Main Menu

Wheel Of Time.....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 30 April, 2016, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

I didn't think it was the greatest adaptation book lovers could have asked for but I think it's a good intro to the world and I'm looking forward to seeing where this can go.

Mardroid

Quote from: Radbacker on 27 December, 2021, 12:44:10 AM
We'll I didn't mind the final episode but they have made some serious changes from the books that may cause some major issues further down the track.  Still I was on the edge of my seat through most of that and the missus who hasn't read the books liked it.  Here's hoping for a bit of course correction at the start of next season which the issues they had after the actor that played Matt left the show and has now been recast.
One thing I really didn't like though [spoiler]having Nyneve get burnt out and killed by a he one power and then bringing her back to life it's a big point in the books and particularly at the end of book 3 you can't cure death, even the Dragon the most powerful chaneller ever born can't do it[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
CU Radbacker

[spoiler]I don't think Nynaeve was meant to actually be dead, but on the verge. She was healed just in time by Egwene. She did look dead though. They probably should have toned back the amount of damage she sustained.

Going by the books though, Egwene, while a powerful channeler* is not a talented healer and I'm not convinced she would have managed that. But then this isn't the books. It would have been more believable if it had been Nynaeve healing Egwene from close death as healing is very much her thing, but Nynaeve had already had her moment in the previous (rather good) Logain episode.[/spoiler]

I really enjoyed the books, (even those books in the middle that others didn't) and I enjoyed this series too, although it could have been a bit better. It does depart somewhat from the books but is pretty true to them. I think Mat's character was wrong (which isn't to knock that actor or the character he did portray... it just wasn't Mat. He is meant to be a cheeky rascal, and a bit of a rogue and a trickster,  although the actor does portray [spoiler]degradation under the influence of the Shadar Logoth dagger) [/spoiler] pretty well.

He also [spoiler] left the series too early, [/spoiler] but I understand that was due to real world stuff caused by break in shooting caused by the pandemic  and the actor's leaving which couldn't be helped. Hey probably dealt with this as well as they could.

Overall, with reservations, I enjoyed that, and I look forward to more.

*[spoiler]albeit minuscule compared to Nynaeve, but she is exceptionally powerful.[/spoiler]

broodblik

I just finished the first season and just before that I have read the first two books. Now everything is fresh in my mind and I can compare apples vs apples. As a first season the show is quite enjoyable as an adaption to the books it felt more like the people writing the script did not read the book but was told of the book. The last few episodes completely ignored what happened in the book especially how the riles each character played.

As a show I will give it a good 7 for an adaption I will give it 3.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.