Main Menu

Prog 2125 - Brave New World?

Started by Richard, 31 March, 2019, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Amazed no one has reviewed this yet!

The latest Judge Dredd story finishes, and although it is a comedy it has a surprisingly bleak ending. I was pleased to see Chief Judge Logan in this episode so soon after becoming chief judge: Tharg has been careful to co-ordinate the stories properly, instead of just having CJ Hershey with a footnote saying "this story is set before Machine Law"  or something.

A good episode of Kingmaker re-introduces all the bad guys and reminds us of who they are very effectively. This episode works as a little story on its own, like a five-page Future Shock.

Survival Geeks is fun.

Max Normal is better than it was last week.

Grey Area finishes pretty much the way you'd want it to. Tharg says Abnett's and Harrison will be back later with an entirely new series called The Out, so presumably that's the last of Grey Area for a while.

73north

a pretty good issue , highlight was King Maker and Grey Area ,
and I agree Max Normal was a lot better this week

Bolt-01

That ending in Dredd- Woo! That was a lot 'deeper' than I was expecting for such a 'light' strip. Congrats to all involved and an extra oil ration for the Goddard droid.

A superb prog.

#praiseTharg.

sheridan

Quote from: 73north on 31 March, 2019, 03:59:14 PM

He must be refreshed upon his return from the [size=78%][url=https://ospreypublishing.com/store/osprey-games/board-card-games/judge-dredd-the-cursed-earth]https://ospreypublishing.com/store/osprey-games/board-card-games/judge-dredd-the-cursed-earth[/size][/font]][/size][size=78%]Cursed Earth :-)[/size]

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 01 April, 2019, 01:01:55 PM
Quote from: 73north on 31 March, 2019, 03:59:14 PM

He must be refreshed upon his return from the Cursed Earth :-)

SMF seems even more temperamental than usual today :-(

Trout

That was top Dredd. Am I reading too much into it, or was Dredd's ruined uniform intended to mirror some of its damage during the Apocalypse War? There's even a stain on his badge where the bullethole was.

Survival Geek and Max Normal were still good fun, and I'm happy to see a bit more plot in Kingmaker. (Dystopian fantasy stories are common now, and this isn't the best of them. I recommend Spurrier's book Coda, from Boom.)

Look forward to new Scarlet Traces next week!

- Trout

Tiplodocus

Grand stuff.

I'm not sure the OTT comedy dialogue worked with the grim tone of the art or the ending of DREDD for me. But if played completely seriously, it would have been too fan-ficcy. So probably a good decision.

Everything else also top drawer - with a funny final panel for Grey Area being particularly pleasing.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

broodblik

Highlight was Kingmaker, I like to mixer of fantasy and sci-fi. The art is great

Grey Area comes to a closure. The nice thing about it can continue as Grey Area or this can be the last episode. It can even resurface as something different a new story in the same world. The last page with something to behold.

Enjoying Survival Geeks and Max Normal as well

Dredd last page was just great (what is with the last page - is this a new thing ?).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Only had a chance to read Dredd and Grey Area so far. The latter wraps well with a nice coda - I wonder if 'The Out' will be set in the same universe and even feature some of the Grey Area characters?

Nice to see Chief Judge Logan in action so soon but I can't help think that some reference sketches should have been sent round, because the chiseled features of Patrick Goddard's version don't bear much similarity to Colin MacNeil's original.

Dandontdare

No prog for me yet (and last couple of weeks have been Tuesday deliveries).  :(

Bolt-01

The more I look at it, the more I love that cover. The expression on the faces. Superb.

norton canes

I've literally just noticed the babies.

DrJomster

Good prog!

Special shout outs for the last panel of Dredd and the first one of Kingmaker. Very nice indeed! The Dredd one is very kinetic, while the Kingmaker one is an epic, eye grabbing opening.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Andy Lambert

When is Thistlebone starting?
Every time a strip comes to an end lately, I keep thinking "This is it", but it fails to materialise...