73north

Prog 2149 - 2000AD 18 September 2019
My prog arrived early and on time for a change , so here is a review
The Cover artwork is by Glen Fabry and Karen Holloway - and is very good
The Interior announcement is about the brand new stories -
Judge Dredd - Guatemala by John Wagner ,
return of Fall of Deadworld and Anderson Psi Div by Alan Grant
and Defoe by Pat Mills , and the welcome return of Brank - Hate Box

Judge Dredd - Fall of Barbara Grimm ( Last part )
This was really good and enjoyed it .
Sinister Dexter - Narrow Minded
- I found the story to be very entertaining and well thought out
Future Shocks - Congested Anna -
This was a good read and was welcome - a nice change
and the Finale of
Jaegir
Yet again , Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby knocks the ball out of the park
and I can't wait for the return of this wonderful story .

For me a very enjoyable Prog and 8/10 for me .

broodblik

Awesome cover by Fabry, great to see his work back in the prog. I think his last work was in prog 1847 - Slaine Book of Scars
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Technically, it's a Karen Holloway drawing that's only been 'coloured' by Glenn Fabry.

Let the detailed, nuanced discussion of collaboration in art and the undervalued contribution of creators other than writers and artists begin.

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 14 September, 2019, 10:30:33 AM

Technically, it's a Karen Holloway drawing that's only been 'coloured' by Glenn Fabry.

Let the detailed, nuanced discussion of collaboration in art and the undervalued contribution of creators other than writers and artists begin.

I'd be interested to see the pencils of that, to see how much each creator brought to the finished product - there's something about the texture that reminds me of Glenn's Diceman covers from the mid-eighties.

Richard

That's a great cover, but it's a shame that the massive tag line obscures the car.

Barbarbara Grimm ends well. I may have already said this last week, but Nick Dyer's art is really good these days.

Sinister Dexter takes an interesting turn.

I enjoyed the Future Shock. Six pages instead of the usual four. A really interesting idea, and fabulous art by Fabry and Holloway. (The credit says colours by Adam Brown, so Fabry must have done more than just colour in. And it does look like his style. Pencils by Fabry and ink by Holloway maybe?)

I like Future Shocks, so I'm glad there's another one next week.

Finally, there's the last episode of Jaegir, in which the main character seems to have taken her recent captivity and torture rather badly. It will be interesting to see where her next story takes her.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Richard on 14 September, 2019, 12:14:06 PM
That's a great cover, but it's a shame that the massive tag line obscures the car.

Barbarbara Grimm ends well. I may have already said this last week, but Nick Dyer's art is really good these days.

Sinister Dexter takes an interesting turn.

I enjoyed the Future Shock. Six pages instead of the usual four. A really interesting idea, and fabulous art by Fabry and Holloway. (The credit says colours by Adam Brown, so Fabry must have done more than just colour in. And it does look like his style. Pencils by Fabry and ink by Holloway maybe?)

From speaking to Karen, she did the pencils on the cover and Glenn painted it.

On the interiors, my understanding is she did the layouts on all but the first page (which Glenn did himself, baring colours) and Glenn did the inks.

metcalfecarr

Is this a first, the cover going to a Future Shock?

If they're all this good I'm bang up for more
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

I, Cosh

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 14 September, 2019, 01:05:55 PM
Is this a first, the cover going to a Future Shock?

If they're all this good I'm bang up for more

Not the first, but there's not been many
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 14 September, 2019, 12:34:09 PM
From speaking to Karen, she did the pencils on the cover and Glenn painted it.

On the interiors, my understanding is she did the layouts on all but the first page (which Glenn did himself, baring colours) and Glenn did the inks.

Cheers, Paul.

Tjm86

As much as the debate about the artwork on this week's Future Shock has been engaging, I would like to spare a moment for the writing.  I can't think of a FS that has managed to find such a subtle, nuanced take on the subject matter in a long time.  I don't think it is going to be appropriate to go into too much detail prior to the prog hitting the stands, even with spoiler tags, but for me this is the best one in a long time.

Each time I've re-read it (and that says something in itself) I've found something else.  Knowing the punchline actually gives it greater depth and foregrounds aspects previously missed.  I would also say that this is one of those occasions when the integral work of the letterer becomes so much more apparent.  Altogether the writing and lettering draw out what appears on the surface to be a fairly mundane supernatural tale filled with pretentious psycho-religious rambling.

As I say, once this has been more widely distributed it is going to be interesting to see where the discussion leads, particularly given some of the viewpoints held by some forum members!   ;)

Geoff

Loved the Future Shock! Haven't said that before I think, at least not in modern 2000ad times.  Super art, indistinguishable to me from Fabry on his own, but there we are.  And then the tale itself, well crafted (you get it, just before, you get it) has a bit of a punch and makes you think.  If only they were all like this...

Jaegir's also been very enjoyable.  Coleby's art is great and the action packed story works. The ending is somewhat surprising though - such utter ruthlessness is a new development I think.

Although I'm not really a big fan of Sin/Dex, I'm enjoying it at the moment.  Decent action/adventure that's engaging (and easy to follow/remember) week to week.

Dredd was the only real disappointment for me. I've quite enjoyed the story and I can live with the art but its ending turns this story into just another example of Dredd failing. He has avoided getting shot/beaten/captured or held hostage so I suppose the writer has let him off lightly, just (another) unsuccessful operation.  I'll head over to the Meg and see how his operation against the Red Queen is going...         

Richard

Quotesuch utter ruthlessness is a new development I think

Yes, but not an unwelcome one. It's about the dehumanising effect of war, and I wonder if the writer had this in mind for this character all along. I thought it was but odd that the Norts would bother to have a war crimes investigator, but now I think the point all along might have been to contrast what Jaegir was like in her earlier stories with what she is becoming.

I second Tjm86's praise for the future shock writing too.

Colin YNWA

Oh we're back to the bad old days of pre-launch Progs as we get a couple of stories wrapping up, a Dredd and Jaegir in this case, a Future Shock and Sinister Dexter (double sized) stuffed in as padding and they don't even have the decency to wrap up the S&D properly....

....just like in the bad old days*...

....AND IT'S BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!

I mean this is a fine, fine Prog.

The enders, end, so, so well. Dredd is bitter and hard and then at the end throws us a line to make clear its all going somewhere. Just a genius downbeat ending. Love this. LOVE IT.

Then Jaegir is a bitter and hard and then throws us a line (or two) to make clear its going somewhere quite astonishing. So this is how villians are made. Just a genius downbeat ending. Love this. LOVE IT.

When we look at the filler the Future Shock is a bitter and har... okay, okay I'll stop this. Its just brilliant. One of the best Future Shocks we had in an age. The art - whomever did what i- s grotesque and wonderful. I half expected to come here and whitter about the fact that it was more a Terror Tale than a Future Shcok BUT its a Terror Tale AND a Future Shock with a great ending. You could argue this could be done in 2, 3 or 4 page BUT its not padded its build. Its constructed. It lead you down and dark, ugly atmospheric path, miraclously making you care for the person leading you down it. Its just wonderful. Love this. LOVE IT.

And finally we get a double sized Sinister Dexter which doesn't even finish. Except it does it just leads us to the next part. And again this is just superb. The action explodes as S&D are want to do, but it doing it it leads none of the building of its larger tales and brilliantly pulls them all together. So we now know (I think) what the voice in Ramone's head is. We know what's happening with the tattoos and all this is down with verve and character. Its action style AND the Mighty Yeowell ably aided by John Charles does wonders with the art. ... you know what comes next... love this. LOVE IT

What a Prog. I mean there's been some great Progs in the last year, two years, 10 years ... but by jiggery there's been few as good as this. And I didn't even whine about the fact that there was four thrills not five. Cos these thrill had enough fantastic for 5 thrill. Its a sure fire 5/4 from me!

*[Normalfontsize] Which actually weren't all that bad but the illusion of a rant wouldn't have worked if I'd told the truth would it [\Normalfontsize]

Proudhuff

Loving the development of Jaegir, the poisoned fruit not falling far from the tree...
Artwork on this pitched perfectly.

Dredd finishes well and its been a joy to see this seedy side of the system.
Looking forward to Judge Dredd - Guatemala by Wagner and McNeil, hinted at previously I believe.

SinDex charges along nicely and the Futureshock's a great idea which could have ben striped back a bit on text and art IMHO

Great Prog and can't wait for the jumpyonprog
DDT did a job on me