Main Menu

The Strangeness of Brendan McCarthy

Started by ming, 15 May, 2012, 10:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Denton

Leni Riefenstahl, DW Grifiths and Sergei Eisenstein are all pretty well remembered.

Skullmo

Artist makes comment to artist on Facebook regarding his opinion about use of news to promote a biased view of crime for political purposes.

World ends.
It's a joke. I was joking.

MenschMaschine

Yes, though with the exception of Eisenstein, the other 2 are solely remembered by their highly questionable political engagements.

Steven Denton

Quote from: MenschMaschine on 09 November, 2013, 12:44:56 PM
Yes, though with the exception of Eisenstein, the other 2 are solely remembered by their highly questionable political engagements.

No they aren't Leni Riefenstahl, DW Grifiths are rebred for their contribution to cinema, the political associations are part of that but their politics are only remembered because of their contributions to film making.   

MenschMaschine

For me and for you and other filmmakers and whoever is somehow involve in arts, yes, the point is, on the collective view their are only remembered for add aesthetical beauty to horrible ideology. I'm not sure how is the relation of US towards  Griffin's work but in Germany you can't praise Riefenstahl achievements without people look at you strangely.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Brendan McCarthy
Nobody would blink if you featured a stereotypical inbred, buck-toothed white southerner in a comic,

I was moaning about that particular cliché to someone a couple of weeks ago.

Some left-leaning folk are, of course, entirely capable of being just as idiotic or hypocritical as right-leaning folk, but from what I've seen, the right wingers do tend to be a bit more insane about it.

Having said that, I do remember someone who disagreed with Frank Miller do something particularly mental on youtube. Totally devoid of irony, he showed his disgust towards Miller's political views by setting fire to his copy of The Dark Knight Returns.

Yup, he demonstrated his opposition to a right wing mind-set by having a book burning. The eejit.

MenschMaschine

QuoteYup, he demonstrated his opposition to a right wing mind-set by having a book burning. The eejit.

That's the whole point. I get really concerned when people of both sides start to dehumanize their opposite.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: M.I.K. on 09 November, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
Yup, he demonstrated his opposition to a right wing mind-set by having a book burning. The eejit.

Then maybe he was being ironic. Not as if Maoist China was in the habit of burning books.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

BPP

Holy fxxk. Can you all just shut up so that he dosent get fxxked off with working in comics again?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

ming

Brendan: Rich Johnston has published an apology and a few words from me about his recent Bleeding Cool article that characterised me as some kind of "right winger" and sparked a lot of hate mail. I think he has acted in a fair and ethical fashion, and I doff my trilby to him.

He also includes an exclusive look at THE DELETED, my new short series coming next month in Dark Horse Presents. Click below if you want a gander.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/10/brendan-mccarthy-that-article-and-the-deleted/

Anyone else fancy taking their foot out of their mouth?

The joys of the interwebs!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Looks feckin' ace, that Deleted stuff.  Is that colouring job by him too?  Suppose it must be; good to see he's as good at computer colouring as he is at painting
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

I thought Bleeding Cool was a carbuncle of a cesspool of an eyesore of a website and an insult to all that's holy? Surely this about-face merely weakens McCarthy's position?

CrazyFoxMachine

Dandontdare

Even after all that disambiguity, one commentator still writes:
QuoteIt is with great regret I must announce I'll be wiping my arse on a copy of Judge Dredd Atlantis tonight
::)