Main Menu

Letters page

Started by Moley, 23 November, 2001, 04:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moley

There was a time not too long ago when I enjoyed the letters page. It contained a good mix of positive and negative criticism of the mag. More recently I've hardly read any dissenting voices.

It could be because everyone loves everything, but having followed the message board since the summer I know this ain't true. How many more letters praising Helter Skelter is Tharg going to publish?

Fifty

I wrote a really bitchy letter about Helter Skelter but never bothered to finish it.  Think I will now actually.  here it is, I'll mail it in a sec.

Tharg,

Helter Skelter was good, but should have been so much better.  I'm gonna make myself look incredibly arrogant now and tell you what I'd have done differently:  1)  Less villains.  I can just about imagin Cal, Rico and ONE OR TWO others working together and planning to double cross each other later, but it got ridiculous.  I can't imagine Fink Angel for one working with anyone.  Maybe he could have been dragged in by Helter Skelter and had a sub-plot role?  2) None of the Helter Skelter affect brought in anyone useful.  Johnny Alpha and Wulf did enough dimension hopping that they would surely be more susceptible to Helter Skelter.  Personally I think Johnny should be left unused and dead, but I'd love to see Wulf re-appear for a little while.  3)  The snippets from other storylines should have been hinted at instead of rammed down our throats.  I particularly liked the Halo Jones lines, but it should have been a few isolated incidents to make it more tantalising.  Stuff from other comics would have been cool too.  How about Digby, Dan Dare's old sidekick?  Perhaps Charley of Charley's War?  And considering the Dredd Batman dimension crossover, how about some Batman/Batman Villains?  4)  Where was Rico Jr?  I'd have liked to have seen Rico Jr kill Rico Sr.  5) How did the bad guys all die so easily?  In their own worlds they all killed Dredd.  here he killed them with a badge.  6) I'd have made it longer.  7) Dark Judges.  Are they in Boing or another dimension right now?  Can't remember.  Missed chance for a recall.  8) Final word:  I just hope we see many interesting Helter Skelter follow ups.

Russell Goodwin

Dominic O'Rourke

I just love sending letters that say how much I love certain progs, and asking about characters that I know are shortly to be revamped/returned, and saying how I've been reading since issue one, and you know what? Tharg prints them all!!

But the thing is, I hardly ever write when I'm dissatisfied with an issue, only when they do charm the socks off me!
Member No. 10

fraston

surely this is the way to do it? writing in to praise that which you enjoy is far better than dwelling on what has dissapointed you.

there's a monty python song in there somewhere...

Fraston

McNulty

I absolutely agree. There's nothing wrong with expressing a positive opinion when 2000ad has had a good run. It encourages more of the same.