Main Menu

Prog 1824 - Back of Beyond!

Started by JamesC, 16 March, 2013, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

A pretty good prog this week I thought.

The cover is good. A nice freaky and weird image.

Dredd was really fast paced this week which is a nice change - a great action packed episode. I'm not totally convinced by the art but I think others will love it (it's a bit too Japanese looking for my taste).

Dandridge was great fun. I can't say I've been excited much by this strip in the past but I really enjoyed this episode.

The 3riller was another really fun strip. Light hearted and fast paced. A great set up and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. Some nice little details in the art too.

Stickleback looks very pretty but I find the script and art quite difficult to follow. A bit too reliant on the readers background knowledge perhaps.

Link Prime

Who're the creative teams on Dredd & 3rillers James?

JamesC

Michael Carroll and Inaki Miranda on Dredd. It's a follow up to 'Wolves' and helps clear up that controversial ending.

The 3riller is written by Gordon Rennie and Emma Beeby with art by Neil Googe.

Colin YNWA

Well one good thing about gettin' ya Prog late, at least it means the next one comes quick. New line-up here already. Its a solid if unspectacular Prog for me. Dandridge always slightly disappoints me. Its almost funny, its almost intriguing and its almost charming, maybe its trying to do to much as it never quite achieves any of its goals for me. its far from terrible just doesn't inspire me. That said with Warren Pleece on art at least it looks great.

I've never been as big a Stickleback fan as many, but really enjoyed the last series and this one starts of solidly enough. It sets up a little mystery and gets our lead back in place. Fine, but not great. Much like Dandridge though with D'Israeli on art it looks wonderful and its great fun spotting all the sci-fi references. some great classic Who monsters in particular caught my eye this week.

I really enjoyed the 3riller. It had quite a refreshing tone and all the parts seem to be 'acted' really well and felt pretty real. In contrast to what I've said before I'm not Neil Googe's biggest fan, but he was a good choice. A little nervous about what room this one has to maneuver in and hope it doesn't just become a romp. We'll see.

Bloody loved the Dredd. Not at all familiar with Inaki Miranda, the artist but he was pretty damned fine, really enjoyed his work. Loved the strip and Mike Carroll introduced a great villain. Hope this one keeps its momentum as its started at a great ol' pace.

With Zombo to come next week things are looking fine in the land of Thrills.

I, Cosh

Yep, decent Prog this week. Enjoyed every story. Nice to see the wacky Spaniards back on Dredd and demonstrating a newer, somewhat dialled down style compared to the last time we saw their work.
We never really die.

Matt Timson

Dredd:

Shenanigans! Artificial eyes that are linked through the user's central nervous system to their gun, enabling them to shoot anything they can see, is TM* Matt Timson, winner of the prestigious 'Redesign Judge Dredd' competition, 2004.

In other news- nice catch that cleared up the confusion at the end of 'Wolves.' Loved the Lawmasters.

*Or at least, that's what I intend to tell anyone that will listen.
Pffft...

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 16 March, 2013, 11:54:51 AM
Michael Carroll and Inaki Miranda on Dredd. It's a follow up to 'Wolves' and helps clear up that controversial ending.

The 3riller is written by Gordon Rennie and Emma Beeby with art by Neil Googe.

Some good stuff in store for Wednesday so.
Mike Carroll would be my favourite Dredd writer from The Bench, and Neil Googe is a much underused quality Art Droid.
Nice one.

Eamonn Clarke

References I spotted in Stickleback:
Talos from Jason and the Argonauts, Flying Monkeys from Oz, Kong, the space capsule from First Men in the Moon, H.G. Wells' Time Machine, an alien body from Quatermass and the Pit, Zarbi, Menoptra and Wirrn (both adult and larval) from Dr Who, the Hellraiser box, the musical box from Camberwick Green.

There's other stuff which looks familiar but I can't place yet.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 16 March, 2013, 07:25:47 PM
References I spotted in Stickleback:
Talos from Jason and the Argonauts, Flying Monkeys from Oz, Kong, the space capsule from First Men in the Moon, H.G. Wells' Time Machine, an alien body from Quatermass and the Pit, Zarbi, Menoptra and Wirrn (both adult and larval) from Dr Who, the Hellraiser box, the musical box from Camberwick Green.

There's other stuff which looks familiar but I can't place yet.
What is it with these constantly turning up in Edginton storys? Thats twice in a year the body from Quatermass and the Pit has appeared.

Eamonn Clarke

The library of the Brotherhood of the Book links the Edgiverse stories, although I think a lot of the visual references come from Matt D'Israeli Brooker as well.

Fisticuffs

Loved the prog this week, Dredd is a cracker, really love the art with the exception of the strange Lawmasters. The 3hriller was great too, all the various geek memorobilia in the guys room was pretty good.

Being a relative newcomer I don't know much about Stickleback, and although the art was a bit hard to follow at times for me it looks promising.

Eamonn Clarke

Also the Kali statue which I think is from the Golden Voyage of Sinbad or the other Sinbad film

JamesC

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 16 March, 2013, 09:45:56 PM
Also the Kali statue which I think is from the Golden Voyage of Sinbad or the other Sinbad film

I have a feeling that statue may be from one of the Tomb Raider films? Seem to remember Angelina fighting it!

Taryn Tailz

One of the great things about Stickleback is that after you've read it you can go back and spend ages looking at all the references in the art. Like when the Alien face hugger turned up in the Stickleback story "England's Glory".

Eamonn Clarke

Looks like it is from Golden Voyage of Sinbad. D'Israeli has used it before:
http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.co.uk/2007/01/stickleback-parts-3-4-references.html

But you are right. Lara Croft encountered a living Kali statue in one of the games.

If you are looking for Stickleback references I can humbly suggest the following:
https://sites.google.com/site/scarlettracesannotations/home