Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Spider-Man: Homecoming.
I enjoyed it. Doesn't really add anything new to the genre but it's lots of fun.
7.5/10

Mardroid

I watched Spider-man: Homecoming too.

Yes, I enjoyed that a lot. [spoiler]I have mixed feelings concerning the twist concerning Peter's love interest. On on hand it's a rather contrived coincidence. On the other hand it did provide some interesting drama and flavoured the attitudes of both Spidey and The Vulture. So overall, I guess it worked.[/spoiler]

Small spoiler (I won't bother tagging it, since it's something established right at the start of the film)
I kinda like the fact that the huge battle at the end of The Avengers had ramifications for later films and series. I.e. lots of alien tech hanging around...

I like the fact there's an overall Marvel film-TV universe, period. I hope they continue to keep the X-Men-verse separate however. I think X-Men and the other mutant spin-offs work better in their own universe.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 July, 2017, 04:42:08 PM
I like the fact there's an overall Marvel film-TV universe, period. I hope they continue to keep the X-Men-verse separate however. I think X-Men and the other mutant spin-offs work better in their own universe.

Agreed, but I would love a crossover movie!

Dandontdare

I enjoyed Spider-man - both Holland and Keaton were great - I did hate [spoiler]the talking suit with a gazillion gadgets[/spoiler] though

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 July, 2017, 04:42:08 PMSmall spoiler (I won't bother tagging it, since it's something established right at the start of the film)
I kinda like the fact that the huge battle at the end of The Avengers had ramifications for later films and series. I.e. lots of alien tech hanging around...

A theme that featured all the way back in the Marvel One-Shot Item 47 from 2012.

Woolly

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 July, 2017, 08:10:34 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 28 July, 2017, 04:42:08 PMSmall spoiler (I won't bother tagging it, since it's something established right at the start of the film)

A theme that featured all the way back in the Marvel One-Shot Item 47 from 2012.

Ah, I kinda miss the Marvel one-shots. They had a real thrill-powered 2000AD feel to them IMO.
'Hail To The King' is a mini masterpiece!

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 July, 2017, 07:52:49 PM
I enjoyed Spider-man - both Holland and Keaton were great - I did hate [spoiler]the talking suit with a gazillion gadgets[/spoiler] though

I liked that [spoiler]the suit AI[/spoiler]was named after Plankton's computer wife. Actually, I liked pretty much everything about it, even if I couldn't quite square the 'moving house' business with the Avengers 2/Ant-man/Civil War timeline, and didnt really understand why Peter had a vintage SW figure collection.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 July, 2017, 09:44:23 PM
didnt really understand why Peter had a vintage SW figure collection.

Well, he did seem like a bit of a Star Wars nerd. I know lots of Star Wars nerds and every single one of them has some vintage Star Wars figures.

Agree about Karen the talking suit. Seemed miles over the top and provided little to the movie bar some comic relief.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 29 July, 2017, 07:41:26 AM

Well, he did seem like a bit of a Star Wars nerd. I know lots of Star Wars nerds and every single one of them has some vintage Star Wars figures.

Not saying it's unprecedented, but it seems like vaguely lazy set-dressing/signification for a 15 year old boy in 2017 to have the same 'toys' as a 10 year old Elliott in 1982. 

The suit annoyed me at first ('is this Iron Man or Spiderman?'), but as well as the over-under gadget-gags and biochip-style exposition, it was used to make some great character points, and gave the homemade rig sequences great impact. It was also something new for the 6th Spidey movie in 15 years.

Eric Plumrose

DUNKIRK.

Still processing but currently disappointed it was 'only' very good.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 July, 2017, 09:17:00 AM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 29 July, 2017, 07:41:26 AM

Not saying it's unprecedented, but it seems like vaguely lazy set-dressing/signification for a 15 year old boy in 2017 to have the same 'toys' as a 10 year old Elliott in 1982. 

Uncle Ben: Peter, with great power there must also come...great responsibility...and remember, take care of my Star Wars collection. Don't flog it on ebay.

Spikes

Dunkirk - It's merely OK, and the non-linear narrative, is messy, and kills the tension. Still, it has Tom Hardy in it, flying a Spitfire, killing Nazis, so not a total washout.

Nolan is not for me, it would seem.

Rara Avis

The Big Sick -  This romantic comedy is heavy on the comedy. The romance is genuine and sweet without ever being cloying. It was so much funnier than I thought it would be and really moving in parts.

Tiplodocus

I'm always on the lookout for a rom-com that isn't more like a rom-shite, a shite-com or more often a shite-shite. So I will check this out.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CrazyFoxMachine

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I had the strangest experience with Eternal Sunshine this evening - watching it again after maybe nine years and trying to remember it as it unfolded. Given the subject matter it added another layer to what is already a fairly emotionally complex concept. I loved rediscovering how fractured it all is, how flawed the characters are and how entirely seriously it takes its offbeat concept. I'd remembered how gloriously restrained Carrey was, I'd vividly recalled him reliving his childhood, I remembered the blank heads and Ruffalo and Dunst jumping on the bed but I didn't remember the end. How could I not remember the end?!

Nine years ago I wasn't in a relationship - and I certainly wasn't in a long and complex adult one. Now I am the ending was as striking as a hammer-blow. We can't delete our memories at will - we can't erase our flaws and the things that make us hurt, we can't erase the stupid things we said and the horrible things we've done - and being in a relationship is about living with all of that, in spite of all of that, because of all that. It's messy. It's horrible. It's incredible. Eternal Sunshine is an amazing film for managing to bring that all up and somehow making it sad and funny and coherent and blimey, actually quite brief. A perfect film about imperfection.