Main Menu

what's the best ABC warriors design?

Started by judgerussell, 23 June, 2003, 07:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

See,ahem,I'm quite keen on the HE body builder image-stylised admittedly but thats it-STYLE in yer robots.It'd bee cool to have ones that looked liked that.(altough,no one should listen to me antmore,I'm just a bit wrong today)
M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Milt Spilk

Bisley, without doubt. He showed Hammerstein without his armour, and made Blackblood look cool (I didn't rate him before, but the peg-leg was a brilliant touch).
And his Joe Pineapples was unsurpassed. No-one else can draw Joe like that, though they try.

IndigoPrime

Doesn't it simply depend on which body he's using? Mek-quake has several.

Mudcrab

Gibbons did a couple of episodes on Mars (original). The ones with the Soya-cow-robot things.

Grudgingly, I'll say McMahon's is best (Mongrol/Lara stuff especially), then Kev O'Neill, who didn't do enough of it. Then Kev Walker (although the art outweighed the story somewhat by then), then Bisley. Ezquerra would be last I fear, just don't think his style suits the warriors.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

W. R. Logan

Bisleys Warriors looked good, but the point is they stopped looking like war robots and were turned in to 'cool' characters. Chunky war robots, not armour that looks like muscles, wires that look like dreadlocks, and eyes that look like wraparound shades.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Nice Tom

I suppose you could justify the big muscles look by saying that it's designed to scare the hell out of the enemy.
And if Mek-Quake has a wardrobe of bodies, why did he choose that one? Were the others in the wash or something?

Fifty

no.1 - Bisley
no.2 - Early Walker
no.3 - SMS  (the one you all forgot!)
no.4 - O'Neill
no.5 - Ezquerra
no.6 - Talbot
no.7 - Early McMahon
no.8 - Flint
no.9 - Recent McMahon
no.10 - Late Walker
no.11 - Boo Cook

Smiley

if Mek-Quake has a wardrobe of bodies, why did he choose that one

He's stuck with the legs. The bulldozer got blown up ramming a church (go Pat!) in Prog 1239. Though the art by Liam Sharpe is so poor it's hard to spot.

Nice Tom

"Pineapples is/was a Terminator wasn't he?"
He used to be in a crack squad called the X-Terminators, but was kicked out after a scandal. Apparently a senior officer's wife was involved, though I'm not sure exactly how, ahem.

Huey

What I meant by that was that Pineapples ended up looking like THE Terminator (Y'know the guy from the film) or just about any film/tv/comic anti-hero of the late eighties: big chin, wrap-around shades, cool jacket, big gun. His earlier incarnations looked a little more distinctive. First we had the bug eyes, metal scowl and prison arrows. Next we had the built-from-a-kit face from the Talbot years.
Also seems to me that not only are the warriors losing their individual look, they're also becoming more similar in personality.
Pinapples seemed cooler when he spoke in code. Now he's basically the same as Hammerstein, as is Mongrol, as is Steelhorn. Deadlock has lost some of his mystery now he time-shares the leadership, Mek-Quake is smarter and less obsessed with violence and Blackblood still bitches and moans but no longer uses his individual skills.
I would like to see a return to 7 very different robots bringing 7 different skills to the job.

As for SMS. Hadn't forgotten him. The guy was great and it's a shame that his first job had him pitted against Bisley. Equally unfair to see Dave Pugh pitted against Fabry for his first job.
It'd be great to see SMS return for some of the new adventures.

Trout

On SMS: There was a hint in TPO that he/ his art was not liked by the higher-ups.

I, for one, liked his stuff (although it did pale in comparison to Bisley's) and would like to see him back.

Anyone know the full story on his exit?

- Trout

Mikey

Don't know about his exit,but yeah I seem to remember a load of grief go8ing his way.You probably know this but his does illustrations for Interzone,and probably for more mags,not that I know fer sure.Definately unmistakable talent.
M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Nice Tom

Ah, I thought you meant as in Torquemada. Sorry.
I'm with you on the personality thing. In the beginning, there was a helluva lot more character to them. In this one, all they seemed to do was shoot a lot and get a few lines each in the spotlight (e.g. Steelhorn's comment on the gas, Mongrol's smushing session, Mek-Quake's conspiracy theory). Otherwise, most of them could be the same character.
Does anyone else think Mills is getting a bit sick of having to write seven robots? He even took Deadlock out for most of the story.

Misanthrope

We didn't forget SMS, he was just crap.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?