Main Menu

HOUND - An Irish graphic novel for Sláine fans & comic lovers in general

Started by jabish, 26 August, 2015, 09:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabish

How're ya,

I just wanted to bring a book to 2000ad fan's attention that I think they might enjoy. HOUND is an epic graphic novel series by Waterford Artist Paul Bolger and his collaborator Barry Devlin, telling the story of Cú Chulainn, famous hero of Irish mythology and one of the major influences for Sláine. Paul has worked as an animator and filmmaker as well as an artist and has credits with Aardman Studios amongst many others. His art on HOUND is is stunning black and white. Somewhere between Mignola, Kev Walker and Dom Reardon. He eventually want stop make this series into a movie. Book one was stunning in content and presentation. A beautiful book to have on the shelf. Paul is a pal but I confess to be a fan of his work as well and he's a big 2000ad nut himself.

Book one has sold out but there is a 2nd edition reprint of that on its way and Paul is currently crowdfunding the creation of Book two on Kickstarter so have a look and if you like what you see it is well worth your dosh.

Here's the kickstarter:
http://kck.st/1J1ruyx

There's more info about Hound and Paul's work here:
http://www.houndthemovie.com

Go raibh míle maith agat mo cairde,

Jamie B

Richmond Clements

Link Prime

I had a chat with Paul Bolger at DICE last year, a really nice guy and very talented artist.
At the time his 1st edition was already sold out.
Will definitely look into this, cheers Jabish.

ThryllSeekyr

I suppose quite a few people here expected me to reply to this right away....

I restrained myself in the last moments and yet it seemed this one is going to sink back into obscurity the pages that hide behind the front ones.

Looks interesting...I'm kind of jealous the art-style in the video and what I have seen of the book was going to compare this to McMahon's work...when somebody said Mignola.

Looks like Dermot Power or some other later Slaine artist commented saying they were very envious of this work. while they're credited work failed to mention Slaine himself as if to show that both him CuChullain could share the same page.

Anyway, about the art style again....it's pretty darn close to what I had in mind for my onw project regarding Slaine and kind of scare me, but I will steer clear of the direction they took it in.

I might have sent them some money, but I'm not in it right now and have already missed out on the first book, so why bother. Love the King Connor shirt with those sleeves, but like I said. I'm not really money at the moment. Too much stuff like this being put out right now could kill me.

Another thing about the music used.......is it not like Diggeridoos and that very antipodean!

Might not be the right noise and the lady singing, not sure about that either.

Perhaps they should have contacted Horslips or Alan Stivell

Dunk!

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 03 September, 2015, 01:33:55 AM
already missed out on the first book, so why bother.

No fear, you can order a second edition of the first book as part of the Kickstarter.

Hope that persuades more folks to back this as it looks stonking.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

TordelBack

Couldn't afford this the first time around, painfully tempted to kick in at the two-volume level this time.

jabish

Just a couple of days left on this guys and they are nearly there. I think the Book One & Two pack is a bargain and they now have a new reward where you can get the third book pre-ordered to get it when its finished in 2016. Its looking great and worth a punt.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dunk!

Glad this got funded and look forward to my two books (+ flattering ladies style t-shirt)

This kind of project is what the board should be highlighting.

Dunk!

"Trust we"

ThryllSeekyr

Was very nearly going to back this, didn't see the point as I had already missed out on the first volume.

Was tempted to buy the King Connor shirt with those sleeves, but hesitated on that one.

Must concentrate on Slaine instead, I have more experience there. Even if this is closer to the source written by Thomas Kinsella himself.

So, it si true he was the first to write He Didn't It Too Many!!!!

If that's true, then,Pat Mills either improved on it by it's useage making it his own.

Link Prime

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 15 September, 2015, 01:39:04 PM
Was very nearly going to back this, didn't see the point as I had already missed out on the first volume.

Did you not see Dunk's response ThryllSeekyr? A second edition of the 1st volume was also available.

ThryllSeekyr

OH....You know, after thinking about this project the first time I saw it. I thought this was another ploy to break me and some how I already am and now it's too late anyway.

Unless they decide to make more of those books and the t-shirt as well.

Yet, I think I should draw the line on my CeltaMania here.

Forgot what else I was going to add to this, but now I'm off to bed.

Dunk!

"Trust we"

Richmond Clements

QuoteI thought this was another ploy to break me

Pretty sure that's not why they're making this book.

ThryllSeekyr

So, you think I'm making a big mistake?

Is there another chance to get those?