Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Okay so here's a question I'm planning to take some art to the 40th bash to get it signed. My plan is not just to get it signed by the artists (on those pieces where that isn't the case) but also the writers. But is that bad form?

I'm not fussed if people do or don't think its a good idea, to me it is BUT these are pieces of work by an artist and as such could it be seen as rude to get it signed by someone else i.e. the writer of said strip. I don't think it would be but I'm not sure if I'm right?

ming

I would think that most writers would be happy to sign art - most of the time there wouldn't be a story to illustrate without them, after all.

I'll be traveling light on this trip so I can't bring any art over with me (boooo) but I'll have between one and three Project Sketchbook books to ogle with a bit of luck (yay).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 04 February, 2017, 06:36:42 PM
...but I'll have between one and three Project Sketchbook books to ogle with a bit of luck (yay).

You should have got a table and changed - I'd have paid!

hippynumber1

I get a couple of painted pieces signed by Carlos Ezquerra that he'd done for the card series; he suggested that I asked John Wagner to sign them too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 05 February, 2017, 09:35:28 AM
I get a couple of painted pieces signed by Carlos Ezquerra that he'd done for the card series; he suggested that I asked John Wagner to sign them too.

Okay that's cool. I was worrying over nowt!

Spikes

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 February, 2017, 10:14:46 AM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 05 February, 2017, 09:35:28 AM

Okay that's cool. I was worrying over nowt!

If you need some extra reassurance, I took several original pages from Day of Chaos to Thought Bubble last year for John Wagner to sign.

And for the 40th bash, I'll be taking along yet another Day of Chaos page. But this time for Michael Carroll to sign.

(He wrote one DoC episode, as a fill-in, that appeared in the prog, but was never reprinted in the subsequent trades.)

Link Prime

Some really great pieces Sean, love the Laser Eraser & Pressbutton page by the late Steve Dillon.

Nice to see a bit of action back in this thread.

Geoff

I have just put a few Dredd pages up for sale on CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=180601

There's two by Chris Weston - the Sensitive Klegg cover prelim and a finished page from that story.

Two pencil prelim covers by Greg Staples.

A full colour page by Nick Percival from the Jonni Kiss storyline - with Dredd head-butting him.

If anyone's interested send me a PM over on CAF or on here.

Spikes

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 February, 2017, 05:09:11 PM
Nice to see a bit of action back in this thread.

Yes, it is.

I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of action in this thread now that everyone has returned from the 40th...

Colin YNWA

Yep I'm hoping to get some stuff I'm very chuffed about up post 40th

JaHawkDroid

Bit of a novice at original 2000AD art. I know that most US artists are represented by art dealers, etc, but is that so with 2000AD artists, or is it generally a case of getting in touch directly with the artists. Sorry if this is a really stupid question but after seeing some of the pages available at the 40th, and not having any way of transporting them home, I'm itching to get hold of some.

Spikes

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 13 February, 2017, 09:58:00 AM
Bit of a novice at original 2000AD art. I know that most US artists are represented by art dealers, etc, but is that so with 2000AD artists, or is it generally a case of getting in touch directly with the artists. Sorry if this is a really stupid question but after seeing some of the pages available at the 40th, and not having any way of transporting them home, I'm itching to get hold of some.

Most, if not all, of the 2000ad artists have some kind of online presence - Facebook is the best way to get in touch I've found. Most accept friend requests, and a polite PM can work wonders. There is a few 2000ad art pages to be found on FB, and a good few droids are members of one or the other.

Colin YNWA

I only started relatively recently (compared to some here) and to be honest by far and away the most useful thing I've done is ask questions here. The likes of Spikes, Ming, Hippynumber1, Link Prime, Skullmo and others who I'm too pig ignorant to remember off the top of my head have been so helpful.

Now of course being an angry and bitter man I hate each and everyone of them as they have collections that make your eyes melt and I don't mind being small minded and sore, but I have a grudgingly admit they have earned it and give so generously of their time, advice and often contacts that to resent them too much seems churlish.

They is good people.

Oh and join the 2000ad Original Art Facebook page as well that's very useful.

Finally know what you want as there's a lot of stuff out there and you can wonder aimlessly if you don't focus on what you are after and that can be expensive. Some one hear told me that and they were so right!

opaque

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 February, 2017, 11:49:42 AM
Finally know what you want as there's a lot of stuff out there and you can wonder aimlessly if you don't focus on what you are after and that can be expensive. Some one hear told me that and they were so right!

I go along the line of is there something you want (character/artist/story) but with many things it's been a matter of does the page grab you, if you flicked through several photos (or the pages themselves) and something stands out then go for that one even if it's not what you might think you were looking for.
I did that with one of Boo Cooks pages on Saturday (sad father of main character from Student Bodies) and with the Colin MacNeil one I got (Robot survivor from Insurrection) which ended up being a Megazine cover. They grabbed me :)