Main Menu

RIP Eric Bradbury

Started by Wake, 21 December, 2001, 04:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

The following message was posted today on the Dan Dare yahoo group. I've replied to it mentioning that Eric also did work for 2000AD. Hopefully I'll be able to put up a mini bio and photo on his droid page based on the fanzine tribute mentioned below.

Wake

I've heard from former 'new' eagle editor Barrie Tomlinson that Eric Bradbury died a few months ago. Eric contributed to Eagle, Scream and Battle and is best known for Doomlord. A tribute to Eric will follow
in Eagle Flies Again in due course.

Link: Eric Bradbury Profile page

Thread Zero

He drew lots of Tharg tales in the specials over the years.

Plus I remember his Dracula art in Scream.

scojo

Wood

Really sorry to hear that.

It'd be unfair just to mention Eagle and 2000AD. He drew tons of stuff for Valiant and Lion, and tons of British comics going back to the 60s too, like Adam Eterno, Mytek the Mighty, Cursitor Doom, and tons of other stuff. And he was a really excellent and atmospheric artist, too.          

paulvonscott

I've enjoyed a lot of Eric's work over the years in a variety of comics, so it has been quite sad to hear that he has died.  

Thinking of the comic strips he drew takes me back to when I was a kid reading Doomlord. I think he captured the humour of some of the strips he did very well.

Is there any chance we could have one of the stories he illustrated online for people to read?

Trough

We've all seen Eric Bradbury's work at some time or other, and this is very sad news.

Hear hear to Wake's suggestion.  Any chance of some sort of tribute?

Trough

Wake

Absolutely...

The question is which one. I have 29 listed for 2000AD and 9 for annuals and specials. For the Thrillviewer. Only Mean Arean Book 2(co drawn with others) is too long for the Thrillviewer.

Which story would people like to see? Either make suggestions here or get voting.

Unfortunately I may not be able to put up anything from annuals or yearbooks since I don't want to break the spine on my books...but I'm definitely going to reread "Death of a Droid" from the 2000AD 1995 Yearbook

Link: 2000AD Yearbook 1995

Trough

Oops.  I meant Paulvonscott.  Sorry guys.

Trough

O Lucky Stevie!

i remember, as i entered my teens, being non-plussed at eric's art on thatg strips upon their original publication (at the time considering thag tales as being too silly, which is exactly the whole point & why they are such fun), instead being distracted by  the letratone phantasmagoria of kevin o'neill & the lunatic grace of ian gibson.

but with the passage of time i returned to the wide eyed child who was awestruck over his work on Adam Eterno & the magnificently exotic Mytek the Mighty & Adaam Eterno (was it also eric who drew Sark the Sleeper--my first encounter with the concept of the generation ship--in Lion & my personal favourites Pete's Pocket Army in Buster?).

it fills me with great sadness to here of eric's passing, &--despite my pubescent flirtation with what's  grown-uo & proper--in my heart i shall always be that small boy pouring over the pages of Valiant & Lion as dust motes dance in the sunlight on that eternaal Sunday morning...

god bless, eric bradbury. this world is an emptier place without you.

steven lenfant terrible

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

& an inexplicable keyboard dyslexia upon hearing this news, apparently.

in my books no other artist could have been so aptly suited to illustrating Doomlord in Eagle.

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

yes! a wonderful piece of alan moore whimsy, superbly rendered with eric's victorian-tinged proletariat atmospherics.

steven l'enfant terrible

paulvonscott

I'd quite like to be surprised, but I would like something with thrill-suckers in, though I'd be happy to see any of the stories. Mr Bradbury could draw a mean thrill-sucker and I always used to enjoy those stories.