Main Menu

Evening All

Started by siclonus, 25 May, 2009, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siclonus

Hello everyone, although I'm no stranger to 2000AD on and off over the years, I've never contributed to these boards, although they've been a great reference over recent months whilst trying to build a collection of back progs.

My first 2000AD experience was when I was about 10 (in the early 90's), having exhausted the local library's selection of Tintin and Asterix I moved to the Sci-Fi section and stumbled upon a GN of Block Mania / Apocalypse War, which was awesome, the best thing my young eyes had seen since the big robot-on-robot mash-ups of the Transformers comic!

I rediscovered Dredd in 2003 during my student days, when my eye was caught by a comic cover featuring Joe facing off against an Alien, this got me hooked on 2000AD (although stories featuring "bastard sons of Tsars bonded with alien weapons crests who protrude lethal bio-blades" was a bit far out and led me to hide my progs from housemates!) I loved the fact that there were over 1300 back issues to discover on Ebay, and read through from around progs 500-900. Then having moved house I lost track of 2000AD the following year, probably something to do with how bad the progs around #900 were getting, I think it put me off the comic altogether!

When  picked up a prog again last year, I was instantly impressed. The quality as uniformly excellent, and it was so accessible (I recognised PJ Maybe from my re-reads) and have re-affirmed my commitment since. Thanks to Ebay I have a near-complete collection from prog 81 onwards, and have started a marathon quest to get through all of them (currently on prog 311!) It's great filling in the gaps between what I'm reading from the early 80's, and what I'm reading every Wednesday, seeing how the various universes in 2000AD become what they currently are.

Anyway... I thought that considering all of the above, it's time to officially call myself a Squaxx Dek Thargo and get on the messageboard. I can honestly say that my favourite part of the week is finishing my 5am-3pm shift on a wednesday, grabbing a couple of bottles of ale from Tesco, and buying and reading my prog. It's a weekly treat, and that's reason enough to be here I guess.

So, hi!

Regards,

Simon :mrgreen:

Kerrin

Wotcha Simon, welcome to the board.

You'll enjoy yourself reading through all those old progs, just don't get disheartened when you get to the 1990s dodgy patch.

And don't hesitate to get stuck into the threads.

Bouwel

Hi there and welcome :)

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

Evenin.

Keep yer ead down and yer nose clean  cos we dont want no ripples in the water ere.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Paul faplad Finch

Hello and welcome. Be sure to stick around
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Richmond Clements

Roger Godpleton

Welcome. I am now the best thing in your life.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

mygrimmbrother

good evening chieftain!

Devons Daddy

WELCOME
finest place on the WWW

good to see you onboard.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Minkyboy

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Kev Levell

Gavin_Leahy_Block

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.