Main Menu

The Strangeness of Brendan McCarthy

Started by ming, 15 May, 2012, 10:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

So... Frank Miller spouts right wing nonsense he's fair game, but if it's someone you like..?

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 November, 2013, 06:02:52 PM
This place is bizarre sometimes - it's the only place on the web I've seen a moderator being slagged by a commentator to stick to the point of a rather hazy thread title whose purpose he has personally decided, along with what is acceptable debate.

Not really. The last 16 pages of this thread have been dedicated to someone's artwork. Doesn't feel right to just suddenly throw in "Oh and he might be a racist too...", no...?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

Unfortunately it seems to be anything that appears on this forum is grist to the mill for Bleeding Cool who has now added it to its daily ablutions .

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Don't see why people are complaining about Richmond. His post is obviously on topic, and important to consider if McCarthy is someone who's work you choose to support.

blackmocco

Well good job. We managed to smear someone as a racist and lunatic over the course of a morning from a snippet of a conversation none of us were a part of. For all we know, those links to articles may simply have been research to a project. If anyone saw my internet history based on research for Family Guy, I doubt I'd come out of this too well either. Great stuff.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

CrazyFoxMachine

Bleeding Cool really is the comics equivalent of a tabloid isn't it?

blackmocco

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2013, 06:06:41 PM
So... Frank Miller spouts right wing nonsense he's fair game, but if it's someone you like..?

And that's the difference: Miller spouts it. At every opportunity. A snippet of a private conversation is hardly the same situation.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Richmond Clements

Quote from: blackmocco on 08 November, 2013, 06:14:58 PM

And that's the difference: Miller spouts it. At every opportunity. A snippet of a private conversation is hardly the same situation.

Can you explain how something on facebook is any way close to being a private conversation?

TordelBack

Ach, I really hate the hungry maw of click-bait that is Bleeding Cool.  Although I think this started on Twitter, not here.

Look, plenty of intelligent creative types have a mistrust of the way segments of the media serve up particular consensus-building views of the world.  They toss questioning ideas back and forth, not all of them right or well-formed, and it'd be a strange kind of original thinker who did otherwise.  Sometimes this means saying something stupid and sticking by it even more stupidly.  End of story.

It's entirely right and proper to consider a creator's views and politics when assessing his work, but there's a hell of difference between arguing a (misguided, IMHO) view of reporting biases in a Facebook exchange and producing dozens of pages of racist/sectarian piffle and calling it art, or backing it with hateful rants in interviews. 

I doubt there's a person on here who doesn't occasionally trot out one real-world opinion or another that's anathema to most of us.  What matters is how we behave every day, not any single moment.  Not one other thing about Brendan suggests to me he's anything other than a righteous dude.

blackmocco

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2013, 06:24:36 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 08 November, 2013, 06:14:58 PM

Can you explain how something on facebook is any way close to being a private conversation?

Because none of us discussing this were intended as a part of the actual conversation. I'm not defending his statements, let it be said. Just his right to have a - albeit misguided - discussion with his peers. Like CFM said earlier, if he'd launched a blog post intended to air his views publicly this would be a very different debate. Anyway. That's that, I guess. If you'll excuse me, I'm off to draw insulting stereotypes of middle eastern men for a primetime animated show.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

JOE SOAP

I go to Brendan McCarthy for great art; I don't go to him for sociology.

Professor Bear

Quote from: blackmocco on 08 November, 2013, 06:06:58 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 November, 2013, 06:02:52 PM
This place is bizarre sometimes - it's the only place on the web I've seen a moderator being slagged by a commentator to stick to the point of a rather hazy thread title whose purpose he has personally decided, along with what is acceptable debate.

Not really. The last 16 pages of this thread have been dedicated to someone's artwork. Doesn't feel right to just suddenly throw in "Oh and he might be a racist too...", no...?

If you raised this objection in defence of John Byrne, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, and many other chaps who said or wrote something silly or misguided and it was commented upon here on the board in threads that may not have been an appropriate venue, then fair play - but this isn't the first time such things have come up for debate here, making it fair game for debate now unless for some reason certain boarders think an exception should be made.   Facebook is also not a private venue, it is a public forum as even people's grandads know, and if you want it private there are settings to make it so, again making it fair game.

blackmocco

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

hippynumber1

Can everyone just hug and make friends again now please...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 November, 2013, 06:38:53 PM

I go to Brendan McCarthy for great art; I don't go to him for sociology.

Does that count for everyone, or just artist you like?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6217390.stm