Main Menu

Stronghold (Abaddon novel) Movie. Jason Kingsley directs.

Started by CraveNoir, 21 October, 2010, 02:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

From Variety, by DAVE MCNARY
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118026068.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Amber Entertainment is teaming with British comicbook house 2000 AD and its Rebellion Publishing arm to bring medieval zombie tale "Stronghold" to life as a feature film.

Amber Entertainment's Ileen Maisel will produce. Rebellion's Jason Kingsley will make his directorial debut, and Rebellion's Chris Kingsley exec produces.

Tom Fickling is adapting the novel for the screen. The original "Stronghold" was penned by Paul Finch for the publisher's Abaddon imprint.

"Stronghold" centers on Welsh rebels utilizing druidic magic to summon an undead army to aid them in their quest to overthrow English tyranny. Hero of the story is a young knight who defies his masters to rescue the daughter of his enemy while battling legions of revenge-driven dead.

"Stronghold" is being eyed as the starting point of a partnership between Amber and 2000 AD -- best known for its "Judge Dredd" stories, which served as the basis for the 1995 feature starring Sylvester Stallone and an upcoming DNA Films pic starring Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby.

Jason Kingsley, who's been directing videogames for two decades, told Daily Variety that the inclusion of zombies in a medieval setting will give the feature a fresh look and feel. He's hoping to go into production next year.

"We think that the zombies are great fun. I've known Ileen for many years, and we think this project is a great way to get into business with Amber," he said.

The Kingsley siblings purchased 2000 AD in the year 2000. Founded in 1977, it's published a weekly anthology of five stories and has employed a number of notable artists and writers such as Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Bryan Talbot, Brian Bolland and Mike McMahon.

Amber was created last year by New Line veterans Maisel, Mark Ordesky and Jane Fleming, along with documentary and TV producer Lawrence Elman. It's currently in production on "Tiger Eyes," based on the Judy Blume novel, and "The Possession," directed by Eduardo Sanchez and co-produced by "Blair Witch Project" creators Haxan Films.

Mardroid

I like the idea of a medieval zombie film. The storyline looks suitably interesting.

And from 2000 AD too! I've never heard of this particular strip. But I've only been buying the Prog for a couple of years, and since it was likely a one off tale, I guess it's not that surprising.

SmallBlueThing

It's not a strip, it's a novel- from Rebellion's Tomes of the Dead range. And all i can say is: BASTARDS! When i win the euromillions, the very first thing i was going to do was buy this and put it into production!
No, this is fantastic news. I'm actually more excited about this than i am about Dredd. The novel is stonking, and (if they stick close to it) will make one hell of a film. Please put all images of Army of Darkness out of your brains...
SBT

strontium_dog_90

That's great news - read most of the Tomes of the Dead series, and they never disappoint. Still think "Hungry Hearts" is the best of the lot, though - that'd be a really creepy one to see on the big screen.

Mardroid

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 October, 2010, 06:30:55 PM
It's not a strip, it's a novel- from Rebellion's Tomes of the Dead range.

Ah okay. I read that wrong.

QuoteNo, this is fantastic news. I'm actually more excited about this than i am about Dredd. The novel is stonking, and (if they stick close to it) will make one hell of a film. Please put all images of Army of Darkness out of your brains...

I like Army of Darkness (although I find the earlier part of the film with all the mad shenanigans preferable to the castle battle sequence at the end) but I welcome a medieval zombie film with a more serious tone.

Keef Monkey

This is great news, not only because the Tomes books are great and there's a lot of possibilities in the Abaddon line for adaptations, but also for what it could mean for 2000AD strips making the jump. Great news.

Emperor

This is the important part for me:

Quote from: CraveNoir on 21 October, 2010, 02:18:13 PM"Stronghold" is being eyed as the starting point of a partnership between Amber and 2000 AD

Rebellion have got themselves in a position where they not only have a gold mine of original IP but a lot of the in-house facilities to exploit that IP across a range of platforms (including their own film production company). As a lot won't require blockbuster budgets it makes sense for a film company to partner up with Rebellion to really get the ball rolling. A few breakout hits and they could become a serious player in British media.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Oh good. Must read the novel. This can only be good news for all fans of Rebellion and associated media type stuff.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

SmallBlueThing

Ah, according to mr faplad, he's not. I mentioned it when i started to read Stronghold, over in the 'currently reading' thread, and he denied it.
We could choose not to believe him though, and bombard him with wildly-mental pm's asking how to 'break in to the industry', which get increasingly irate and scary as he ignores/continues to deny.
That'd be fun!
SBT

Emperor

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 October, 2010, 09:51:57 AM
Ah, according to mr faplad, he's not. I mentioned it when i started to read Stronghold, over in the 'currently reading' thread, and he denied it.

Oops.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 October, 2010, 09:51:57 AMWe could choose not to believe him though, and bombard him with wildly-mental pm's asking how to 'break in to the industry', which get increasingly irate and scary as he ignores/continues to deny.
That'd be fun!

Yeah let's do that. Extra points go to anyone asking him to look through their 1,000 page manuscript claiming it will be The Next Big Thing.

Paul faplad Finch

Aint me Guv, honest.

Although I do choose to count the big back page ads on the prog recently towards my 'geting my name in the prog' tally. My solitary letters page appearence from a few years back was getting lonely.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read