some halfwit to put their twisted fantasy into action.

It's an absolutely terrible event I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for the people involved.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

locustsofdeath!

At the very least they've caught the gunman alive. Most of the time, these wackos kill themselves and never have to answer for their crimes.