Main Menu

Prog 2273 - The Coldest War

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 March, 2022, 09:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

If I'm honest a bit of a stutter step after the last couple of weeks? Why, well we'll gt to that and we are starting from a very, very good couple of weeks.

Dredd remains excellent, plenty happening and we aren't quite sure what, or even why at this stage.Its an excellent piece of craft.

Kingmaker this is my issue this week. I'm not sure what we got this week, how we moved forward. I mean we're clearly not meant to be trusting those looks in Ablard's eyes, but I'm not sure where we're going. Then we get confirmation that last weeks plunge was bad, but we know that getting burnt up isn't fatal anymore. Then another turn and ... something new. I'm feeling a little lost. It could just be me and I might flick back and it will all click.

Proteus Vex was good as ever as war is declared.

Fiends of the Eastern Front after a chilling opening its very much a scene setter. It will grow in time I'm sure, but this is steady.

Brink this one needs work. Its worth it and that ending.

So yeah its a dip as one kinda drops me, but will come back and another makes a steady start. Not much of a down turn, but all the same...

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Lovely cover. Really striking. On the indie, good to see Enemy Earth is on the way—here's hoping it makes good on its potential. Of the strips:

Dredd: I'm not sure why, but I'm just not feeling this yet. Dredd is presumably intentionally written as less nuanced than his more modern incarnation, but he's coming across as a bit of a meathead.

Kingmaker hits a lull, but Proteus Vex keeps on blazing. I'm intrigued to see how much legs this story has. I do wonder if we'll in ten years be looking back on a great epic.

Fiends suffers a bit from characters awkwardly spouting exposition for a chunk of a page to bring readers up to speed, but otherwise this was great.

Brink: A bit like Dredd, I find myself surprised in not being hooked at this point. Not sure why. Probably needs a re-read and I hope it'll click because I've really rated Brink until now. (And the reveal was good.)

Fiends > Proteus Vex > Dredd > Brink > Kingmaker

Richard

QuoteDredd is presumably intentionally written as less nuanced than his more modern incarnation, but he's coming across as a bit of a meathead.
This isn't necessarily what really happened, this is just what the prisoner in episode 1 says happened, and he may not be a reliable narrator.

Also, is anything Dredd did this week really that bad? There's a war on and that civilian was a liability.

IndigoPrime

True regarding the narrator. And, no, he didn't do anything that bad this week. But in this strip, he feels like Dredd written by another writer, rather than by Wagner. Like I said, perhaps Wagner is channeling 1980s Dredd here. I dunno. It just feels a bit off somehow, regardless of his circumstances within the story.

broodblik

Not a bad prog but some of the stories feel like it is a bit lingering but still a good prog.

Dredd – We almost reach the half-way stage and so far, we moved from the intriguing first episode from on action scene to another. As much as I love my action, I would like to see more flesh to the story. I still feel that the narrator is biased and is not giving us everything but more how he saw Dredd. This is still Wagner, and I am still into this just that I am getting a little impatience.

Kingmaker – So we are at this stage where we have nothing concrete going on but rather our hero at a crossroad but not sure what to do next. The last two pages introduced as too the two new threats that is looming.

Proteus Vex – As Vex and company is running for their life events around them are unfolding. As Vex was seeking for the truth and the truth will now lead to another war. Awesome stuff from team Carroll/Lynch.

Fiends – A good opening episode as I am already pulled into the iron curtain. This episode is all about the setup giving us in interesting premises.

Brink – Well the first part is a lot of talking as the conversation is going on ad on but then the surprise is sprung as the episode comes to live.

broodblik

For anyone who reads the prog digitally take notice on the iPad page 20 that is the first page of Fiends are "broken". If you download the CBZ version from the website it is correct. I have ask support to fix it

Timothy

Quote from: broodblik on 16 March, 2022, 04:10:37 AM
For anyone who reads the prog digitally take notice on the iPad page 20 that is the first page of Fiends are "broken". If you download the CBZ version from the website it is correct. I have ask support to fix it

Similar issues with the small image on the inside back cover.

Timothy

broodblik

Quote from: Timothy on 16 March, 2022, 09:37:17 AM
And all of Lawless in the Meg.

Almost made me cry could not read it

Jim_Campbell

Is this the PDF version of the Meg? I downloaded it a few minutes ago and it looks fine here...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 March, 2022, 10:02:39 AM

Is this the PDF version of the Meg? I downloaded it a few minutes ago and it looks fine here...

Both the PDF and CBZ is fine when downloading it from the website. The problem is on the iPad app

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Corinthian

The thing that's puzzling me about The Citadel is when it's supposed to happen. We follow Dredd fairly closely for most of 'The Apocalypse War' and even when there are gaps in what we see him up to, there isn't really much of an opportunity for him to have snuck off alone like this.

Is that a 'Zenith' reference in Fiends of the Eastern Front?

Tharg the Tease: [spoiler]the Next Prog bit for Proteus Vex.[/spoiler]