Main Menu

Case Files on Kindle £1.89

Started by gronk guy, 20 May, 2013, 02:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 May, 2013, 07:21:13 PM
The thing was running for a month, to be fair, and Amazon also clearly stated the offer would end on the 30th. I didn't grab any 2000 AD stuff (I have the paper books), but got a ton of Doctor Who and Locke and Key.

I was recommended Locke and Key by Link Prime and Albion so went ahead and got them in GN form...
If I hadn't got them in GN form I would have got them on Kindle....They're great... :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

IndigoPrime

I'd not come across Locke and Key before. I figured all five books were roughly the same price as a single paper trade, so: bought. If I like them a lot, I'll grab the paper editions later on.

Sideshow Bob

I'd think that you will really like them, IndigoPrime....
I thought they were excellent...BUT,  I started with them in Graphic Novel form so I'm sticking with that format....
I've got the 1st 4 volumes in Paperback and the 5th Volume is due out in July.....I think there is 6 in the series and that's it.....
Anyway...Enjoy .. :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mardroid

I bought a couple of Locke and Key collections at the Comixology sale recently. And they really are good. (Well the one I'm reading is, and the previous ones that I've read but do not own. I'll probably get them too at some point, but with my limited finances wanted to concentrate on just buying unread stuff this time.)

KYUSS

I didn't realise it was a promotional offer!
I wish I'd of bought more now.
I got case files 5 and the cursed earth saga as well as Origins.
Absolute bargain at those prices, not really worth it at full price for me.
Twitter:KYUSS123
XBL:KYUSS123

LorcanQ

Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2013, 12:49:01 AM
Yeah wished I'd bought more but I have all the print copies anyway and I'll keep doing that while the Kindle versions are as (understandbly) pricey as they are. The digital versions look good but you have to hold it in your hands :P

Why are they so pricey though? Theres no production costs at all compared to a graphic novel

Mardroid

Quote from: LorcanQ on 02 June, 2013, 05:17:40 PM
Quote from: opaque on 01 June, 2013, 12:49:01 AM
Yeah wished I'd bought more but I have all the print copies anyway and I'll keep doing that while the Kindle versions are as (understandbly) pricey as they are. The digital versions look good but you have to hold it in your hands :P

Why are they so pricey though? Theres no production costs at all compared to a graphic novel

I used to think this too, (concerning all ebooks not just comics) but it occurs to me most of the work is done by the creators.* To mark the price down too much would not be fair to them. Although I agree they should be cheaper.

*Ok, I suppose in 2000 Ad's case it's not the creators who directly profit from this due to the 'work for hire' model, and but I think it's fair the principle applies across the board. Whether or not the creators should profit, well, that's another debate.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: LorcanQ on 02 June, 2013, 05:17:40 PM

Don't forget in Blighty e-books attract VAT, whereas paper books do not. So that probably goes someway to explaining it, and as Mardroid rightly points out, creators and copyright holders need their share too.

IndigoPrime

Really, the only production difference in terms of costs is paper, printing and physical distribution. For some reason, a lot of people assume this is the majority cost in terms of magazines and books, whereas much of production in reality is the actual creation, editing and management of a product. On top of that, it's worth noting that distribution platforms take their cut—Comixology doesn't provide a home for comics for the good of its health; likewise, any purchase made through Apple or Amazon results in a cut going to that company. And as already noted, UK digital products require VAT, whereas print products are VAT-free.

Matt Timson

Hmm... Complete Case Files v. 4 is only 58p cheaper for me to buy as a download. I'm probably going to need slightly more incentive than that, to be honest.

Pffft...

Mardroid

Quote from: Matt Timson on 02 June, 2013, 07:20:14 PM
Hmm... Complete Case Files v. 4 is only 58p cheaper for me to buy as a download. I'm probably going to need slightly more incentive than that, to be honest.

That's fair enough. One other  incentive for me to purchase more ebooks is lack of space. My bookshelf and the smaller shelf in my computer desk (the very shelf that used to be the home of my printer before I moved it downstairs) are pretty much all full up now! And comic boxes are taking up too much space. Oh and it's nice to order and receive a book within minutes rather than wait for it to arrive in the post (although the anticipation of waiting is also a thrill all of it's own) .

I am talking about books and comics in general though. Certain things like The Case Files I'd still prefer to purchase in physical form. I this recent deal was just too good though.

I'm so glad I bought an ebook reader (2 including my tablet which has kindle and kobo apps as well as Comixology and Comic Rack for CBZ files) but I will still purchase physical books on occasion.

Matt Timson

I think the price will settle down eventually (or people will simply get used to being stuffed and just accept it- it could go either way really).

I'm a bit torn on digital pricing, to be honest- though much less so when it comes to reprint material.

Discussion for another day, I think.
Pffft...

Molch-R

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 June, 2013, 05:40:06 PM
Whether or not the creators should profit, well, that's another debate.

All creators receive reprint royalties from their books, this includes sales of ebooks.

And if you think there are no production costs in ebooks then you really have no idea about how the world of ebooks works.

LorcanQ

fair enough i suppose, just curious. top shelf, vertigo and some image comics books are pretty cheap kindle-wise so its just confusing why that's that way for some and not so for others.

Mardroid

Quote from: Molch-R on 03 June, 2013, 04:35:06 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 02 June, 2013, 05:40:06 PM
Whether or not the creators should profit, well, that's another debate.

All creators receive reprint royalties from their books, this includes sales of ebooks.
[/quoute]
That's good to know. I wasn't sure how work for hire creators stood on this considering the ownership of their characters was the company.

And if you think there are no production costs in ebooks then you really have no idea about how the world of ebooks works.
I didn't say there was no production costs for ebooks. I'd imagine it would be less taking into account the lack of printing though. My post wasn't arguing for massive reductions in the cost of ebooks compared to printed media anyway.