Main Menu

Humble Bundle 2000ad

Started by user2000, 19 August, 2020, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user2000

Not sure if this is the right place... anyway:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-2000-ad-more-books

Thought I would treat the little people in my house to these complete stories as they like reading them in one book like these rather than week to week in the old progs.

Unfortunately the files offered are so badly compressed that reading them is going to be sore on the eyes.  The colours are ruined by the banding introduced by the small filesizes and the fonts and speech balloon are jagged and hard to read.  It's all very off putting.

Just to check - I usually buy the physical trades from the shop (I'm a sucker for all the old Treasury material) and it looks a hell of a lot better than this - so if I buy digital files do they all look as bad as the ones on offer in this Humble Bundle?

user2000

Should say this mostly relates to the CBZ files on offer - the PDF's are generally much better, although some have an even smaller filesize than the equivalent CBZ.

I, Cosh

Quote from: user2000 on 19 August, 2020, 07:58:33 PM
Just to check - I usually buy the physical trades from the shop (I'm a sucker for all the old Treasury material) and it looks a hell of a lot better than this - so if I buy digital files do they all look as bad as the ones on offer in this Humble Bundle?
How are you reading them? What device and software?
We never really die.

user2000

Quote from: I, Cosh on 19 August, 2020, 10:13:04 PM
Quote from: user2000 on 19 August, 2020, 07:58:33 PM
How are you reading them? What device and software?

Tried a few options, results are the same.

Cover on Windows
Perfect Viewer on Android

I use Chunky on iPad - and its the 12.9" model so shows it up real bad.

The PDF's are mostly better, but some are not - the Zenith Vol.3 is 100MB on CBZ - jaggies all round, whereas the PDF is 13MB and is a blur fest.

Brink vol.1 is especially bad on CBZ, jaggies and colour banding whereas the PDF is OK.

That's only the ones I've looked at - Kingdom is the same - a 25MB filesize for the CBZ is not going to cut it for 148 pages - it looks awful.

sintec

Just grabbed this and the cbzs seem ok to me - I only had a quick skim through Brink and Zenith mind will take a more comprehensive look over lunch. I'm using an Samsung Android tablet running Comicat as a reader - in case that's important.

sintec

Okay yeah having stared at a few more of these I have to concur, the resolution on some of these files is terrible. Guess I'll have to grab the pdfs and see if those are better. Compared to other Humble Bundles I've bought recently this is a really poor show from Tharg. This could turn away new readers if they come away thinking this is the standard they can expect for digital comics from 2000AD/Rebellion.

IndigoPrime

I've prodded a PTB and the information has been relayed to Humble Bundle. Hopefully they will update the files.

Echidna

That's good to hear. I seem to remember one of the manga bundles had similar compression issues and was eventually fixed. Nearly bought this yesterday the moment I saw the thrill-mail but I guess I'll wait and see.

Bolt-01

There is some great content on there. Fingers crossed they sort the file sizes out.

Link Prime

If I had a Euro for every 99 Cents I've spent on Humble Bundle 'Tier 1' deals, I'd be a wealthy man indeed.

Laser Skeleton

I bought it but have received nothing! Unless I'm doing something very wrong, no content sent!  :'(

sintec

They don't send you the content you should now have access to download it.  You should be able to access your purchases via the Icon in the top right of the toolbar next to the search box.

Here's hoping they upgrade the cbrs.

Laser Skeleton

Ah no I see what it was - they had emailed me a link to the downloads but my mail settings wouldn't let it through. Go me! Cool that you can't delete posts from here that make you seem a but silly.

Laser Skeleton

Ha! Or a bit even! Dearie me.

Bolt-01

Tharg's not big on boarders ret-conning posts...