Main Menu

Slaine for Savage Worlds

Started by superc0ntra, 13 July, 2008, 11:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superc0ntra

Thos who play the Savage Worlds RPG can get my conversion from the Slaine d20 game at //http://hem.bredband.net/superc0ntra you'll need a copy of the d20 game and the Savage Worlds core book in order to play.

paulvonscott

Hi Super C

I'm a big fan of Slaine and Savage Worlds, and I think I should be playing it soon with any luck.  My GM has done his own conversion, but I'll point him towards yours.  I'm planning to do a Rogue Trooper one at some point (mainly for wargaming, somethign i've wanted to do for years).  If it happens (it might not) I'll let you know.

Cheers

Paul

ThryllSeekyr

As I have been collecting all the Slaine RPG material I could find, I found your stuff very interesting.

Good illustraions! :D  well, choice of photographic media.

The content, I assume would be much diffrent? Just a conversion.

I haven't heard of  'Savage worlds'

Is it good?

I assume you would think it would be since you do use it.

Did you create 'Savge Worlds' or was it abnother obscure RPG I haven't heard of ?

Robin Low

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"Did you create 'Savge Worlds' or was it abnother obscure RPG I haven't heard of ?

I wouldn't class it as obscure, at least not in roleplaying circles. It's a popular, simple and very adaptable system, with several official settings and a lot of fan-adapted settings available. There's an Explorers Edition that only costs about 7 quid. Here's a link to the Test Drive v.6 pdf:

http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

Regards

Robin

superc0ntra

I just uploaded a new version 3.0 with lots of streamlining, changes and additions.

KingdomOfAdventure

I'm a big fan of Savage Worlds so will check this out.

If anyone is a Runequest fan then Slaine has been converted for use with Runequest now rather than D20.
Tel : 01592 328121
21-23 Whytescauseway, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1XF

ThryllSeekyr

Having sampled both sets of rules. Both D20 and Runequest with regards to Slaine. I reckon the D20 rules are more detailed. I guess that they might be slightly better. In D20, there is information on the character class's specific to the world of Slaine. There is a speical table for rolling up the various random  animal features of the Shoggey's beast's monsterous form ( I thought this was cool first time around!) that has been omitted in Runequest rules.

After a quich read through, I think the new Savage Rules coversion set, recently uploaded, is combining information from both books. Though I'm referring to the fluff. The real meat and potatoes have been condenced. Not that I have a problem with that. They are very well written out and easy to referr to.

Personally, I would love to see the rules for RIFTS purchased by Mongoose Publishing. As it's well known that these game rules combined a very cool set of detailed but easy to implement rules for a space age science fiction to more the regular "Dungeon & Dragons" styled fantacy settings. This rule set would suit both Slaine, Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog --Being currently drawn up-- and the other important 2000AD characters/genres also being considered by gamers and game writers alike. Nemesis the Warlock, Rogue Trooper, Halo Jones, Tyranny Rex. The list could be very long. I'm not so sure about the potential gaming applications of "Dr & Quinch" or "Ace Trucking" There are all types of games being made right now. Based on media that isn't only involving warfare, but slap-stick comedy as well.

Character cross-overs would be very easy here using Rifts rules. Even if it's taboo in it's original format. Sure, but I would be very much interested to see Slaine fighting with or against/adventuring/drinking with Judge Dredd, Johhny Alpha, any of those other well knowns for whatever reason.

Simply out of curiousity.

KingdomOfAdventure

The Palladium/Rifts rules system is not my cup of tea (although the Rifts setting I do like a lot) but I do see the benefit of a universal system for all the 2000AD settings if there was a desire to have a 2000AD cross over event.

Traveller is the system that Mongoose are using for all Sci-Fi (2000AD and others) settings.
Runequest is the system that Mongoose will use for all Fantasy (2000AD and others) settings.
Whether they opt for another setting for other stuff or not I dunno, time will tell.
Tel : 01592 328121
21-23 Whytescauseway, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1XF

semajmaharg

Thanks for this. Very interesting and motivated me into buying Savage Worlds.  If I ever do get around to playing Slaine again (I think it is a great RPG setting), I might well use this.

The D20 system is fine as far as it goes but a little cumbersome.  While I love RuneQuest as a setting (Glorantha) and have a soft spot for the setting, it seemed to take the game even further from the action and mayhem nature of the comic (I remember trying to run a WFRP game using RuneQuest rules many years ago - we abandoned it after I inadvertantly killed and maimed most of the characters during the first encounter!).  It is notable that the D20 version had epic adventures such as Horned Lord and Moon Sow while the RuneQuest version comes with an adventure about cattle rustling.

Felix Vane

Can one of you help me!? I've posted a topic in help of exactly this and I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

ThryllSeekyr

Continueing with the Topic above.....

I think Slaine RuneQuest is far from complete and requires conversion of Dtwenty source material to fill in the gaps.

This isn't as easy as it sounds.

The Savage Worlds conversion of Slaine seems like simple but accrate converson.

Though, with both Savage Worlds & Runequest Sllaine Not everyhing was translated.

There were some cool skill abilities like Sundered Heads and creation tables for the Shoggey Beast.

I could be wrong here, but I would be very surprised to find them with these latest set of rules.

It's a shame really , but DTwenty Slaine were the best rules for Slaine so far.

By that, they set a standard not reached by the other versions.

Quote from: Felix Vane on 29 November, 2009, 03:15:27 AM
Can one of you help me!? I've posted a topic in help of exactly this and I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

What would you like to know?

superc0ntra

URL is changed to http://www.savageslaine.com and version is now 3.6, I've also added som more goodies.