Main Menu

Sell Me on Rogue Trooper

Started by RJMooreII, 23 September, 2010, 04:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

RJMooreII

Okay, I'm sold. I went out and bought Rogue Trooper: Future War.
@Staz Johnson: You have some pretty awesome posts around here. But I suppose that figures.

I have to say the silliest thing about any of the 2000AD progs I've read is how often enemies talk about an opponent's prowess out loud while fighting him. Very...Stan Lee.
I ♥ VIOLENCE

RJMooreII

I read something in Rogue Trooper just now that made me laugh...he's supposed to be rated at only 20% better than norms, yet he punched the head off of a robot with his bare hands. I am pretty sure if you made Ronny Coleman twice as strong he couldn't punch the head off of a robot. Metal beats flesh.
I ♥ VIOLENCE

Dash Decent

Quote from: RJMooreII on 26 September, 2010, 02:50:24 AM
I have to say the silliest thing about any of the 2000AD progs I've read is how often enemies talk about an opponent's prowess out loud while fighting him. Very...Stan Lee.

That always seemed par for the course with war comics to me ("Gotten Himmel!  These Englanders fight like madmen!") not to mention the stream-of-consciousness babble they use to let us in on their thoughts - if Dredd's going to use his boot knife, he'll shout "Boot knife!" as he's doing it.  Plus it always helps big up the character - "That's enough of me talking about myself, now it's your turn to tell me how good I am."
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Cthulouis

It's because his boot knife is voice activated.

TordelBack

Quote from: RJMooreII on 26 September, 2010, 04:24:13 AM
Metal beats flesh.

Tcch.  You're forgetting that Rogue is "gened for impact" (G.F.D. (1983), "The Frisco Phog" Part 2, in 2000AD Prog 334).

Richmond Clements

Quote from: ming on 24 September, 2010, 10:41:30 AM
Quote from: Staz Johnson on 24 September, 2010, 10:23:38 AMAll of that said, as far as I am aware, there are no plans to continue Rogue Trooper as an ongoing character beyond the strip I am drawing right now...

Nooooooooo!

An otherwise great post, Staz.

By the by, didn't biochips appear in Dredd before they cropped up in Rogue?

Yup- I'm pretty sure they appeared in an early Dredd tale.

There was also a great article in one of the old annuals with a Gibbons alternate design of Rogue.
SOmeone closer to their shelves and a scanner may be able to help...

ming

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 September, 2010, 09:49:45 AMThere was also a great article in one of the old annuals with a Gibbons alternate design of Rogue.
SOmeone closer to their shelves and a scanner may be able to help...

Well there's one of them for sale on evilBay at the moment...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROGUE-TROOPER-Original-2000AD-Concept-Art-Dave-Gibbons-/190347742713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c519c0df9

Colin YNWA

Interesting bit of history but worth £100?