Main Menu

Re: current Dredd chronology

Started by 2000AD Online, 18 January, 2002, 11:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

If I remember correctly, 'The A to Z of Dredd' cited Clarence Goodman as being the second Chief Judge of Mega-City One, contradicting the Dredd RPG which cited Solomon as such.

Which version is correct and what other changes have been made / dropped since?

McNulty

Well, according to the 2000AD Website timelines, Solomon was the second Chief Judge. It seems to be tthe most up to date of the chronologies, so I'd go witth that.  

2000AD Online

I'd be inclined to agree. Perhaps, having drifted away from 2000 AD for a good few years, it's more noticable to me where Dredd's chronology has been changed. In retrospect, the Judda sequences in 'Oz' were referring to the Atomic Wars, not the Volgan war as I'd first assumed. Likewise, Pat Mills's four-part 'Hammerstein' story (progs 960 - 963) had the eponymous battle-droid fighting as part of Booth's Presidential guard, not the ABC unit in which he was originally introduced.

McNulty

Again, I'm just going by the timeline given but it can be explained. According to this timeline, the Volgon War starts in 1999 with the invasion of Western Europe and ends in 2023. This works in well with the ABC history as well. President Booth doesn't start the Atomic War until 2071, when the Mega Cities were already built, so there isn't a problem there either. As for Hammerstein, we know from ABC warriors and Robusters that he was built to fight the Volgons, then led the Meknificent Seven on Mars for a while, before being sold off as Army surplus to Howard Quarz. Robustters ended with Hammerstein and Rojaws leading a break for freedom. What happened after that is unknown. Maybe Hammerstein's programming got the better of him and when the USA went to war he turned up for the fight. I always thought that the four part Hammerstein story was used more as a movie tie in than a serious attempt to connect the two stories.

2000AD Online

It's feasible, although I was always under the impression Hammerstein was sold on to Howard Quartz soon after his escapades on Mars. But what of Fargo pulling the city back together after the [Atomic] War, as stated in 'Oz'? Fargo died in 2051, twenty years before Booth was caught in a maze of diplomatic wrangling that instigated the aforementioned conflict! It's not so much a criticism as me trying to get up to speed with where things currently stand regarding Dredd chronology.