Main Menu

Stanislav Lem - no more

Started by paulvonscott, 28 March, 2006, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Very sad news that Polish SF writer Stanislav Lem has died.

His most famous book was Solaris, you might have seen the tedious 1971 Soviet film or the tedious 2002 American film versions.  The actual book is a real gem and a damn sight more interesting and less ponderous than those 2001-abees.

Another recommended book is Eden, where I genuinely felt like I had visited another world by the end of it.

Anyway, I'll remember him.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4851496.stm" target="_blank">On the BBC

Jonathan O

I've only read Notes Found in a Bathtub but liked it very much. Really must get into more of Lem's stuff.
Reading Ray Bradbury at the moment, talking of SF masters.

paulvonscott

I keep meaning to read Martian Chronicles.  I saw a slightly terrible edited TV version, but there was enough in it to intrigue me.

Jonathan O

It's one of the all time great short story collections. Highly recommended. In fact 90% of Bradbury is worth reading.

Floyd-the-k

that's sad news indeed, Lem was a genius. He wrote a book of short stories mainly about robots which was a gem (I remember the characters were called Trurl and Klapaucius). I also read a book called 'The Perfect Vacuum' which was part good sci fi, part Borges like cleverness, part just damned odd. The Perfect Vacuum itself was  a book of reviews of non-existent books, the last review being a review of that.
  Oh and Jonothan O is right about Bradbury

Marbles

There's an obit in The independent today (see link)

Link: http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/article354764.ece" target="_blank">Indy Lem Obituary

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Floyd-the-k

ps the book of short stories about robots was called The Cyberiad and was absolute genius. I'd recommend it to people who like science fiction and as a present to bright adolescents

paulvonscott

Thaks for the link to Lem's obituary, Marbles.

Floyd - Yeah, a friend has raved about the Cyberiad, I must get hold of it at some point.

Marbles

NB. Clooney's take on Solaris in on the TV soon :-

Solaris
Sunday 16 April
10:00pm - 11:55pm
Channel 4
VIDEO Plus+: 266210

Science fiction mystery following a psychiatrist who is sent to investigate strange events on the Solaris space station, orbiting the planet Prometheus. Following the death of the expedition's commander, a force seems to take over the minds of the astronauts as even the psychiatrist is forced to question what is reality and what is imagination.

Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Filmed in: 2002   
George Clooney,Natascha McElhone,Jeremy Davies,Viola Davis,Ulrich Tukur
Remember - dry hair is for squids