Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 October, 2015, 09:53:47 PM
It just bloody doesn't let up either. It cracks right into things and just like Fury Road, it just keeps cranking it out from there. Telling story, underlying themes and ideas, but never, never letting up. It keeps you engaged, entertained and is more successful than the first in being smart.

Its just the bloody good film I remember it being. Which was a relief!
Couldn't agree more. Watched The Road Warrior again last night and it still manages to hold a candle to Fury Road, which despite remarkably being the better movie is still an accomplishment.

I also watched Escape From New York, which though hold up fairly well is still ludicrously dated and hilariously daft at times.

Ghost MacRoth

Mad Max:  Fury Road

Well executed, looked great.  Bored me to tears.  Really looked forward to seeing this, but massively disappointed.  It's an action movie, so things blow up a lot, and that's fair enough.  But about 2/3 of the way in, I got kinda immune to the 'spectacle' of shit blowing up.  There was no connection to the characters for me, and I have to admit I didn't care who lived or died from a very early stage.  About the only interesting character was Nicholas Hoult, who was rather good in transitioning from War Boy to Renegade, to Hero.  Other than that, pretty much a 'meh' film for me.

Jurassic World

Exactly what I expected.  Utter pap.

Monsters Dark Continent

A very confused film.  Is it a Godzilla pic?  Is it a survivor pic?  Is it the Hurt Locker??  I dunno, and I'm not sure it did either.  Well shot and all, but dunno what the hell to make of it.

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Professor Bear

Jurassic World - bit disappointed the T-Rex and the velociraptor didn't bump fists at the end, but otherwise a solid update.  Chris Pratt isn't as annoying as usual, so that's a plus, but was that woman's elaborate death really necessary?  And I'm sorry, but "we are going to use dinosaurs as soldiers" is a stupid plot idea.  If I was making films about dinosaurs and you suggested this and you weren't drunk and/or Roger Corman I would slap you.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Zombear on 24 October, 2015, 09:55:44 PM
And I'm sorry, but "we are going to use dinosaurs as soldiers" is a stupid plot idea.  If I was making films about dinosaurs and you suggested this and you weren't drunk and/or Roger Corman I would slap you.

That might have been my idea, does that make it sound any better.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Jurassic World - bit disappointed the T-Rex and the velociraptor didn't bump fists at the end, but otherwise a solid update.  Chris Pratt isn't as annoying as usual, so that's a plus, but was that woman's elaborate death really necessary?  And I'm sorry, but "we are going to use dinosaurs as soldiers" is a stupid plot idea.  If I was making films about dinosaurs and you suggested this and you weren't drunk and/or Roger Corman I would slap you.

This review makes it sound like Danger 5 without the self awareness.
You may quote me on that.

The Adventurer

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection of F

I have to say this was a big step down from Battle of Gods. There just wasn't any real sense of fun, nor was there any real sense of threat.

I think I was most annoyed with [spoiler]Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan form not being explained or justified at all. At least in BoG Goku had to work his way into Super Saiyan God through the progression of the story. So there's a satisfactory payoff when he achieves it. This time, not at all. [/spoiler]

Really disappointing.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Adventurer on 25 October, 2015, 12:54:58 AM
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection of F

I have to say this was a big step down from Battle of Gods. There just wasn't any real sense of fun, nor was there any real sense of threat.

I think I was most annoyed with [spoiler]Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan form not being explained or justified at all. At least in BoG Goku had to work his way into Super Saiyan God through the progression of the story. So there's a satisfactory payoff when he achieves it. This time, not at all. [/spoiler]

Really disappointing.

Used to watch the original cartoon when it was in it's hey day back in 2002 for 6 months straight every morning while living in caravan park  near Cronulla in Sydney.

No cable television, (I guess!) is at least better than no television at all.

I didn't do much else at the time in those days and would then proceed to play Dark Cloud alternated with Pigs of War (With the late [n]Rick[/b] from the Young Ones voice over that Your doing a man's job! over and over again is better and funnier than you may think it is!)

I didn't think the cartoon was that bad back then and a better alternative to Pokémon. Each episode seemed to revolve more around flexing muscles and seeing who could best who in a one on one duel than any type of story and was still enjoyed.

Brought one of the fighting games for PSTWO and kind of like it, but I don't use that console any more.

Didn't think much of the live action film, it was coloured by numbers while me leaving me thinking they might bothered with the live action at all. The humour and the funny voices, I don't think they were transferred quit how I like.

As for Justine Chatwin....Goko, he is not!

Spikes

As they are all the rage at the minute, The Back to the Future trilogy....
And, why not. Good fun films.

And a bit of a Hammer fest, as Ive purchased the Arrow release of The Hounds of the Baskervilles, amongst a few other vintage Hammer Blu-rays.

TordelBack

Quote from: Zombear on 24 October, 2015, 09:55:44 PMAnd I'm sorry, but "we are going to use dinosaurs as soldiers" is a stupid plot idea.  If I was making films about dinosaurs and you suggested this and you weren't drunk and/or Roger Corman I would slap you.

In the context of the movie world itself, it's not that stupid.  Dinotroopers are something proposed by one clearly insane and not terribly bright individual, everyone else involved with the dinos agrees that it's madness, including the senior Ingen personnel, and the only one who seems happy to go along is Dr Wu, who just wants the opportunity to continue making the crayzee-est shit imaginable.  And anyway, as Wu points out, none of the creatures on the island are actually dinosaurs: they're lab creations tailor-made for entertainment value.   So why not try to salvage what is presently a loss-making operation by expanding your market to include the $600-billion US Defense budget? 

Personally I can't wait to see these ideas teased out in the sequel.

I'm not really sure what people wanted from JPIV (surely not a sensible plot?), seeing as JPI-III had already tackled so many action sub-genres: JPI is a slicky-made monster movie set in a zoo with a nice SF concept which is fullty played out by the end; JPII is a lost-world explorers film with a messy ecological fable thrown in; JPIII is a sraightforward jungle survival movie where unlikely companions learn to work together, with pretty much no subplot or subtext.  Jurassic World is a disaster-slash-monster movie set in a theme park, with Dr Moreau overtones and some kind of a message about treating animals as animals, and it's a perfectly good one of those. 

Tiplodocus

Final Destination 5 somehow.

Actually it was good fun. Nicely realised opening disaster, two great suspenseful kills (some of the others are a bit rushed) and at least one twist I didn't see coming (and one I did).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

I've still to get to Final Destination, as it sits on my dvd pile of horror flicks to watch as we approach Halloween, but every time I try to watch it, I bung on something else as it's a film called FINAL Destination that has four sequels.

Tomorrowland - good to see a director that knows about things like timing, pacing, and making sense of an action scene rather than just shaking the camera and leaving it at that, and the story is a real throwback to old-school 1980s kids' films.  I can see why some have said it feels like a live-action animated film, but it does have some problems with tone, like all the comedy cops that keep getting murdered and the human/robot love thing where George Clooney plays the love interest and makes me feel Hollywood is now taking the young woman/older male lead thing much too far.  Is Nix really a "bad" guy, too?  [spoiler]He just seems to have given up on people, and his Monitor/transmitter thing isn't really clarified - the film explains that he tried to help people initially by showing them the future, but it doesn't really explain if he's deliberately trying to cause doomsday by not turning the Monitor off, and Hugh Laurie doesn't seem to play things as straightforward villainy, so his comeuppance again just seems... undeserved, especially with sentiments like "genuinely good to see you again, Frank."[/spoiler]  And why would a cop think a robot head would be out of place in a sci-fi collectibles store?  How does no-one see three cops being murdered on a main street in broad daylight by a man with a laser gun?  I'm also not sure those "interactive advertisement" pins won't get a whole bunch of people killed, or why some of Tomorrowland seems run-down, or where all the people are - what is Nix "saving", exactly?  The lead actress is annoying, too, though I grant you that might be overspill from her starring in utterly terrible tv shows playing unlikeable characters, and Clooney's love interest is variable so only good sometimes, but her English accent seems a bit odd.  Clooney is Clooney.
Apart from that, fun film.

Colin YNWA

Well Beyond Thunderdome wasn't as bad as I remember, though I've only seen it all once before and was so disappointed haven't seen it in its entirity since. This time I quite enjoyed it, but its a film with many flaws and is for me by far the weakest of the trilogy (that is no more). It all kinda makes sense, in terms of what needed to be told next in the movies. If the first film was the dehumanisation of a man, the second the start of hope as a world rebuilds, all be it a very bloody and messy rebirth it offers humanity a second chance. So therefore the next stage makes sense to show the next generation and the naive hope they bring in contrast to the harsh reality of the world those from the world destroyed try to recreate, the same mistakes they can't escape from. So yeah thematically I can well see how they got there.

The trouble is even if it makes sense it kinda stops the film being the film it might be. It seems to stick to that theme too well. To the extent it feels incongruent with the films that procedied it. It doesn't quite fit. This is in many ways exemplified by the slap stick in the chase scene. It was kinda in place with the tone of this film, it worked with what I think they were going for. It didn't work in the context of the movie series. Okay so its not as if the other films had a complete absence slapslip, but its nothing like this and it removes the tension and overcast vibe the other movies had. Yeah makes sense in this movie, but doesn't work with what I want this movie to be.

The second problem is almost said out loud, there's a bit when they (the goodies) are escaping on the train, in what should have been a stunning chase scene and were Max asks someone "What's the plan" to get the response "There is no plan" and you kinda think that's the perfect summation of the movie. Its others major flaw was it seems to kinda ramble and drift a little. It has distinct parts, its in three clear arts (as I think films are meant to) but those acts don't smoothly flow together, instead seem stitched by conicidence and happenstance. Which kinda doesn't work.

Yet still for all its problems it was entertaining, it worked as a film in its own terms, just not sure its a great addition to the series of films, well aside from the fact it looks like the perfect evolution of the work, the design is exemparliy once again, but that aside its kinda Goons meets Time Bandits meets Mad Max, not the third Mad Max film.

JOE SOAP

And I'm sorry, but "we are going to use dinosaurs as soldiers" is a stupid plot idea.  If I was making films about dinosaurs and you suggested this and you weren't drunk and/or Roger Corman I would slap you.

If they were more drone-like than mutated I might see one of theses Jurassic sequels, and, if they looked like this.

Dominic O'Rourke

Superbob.

We may not get a sequel to Dredd, but we can all go out and support another British super hero film.

Just been to see this, at Peckhamplex, my local, and I understand opening weekend attracted almost 150 people!

Shame on you peckhamites - shame.

Funny film, that passed the six laugh test, Brett Goldstein is superb as Bob, a postie turned super hero following a meteor strike on Peckham Rye. Very British humour, very well shot in Peckham and the surrounding area, and worth a trip to the cinema.

Member No. 10

sheridan

Quote from: Dominic O'Rourke on 25 October, 2015, 11:46:56 PM
Just been to see this, at Peckhamplex, my local, and I understand opening weekend attracted almost 150 people!

Great cinema - it was the only place we could find in London that was showing Dredd in 2D (so we went - twice).  Shame it wasn't available in more places in 2D, as I know a lot of people who would have gone to see it if it if the default screenings hadn't been in 3D.