Main Menu

Frazer Irvings Judge helmets?

Started by HiEx, 23 May, 2002, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

But... how does that relate to the surpression of Pagan identity?

No, well said that man.

frazer

well said mr mills in 1989.

to set the record straight (as much as i can), the helmets aren't drawn "wrong" insomuch as i fully intended to go for the spherical design. personally i HATE the dustbin helmet and always have. it was only when i read the early mcmahon dredds that i saw a spherical design rteally struck a chord with me.

as for death's hat being a different shape, well he came from an alternate reality didn't he? well as far as i'm concerned they all wore dustbins on their heads over there. and if i ever have to draw deadworld: that's what u'll see.

Frazer

plastikman

Thank goodness the title of this post wasn't "Frazer Irvings helmet" ... sorry but someones got to drag the tone down!

plastikman

red_lichtie

Personally, I like the new style of helmet. Different but pretty good. Rest of the artwork is mind boggling.

RL

Thread Zero

Frazer said:

"to set the record straight (as much as i can), the helmets aren't drawn "wrong" insomuch as i fully intended to go for the spherical design. personally i HATE the dustbin helmet and always have. it was only when i read the early mcmahon dredds that i saw a spherical design rteally struck a chord with me."

But Frazer er...how can i put this...you already drew Dredd with the typical 'dustbin' helmet.

See Judge Dredd: Asylum. Megazine Volume 4, Issue 5.

So why change it?

I prefer that look. And the dustbin look is THE original look to be fair. Having said all that, your artwork is great anyway.

By the way, why do you refer to it as a dustbin?

Look like a normal motorbike type helmet to me!:)

scojo

malkymac

When I first read the strip it reminded me straight away of the very early Dredd strips. I wasn't sure at first but the design has started to grow on me. It looks more practical and robust than the usual ones which I think look a bit fragile to be of much use as a motorcycle helmet.

Great artwork BTW.

christophe

"I prefer that look. And the dustbin look is THE original look to be fair. "

Not true, Scojo. Mcmahon was the first Dredd artist in 2000AD publish. Mcmahon and Gibson make the helmets spheric *before* the dustbin cylinder.

Look at the top image on this link.

C

Link: http://www.2000ad.nu/mcmahon/com/2ad/index.htm" target="_blank">Gaze into the face of sphere

moly

whats it matter what shape the helmets are, its some of the best artwork (b&w) to appear in 2000ad for a long long time

Thread Zero

Christophe,

You are wrong, sorry.

None of the early Dredd artists drew Dredd's helmet like a goldfish.

FACT.

I'm sorry but they didn't. The example you show proves this! McMahon never drew Dredd's helmet spherical like Irving's.

It has always been (with the exception of B McCarthy) like a motorbike helmet.

Trust me it really has. No dustbins, no spheres, no goldfish, just like a motorbiker's helmet. Albeit slightly modified at the front.

Frazer's helmet is just wrong. I'm sorry but that is the truth. That is why some fans don't like it. His art is still very good though.

scojo

Thread Zero

DREDD HAS ALWAYS WORN A BIKER'S HELMET.

From prog 2 onwards that is what he has worn. The artists may have changed a bit here and there, some making the end point out, some making the end point it, BUT IT IS A BIKER'S HELMET!!!!!!

So please not use this silly "he wears a dustbin" nonsense.

Thank you.

scojo banging his head on a brick wall:)))

christophe

Why do you make a argument for no cause, scojo? It was you who said 'the dustbin look is the original look'. I showed the original helmet has not the cylinder shape like a dustbin but more spheric. I did not speak of goldfish.

Also, you do not have the right to say 'Frazer's helmet is just wrong'. You are not the editor of 2000AD. If you don't like it, that is your opinion but to say the vision of one artist is wrong and one is correct is ridiculous.

It is an ugly thing to believe you are always correct about everything, scojo. Just because you write 'I'm sorry but that is the truth' does not make it true. Why you don't be polite and say 'In my opinion', or better 'in my humble opinion'?

Chttp://www.2000ad.nu/mcmahon/img/jd1icon.gif">

Thread Zero

Fraze referred to it as a dustbin. He used that term originally, not me, so get your facts right.:)

I said "why do you call it a dustbin Fraze?"

Anyway Dredd wears a biker's helmet. If you are incapable of seeing that, well you're silly.

Listen Chris, in 25 years, Dredd has never worn a goldfish bowl over his head. Ever wondered why he hasn't?

Abuse to goldfish that's why.

scojo

paulvonscott

Yeah, go gettim Christophe!

Tear his eyes out!

The current Dredd's helmet in no way resembles a bikers helmet.  Frazer's is the closest I've ever seen to a biker's helmet.

But many people forget that I drew Judge Dredd throughout the eighties with a pyramid design.  In fact it's only between my shock therapy treatment that I remember it.

christophe

YOU tell ME to get my facts right? My God!

Here are some facts, because you contradict yourself freely and ignore details so you can make a argument.
- I did never say it was you who originally used the term 'dustbin'. I quoted you in post 1519.2110000000 saying 'And the dustbin look is THE original look'. Look back, it is what you said.
-  I  did never say  Dredd wears a goldfish bowl
- I  did never say  Dredd didn't wear a biker's helmet.

I corrected your false claim that 'the dustbin look is THE original look' and because of your argumentative technique and inattention I must since make two posts to clarify my sentiment.

C

Oddboy

Christophe, don't let Scojo get to you - he does this to everyone.  If you argue back his replies just get more & more outrageous.

Oddboy.
Better set your phaser to stun.