Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 October, 2012, 11:34:53 PM
I would not be at all upset if George Osborne died in a horrible car crash. Or from a painful form of cancer.

You never did leave the KGB.

Charlie boy

I would not be at all upset if George Osborne died in a horrible car crash. Or from a painful form of cancer.
I caught some of his speech on Newsnight. He's still using his old "all in this together" nonsense and then he gets an applause by saying the current determination of theirs is inspired by Thatcher?!
Yeah- bringing her into it will surely convince the doubters.

Goaty

There something familiar about Romney?

I wonder if JW see the future?

Charlie boy

AND on the subject of Romney/Ryan and the whole Tea Party movement...
Why is it whenever these people say they support the ideas of Ayn Rand, the Democrats don't point out that two of Rand's works (Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) feature a "strong woman" whose first sexual encounter is an act of sexual assault and both women fall in love with the men responsible? Isn't that a very dangerous idea to be putting across?

TordelBack

Quote from: Charlie boy on 08 October, 2012, 11:58:45 PMIsn't that a very dangerous idea to be putting across?

As opposed to the benign humanity espoused by the rest of her work?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Charlie boy on 08 October, 2012, 11:58:45 PM
Why is it whenever these people say they support the ideas of Ayn Rand, the Democrats don't point out that two of Rand's works (Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) feature a "strong woman" whose first sexual encounter is an act of sexual assault and both women fall in love with the men responsible? Isn't that a very dangerous idea to be putting across?

It worked great in WATCHMEN

Charlie boy

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2012, 12:21:29 AM
As opposed to the benign humanity espoused by the rest of her work?
Ha you've got me trying to think of a character in either book who could be described as being kind or decent and it's proving difficult.
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 October, 2012, 12:27:42 AM
It worked great in WATCHMEN
That is a weird one, isn't it- especially after reading his INVISIBLE GIRLS AND PHANTOM LADIES piece. Still- there's always hope that one day when Rand's works are being viewed as something to draw inspiration from, THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j56IiLqZ9U will be shown in response...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Charlie boy on 09 October, 2012, 12:52:59 AM
That is a weird one, isn't it- especially after reading his INVISIBLE GIRLS AND PHANTOM LADIES piece.

It's human and within the context of a story in a comic that's very self-aware.

Charlie boy

I get that myself but I remember either on the In Search of Steve Ditko documentary or maybe even Comics Britannia Moore explained that whole development on camera. Him doing that had me wonder whether the producer had actually asked him why he'd written that or whether Moore wanted to discuss it himself because a small number of people (hopefully small, anyway) could have looked at that as some kind of misogynistic fantasy or something along those lines. I understand people can see whatever meaning they want in whatever they're paying attention to, but Moore explaining that some 30 years or so after it had first been printed just seemed a little strange to me. Stranger yet was The Daily Mail etc weren't demanding this disgusting material be taken from the shelves immediately afterwards...

Beaky Smoochies

...and finally he hits rock bottom, been a while coming too, you either need to get a reality check or a seriously strong human compassion transfusion, Rich dude, you may not agree with Osborne's political views, but "horrible car crash", "painful form of cancer", that is both genuinely sad and truly malevolent that I thought not even possible by your own (admittedly low) standards, not to mention utter malice of such I had yet to encounter on this forum, sad dude, genuinely, genuinely sad, I pray you nor anyone you love (besides yourself, clearly) are neither in a "horrible car crash" nor develop "a painful form of cancer", but just one more thing before I logout, you posted THIS on the Prometheus  thread on October 4 this year;

Mmm... maybe you missed my post about not making this personal?
This stops now.
By all means, talk about how Prometheus is rubbish, but do not make any more posts like this.

... by that same standard, are you going to reprimand, ban, or remove yourself as moderator from this forum, if not, more than a little hypocritical, wouldn't you say, I await your (no doubt) venomous and oh-so-witty response, but I'll not hold my breath ::), 'nuff said... and then some!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Jim_Campbell

Really struggling with that vow to leave and never come back, aren't you, Beaky? I'm not surprised that I can add "hypocrite" and "liar" to the long list of your reprehensible character traits.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Mild-mannered humanist RAC goes all Old Testament on the money-changers for once, and right-wing heathen-smiter Beaky disapproves?  I don't know what to think now. 

I will say this, though: getting 'personal' about some sleazebag politico on the Political Thread is one thing, getting personal about a highly valued member of this fan community is something else.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 October, 2012, 07:48:39 AM
Really struggling with that vow to leave and never come back, aren't you, Beaky? I'm not surprised that I can add "hypocrite" and "liar" to the long list of your reprehensible character traits.

Jim has put it better than I could.
I'm touched that your need to defend a right wing millionare against a post I made on a site about a comic prompted you to break your word.
And do me a afavour - if you're praying for me, make it to Odin. He's cool and has a groovy horse. Not really interested in that Jimmy Saville peadophile ghost fella you claim to follow.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2012, 08:35:55 AM
Mild-mannered humanist RAC goes all Old Testament on the money-changers for once, and right-wing heathen-smiter Beaky disapproves?  I don't know what to think now. 

I will say this, though: getting 'personal' about some sleazebag politico on the Political Thread is one thing, getting personal about a highly valued member of this fan community is something else.

HUG!

The Prodigal

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2012, 08:35:55 AM

The money changers and the worship of power and wealth get a fair hammerin' in the new testament as well Tordelback. Indeed the use of, and attitude to, power and wealth is used as one of the primary indicators of where our hearts truly lie. Unfortunately a lot of this is often ignored. I would say more about Jimmy saville but can't remember reading that bit.

Beaky fella I would agree that wishing ill on anyone (e.g. Iranians) isn't the best of sentiments except I don't think Richmond was actually wishing that. He doesn't need me to talk for him but I think he was just expressing extreme anger at something and this Christian shares the anger if not the expression of it.

All the best fellas. Mrs Merton would be proud of us.

Ps I really like Odin too. Huge Thor fan me-massive comic collection on that front.