Main Menu

Prog 1440 - Close Encounter

Started by Bad Andy, 23 May, 2005, 04:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

Not sure if this was review or spoilers - but it has spoilers so don't read if you want to be surprised.

Hmmmmm. Mixed bag this one.

I think the cover is a particularly good image, and although it is quite mininal still manages to obscure the logo.

It's the start of Blood Trails and the onus is very much on Vienna, who looks like she's appearing as the Barbara  Windsor character in a Carry on Mutie series. I like that fact that the sovs(?) have had plenty of attempts to contact Vienna, but she's not a pushover.
So they've got to call Vin Diesel in to help with matters. Nice setting up episode and a cameo from Giant. Perhaps it will be him who buys the farm.

The VCs I guess I'll have to come back to. I've enjoyed this storyline, but this epsiode is confusing on first reading. I think it's just me.

Slaine is the business once again. Best thing in the prog, even if the artwork is murky. Sethor goes the way of Annakin and the end is truly surprising. I hope this  isn't resolved quickly.

Bec & Kawl - I usually enjoy and don't know why people dislike it so much, but this is a mess, perhaps too juvenile (God I'm getting old). Pleased this storyline has finished.

American Gothic - oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. Some of these panels are surpisingly poor, old school techniques or no, but what happened to the story. It is the old A-Team equivalent with eeveryone standing around at the end and laughing - it doesn't really workin TV so God knows whay they thought it would work in a comic strip.
There looks as though there are possibilities for a second series, and I hope it gets one because the premise is interesting, but it needs to improve. A lot.

No letters this week or droid life. Slaine and Dredd make this prog good. We're back in the mid-eighties!

Tiplodocus

S

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

Lacklustre prog not even saved by the start of what looks like an interesting DREDD tale.  I reckon if anyone goes during this storyline, it's going to be Vienna because I can't see them constantly writing her as a damsel in undress.  But I'm wrong about most things, as my opinions below indicate.

VCs took five pages to say "He shot them and escaped. No, wait...". That can't be right.

I can't see the Slaine renaissance you are all going on about. It seems to be the same old routine for me. And these boots that allow Slaine to breathe underwater also allow him to counter water resistance. Or is he so hard that he can swing an axe underwater with sufficient strength to cut through not one but two legs?

American Gothic turned out to be a wasted opportunity to do something fun in an unusual setting (for 2000ad anyway).  We could have used the story to explore the myth of "the west" vs reality vs the monster myths of Europe.  Or how about some of the native american monster myths?

What we seemed to get was a two episode intro followed by an extended chase/fight in a western movie setting.  This is a worrying trend among these shorter new stories (see Asylum).

And I really want a bit more characterisation in my tales these days. If there's nobody you empathise with, what's the point?

In my opinion, Bek and Kawl was forced and not particularly funny even for a Bek and Kawl.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Max Kon

I've read up to the end of slain, I swear this is leading to his demise, it must me. I'm more sure every week. If i'm right, thank you Pat.

pauljholden

Blood trails artwork: fan-bloody-tastic.

-pj

Wake

Not sure if this was review or spoilers

I reckon latest prog stuff should go in spoilers. Use the reviews category for graphic novels, etc.

Wake

ukdane

***SPOILERS***

Cover: Hmmm!- ok. This week, MH discovers green- and it's many shades.

Dredd: I've said all along I think Vienna will be kidnapped (probably by Kazan Jnr) and will die- but the fact that Giant is there too--- could he be "red-shirting" this story? No, I hoope it's Miss Pasternak. Like the artwork.

VCs: Well, this story moves the action into space- by doing not much- but I liked it. How many episodes is this book?

Slaine: Ok, Water physics aside, I'm enjoying Slaine a lot at the moment. I doubt he'll die at the end, it would be cool if he does- not because I don't like the character, but it would be cool to do it now (on the rise????) Also, how many of the other characters attached to a Fomorian have survived detachment. How will Slaine get out of this one?

Bec & Kawl: As humour strips go, I enjoy this it's not rocket science, but then it doesn't have to be, it just have to make me crack a smile- which it does.

Amercian Gothic: What a waste of an underused theme- I agree pretty much with what Tips said. I've seen some of the sketches that Mike has done many of you at various conventions, and my opinion is his sketch artwork does more for me, than this artwork. I don't know why, I can't explain it, it just seems more attractive to my eye. I've still no idea who the characters, main or otherwise where. I want to care, but i don't know who to care about.

Overall: Friday night, watching a movie, got popcorn, but someone forgot to put the coca-cola in the fridge! 7.5

Cheers

-Daney

McNulty

And now for my comments...

Dredd: A good opening for this story. We know that someone is going to be killed and as of now it looks like we are going to lose Vienna. Man, I hate spoilers.

V.C.s: That's one big ship!

Slaine: So the great Goddess, the Mother of all Sea Demons, went out with a bang. Just another monster with a superiority complex! Just another dead monster. I don't know how Slaine is going to get Odacon off him now though...

Bec & Kawl: A bit of a cop-out I'm afraid. The great Cone invasion defeated by drunken students and vomit?

And that's about it. Can it really be three years since the first Shakara series? It doesn't seem like it.

MIKE COLLINS

>Amercian Gothic: What a waste of an underused theme- I agree pretty much with what Tips said. I've seen some of the sketches that Mike has done many of you at various conventions, and my opinion is his sketch artwork does more for me, than this artwork<

Sorry you didn't go for the art- oddly enough, I was trying for that energy I get in con sketches in this strip- A far more rough and ready style than people are used to seeing from me. Ian's got some great ideas for a follow up: this is very much an introduction story, and we're looking to involve Western myths and how the two will meet/clash.

For myself I'd be happy doing that 'Little House on The Prairie with Trolls' someone suggested in another thread.

thinky

i'm not normally one to comment on these threads, but all i can say is...

Kev Walker / Dredd

can't bloody wait

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Artificial Idiot

Well, while American Gothic's end was a bit of a let down, I still don't have any real gripes with the art. My only problem was the rather weak ending to the story, but I'm pretty sure that can be rhemdied by more instalments.

Slaine was top class too. Really unexpected ending, quite shocking too. It's amazing to see just how much this has improved from the other books of invasions...

paulvonscott

Thought the cover worked very well, a nice moody job all round.

Enjoyed Slaine as usual for this series.  

Dredd was okay, but if his niece is just to be Victim Vienna every time she appears, I can't say I'm that bothered as it would just show that Dredd was right to pack her off to Brit Cit in the first place.

Read the last episode of American Gothic, there was a funny line about 'you were responsible for that exploding cactus ploy!' which made me chuckle.

Funt Solo

In order, worst to best:

5: Bec & Kawl
Pointless Beano-fare that I half read.  Some of the deconstruction in previous series (like the hysterical gang with Slough Feg and Dream in it) was great, but this is really stretching things.  Compare it to the first series of Time Flies or Hewligan's Haircut.  See?  Please, Tharg, kill this off before it goes the way of late Ace Trucking Co.

4: The VCs
Uber-aliens that can't possibly be defeated but then are in the next episode are boring.  Anthony Williams is the new Ron Smith.  You hired him, we put up with him, but his art is (at best) average.  Starting this new run off with Henry Flint (was it?) and then getting Williams to take over just increases the disappointment.  I've tried to get over it but failed.

3: American Gothic
I've enjoyed this strip because of it's unique (for me) storyline and art.  My one small complaint would be that I'd like to have seen more from the other strange beings on the wagon train.  Of course, that might have run close to being a version of Helltrekkers, so maybe it's best it didn't mosey on down that trail.

2: Judge Dredd
This gets second place for the storyline.  I found the last two pages (the fight sequence featuring Pasha) boring as all hell.  Blam blam so what?  Currie seems to be working from a similarly bland palette as Williams.  There are such things as vibrant colours:  please use them, or clone Bolland, Dillon or Kitson.  Nostalgia.

1: Slaine
Best thing in the prog by a mile, despite the slightly murky & confusing artwork.  But look - Slaine's being gholamised!  Eeek.  A cliffhanger, by jove.  I reckon if Mills is going to off Slaine, it would be the perfect time (given that Niamh and Ukko have already exited stage left).

The cover was ... green.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DavidXBrunt

I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.
I like Ron Smith.

Funt Solo

Yeah, but what about his artwork? :p
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dudley

In order, worst to best:

The Cover.  God this is awful.  I didn't twig it was the VC's at first.  

American Gothic.  Worst script Edginton's turned out since Interceptor.  What's worse is that this is a scenario that has just soooo much promise.  But it's been handled really badly, with a rubbish ending.  The choice of Mike Collins as artist must have seemed inspired, but to be honest this seems to be one art experiment that's failed.

The V.C.s.  Not that I'm not enjoying this run, but this is a poor episode that as someone's already remarked taken five pages to do not a lot.  Also I really dislike the spaceship in the final panel - just feels like another computer effect added to the artwork, not something organic to the universe Williams has created.

Judge Dredd.  WHAT a disappointing first episode.  Vienna, who's been built into quite an interesting character, reduced to T&A?  And presumably about to be the victim in a major series AGAIN?  I really hope that all my expectations are going to be subverted cos this is frankly a bit of a pish opener.  The entry of the hitman (or whatever he is) in the last two pages reminded me of nothing so much as a Mark millar script.  Kept afloat by the artwork only.

Bec n Kawl.  Wobbly jelly cones, stoned cones, Chapman Bec again, and a tremendous grasp of internal logic.  Just excellent.

Slaine.  What's wrong with it first. Didn't have the same emotional impact of the last couple of weeks - but then, you simply can't every week.  Also, it's less than wonderful to see Mills' vagina dentata phobia repeated from Finn Book 2.  But what a grasp of character, a great fight scene and some really good demon mating behaviour.  Best thing in the prog.