Main Menu

Ennis and Robertson, The Boys go Wild!

Started by ukdane, 20 March, 2006, 03:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Darick Robertson is now exclusive to DC Comics and working with Garth Ennis on a new project for Wildstorm called "The Boys."

THE PULSE: So how long have you and Garth Ennis been working together on The Boys?

ROBERTSON: Garth approached me about doing the Boys in 2001 right after I had finished Transmetropolitan. We had enjoyed working together on Fury, and that Punisher arc and
we were developing ?Born?. He told me the pitch and that it was a book that he really wanted to do. He said ?It?s going to ?out-Preacher? Preacher.?

I was wild about the idea of doing a five year series with Garth. I was his fan before we got to be good friends. I had a great time doing that MAX Fury series.

THE PULSE: Who are ?the Boys?? How did they come to work for this "secret government organization"?

GARTH ENNIS: The Boys are a CIA team assigned to watch, investigate, occasionally blackmail, now and again kick the shit out of, and when necessary kill superheroes. The whole idea is to keep super-people in line. Their leader is Billy Butcher, their newest recruit is Wee Hughie, and the other three are Mother's Milk, The Frenchman and The Female (of the Species).

Their talents and powers are simple: they excel at beating people to a pulp. Butcher, additionally, is the sneakiest and most dangerous bastard in the world.

Each member came to the team by their own path, which we'll see more of as the series progresses.

THE PULSE: Since this is a Wildstorm series are the Boys keeping track of heroes from this universe like the Authority, Wild C.A.T.s, and others in this world?

ROBERTSON: Garth and I are creating a self contained world in which ?the Boys? exist. Like ?The Watchmen?, they?ll have their own continuity and rules to their universe.
http://www.comicon.com/pulse/images_05a/0drboys4_th.jpg">

THE PULSE: How much freedom do you have with this series? What kind of constraints were put on you both with ?The Boys??

ROBERTSON: It?s a mature readers book, so Garth and I are going to be pushing things as far as they?ll let us. Garth said he?s going ?Out-Preacher Preacher? and since I have more creative control and can ink my own work, I intend to top my work on Transmet. This will be the first time I can look forward to regularly inking my own work, on my characters and doing my own covers, and really setting the tone and mood for the book.

The only constraints I?ve been informed of is to be careful with the nudity.

THE PULSE: When is the first issue of The Boys coming out?

ROBERTSON: October of 2006!

I'll be getting that.

Link: http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004890" target="_blank">The Boys

http://www.comicon.com/pulse/images_05a/0drboys3_th.jpg">
Cheers

-Daney

Floyd-the-k

looks good. Ennis is always a Good Thing. However the idea sounds a little stale - in the link he mentions Watchmen, which goes back a bit

Funt Solo

Interesting interview, as well - especially the bit about Marvel high-ups turning into corporate LCD whores the minute they've got an exclusive contract around a popular creator's neck.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DavidXBrunt

Yep, sign me up for that one too, at least the first arc.