Main Menu

League of extraordinary tosh

Started by Quirkafleeg, 22 October, 2006, 04:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quirkafleeg

The League of Extraordinay Gentleman is on C4 tonight at 8pm... As I've not seen I might torture myself for a few minutes.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbeV6as86g" target="_blank">we are league!

Concrete Block 15

Woolly

Woolly

philt

Better than the witless comic it's based on. Moore takes a superb set up and pisses it up against the wall. The second volume is worse. I mean what scenario could be better? The Martians invade earth and we have a team of legendary literary charactors to fight them. There should have been fireworks. Instead Moore choses to concentrate on fleshing out these one dimensional pulp charactors in the off chance we'd care. A wasted opportunity.
It's the last time I'll rely on reviews to buy graphic novels sight unseen.  

Concrete Block 15

Hmmm.
Not gonna be queuing up for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier, then (whenever they decide to eventually fuckin' release it.) ;-)

Instead Moore choses to concentrate on fleshing out these one dimensional pulp charactors
But that's his thing wot he does innit (with different degrees of success, admittedly.)

Gotta love that O'Neill art though, no?

Goaty

But i love the cover of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1, it very classic, I really wish there is big poster of it, so i would like it!

question, who is that girl in mirror?

Link: http://www.pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/league.gif" target="_blank">great poster!

Dudley

philt

Yeah the art is superb but I wish we'd seen O'Neill being given free range on the Martian Invasion.

Mikey

I watched the first hour of this-it was more shite than I feared.

The way Quartermain is portrayed in the comic,as in how Mina finds him,surely gives an element of conflict and realism to the character as opposed to him having a monk on while sitting in a gent's club in Africa.

The problem is,as usual,filmakers think comics=children even if the source is pitched a bit higher.Make it a fuppin 18,show Quartermain as an opium fiendn you berks!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Quirkafleeg

Well I watched it with low expectations and it sunk even below them. I loved every minute of its rank awfulness...

Mikey

You,sir,are a glutton for punishment!You might as well be French!

;)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Chris H

Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. What were you expecting? Tarrantino? Battleship Potemkin?

Dark Jimbo

My doctor has advised against me ever watching this. Blood pressure, and all that. I had a cardiac arrest the first time I saw the trailer in cinemas, and haven't been the same since.

Oh, and I'll fight to the death anyone who disparages the mighty League. Philt - you and me, outside - now! ;)
@jamesfeistdraws

Adrian Bamforth

I quite enjoy the film, though I didn't find the comic quite as memorable as his others such as Promethea (though I might be missing a lot of literary references), so I don't mind if they also take these characters that weren't created by Moore anyway and do something similar. Connery isn't at the height of his powers but it's good pulpy fun.

ADE