Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

QuoteBah, I was doing well for that challenge until the wife started asking me questions about aromatherapy equipment (which I obviously don't know) and ended up just walking straight into the beast due to having to take my headphones off....

Yes, that used to happen to me regularly, and I was expected to stop the game and give a considered response, even if I was in the middle of a crucial cutscene.

If I were to try asking for comments on two different pages of Dredd art during Strictly I would likely have had my head bitten off!!!

Zenith 666

Let them play isolation in the dark alone.Ten minutes and they'll never bother you again.they may well be quivering wrecks but your game time will be uninterrupted.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Well now. when the the new consoles were announced I told my sister there's no way I would buy any next-gen console. Then when the remastered Halo was announced she asserted that I'd have no choice but to get an xbone my response was if I want to play Halo again, I don't need to drop £400 on a new console and game, when a tenner on ebay and ould get me a replacement for my worn out original xbox gamepad, which is all I needed to play Halo again. So guess what she got me for Christmas? She's a sweetheart.

Halo stands up. Seems a bit pixelly and polygony, but the central gameplay holds up. Yet I haven't only been playing Halo. I have a sizable library for that console.

KOTOR seems a bit clunky now, but nostalgia is carrying me through.

But the main event is Spiderman 2. The story missions aren't very good, the main problem being they mostly take place indoors. When you get into the open sandbox of manhatten though, jesus this game is addictive. Web slinging is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences ever in this iteration of spiderman games I've played other Spiderman games since (Web of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions) but none have matched the fluid free flowing webslinging mechanics of this game. It's more like one of those Tony Hawk games where you make your own fun zipping about pulling off death defying stunts. I have found swinging all around manhatten for half an hour to be a great tonic to a hard shift.

The story missions still suck though

You may quote me on that.

Goaty

Got Hitman Contacts on Steam for 99p (on sale) and still awesome game I play as long time ago!

Zenith 666

King I'm playing psychonauts again and I'm absolutely loving it.its showing its age visually but it plays as well as it did ten years ago.while I loved kotor I found some of it a hard slog.After psychonauts it's finally time to play persona 4.

I, Cosh

Pretty sure that generation of Spidermen used the same game engine as Tony Hawk.
We never really die.

Really? I vaguely remember readin they used the old GTA engine. That makes sense though

I, Cosh

Quote from: King Pops on 05 February, 2015, 11:09:32 PM
Really? I vaguely remember readin they used the old GTA engine. That makes sense though
Hmm. Now you say that, maybe it's the PS1 Spiderman I'm thinking of.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Tis indeed.

Playing the demo of Dead State. It's all so slow.

ThryllSeekyr

I fired up Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor (I prescribe this one as great therapy for me!) and Alien Isolation. The latter was only for a few moments, it was still creepy despite my claim that my version the game could be broken and may need to be re-started again. (Ditching all my previous saves!) While I sampled the female ranger in the former, thinking she actually moves faster than Talion and then him again, but for a while longer. It was great to play this one again if only for twenty minutes.

I also had a quick look at one of the latest Batman games, not sure which one it was, but he had to find this dude with dark skull mask and they're base of operation inside a prison and it was snowing outside (I think!). Some of the controls were all mapped to only a few some of the keyboard buttons. W for walking forward, Spacebar for running, and Mouse-Movement for Direction, and discovered that the Mouse-Wheel would scroll through al his secondary weapons and devices. Despite the game it self claiming with visual prompts that these and other options were all solely mapped to the Mouse. I was totally lost when the computer relinguished control of the Dark-Knight to me completely so I could get him to make short work of some inmates and found that I could only get him to elbow-smack them and block. I couldn't get him to punch and when I checked the key bind layout. Everything appears to be contexturelly mapped (With just the left mouse button to control everything, but only in certain situation!) to the mouse and I didn't understand it at all. I was going try and fix it then and there, but I just decided to quit it.

It's going to be a fantastic game once I get worked out.  I've only played the first one and finished within a month or two after my father given it to me for my birthday back in 2010 (I think!) and have brought the second one in the series (Game of the year Edition with all the bells n whistles!) , but never started that one. I think purchased nearly every Batman on Steam (Again!) except for the very first and the latest. I might check out the ones I haven't got and see what price they're going when I'm financial again.

Professor Bear

I assume Pops is talking about the later tie-in game to the second Spidey flick, but the PS1 era Spider-Man games used the Tony Hawk engine, and if you unlocked everything in Tony Hawk 2, you got Spidey as a playable skater.

Quote from: Bear (PhD) on 05 February, 2015, 11:40:00 PM
I assume Pops is talking about the later tie-in game to the second Spidey flick,

I am indeed. The one with Bruce Campbell Narration and voice acting from the movie stars. The one where Tobey Maguire sounds so fuckin' bored.

Back in the day I argued that this is could be one of the greatest sandbox games ever, because it's more fun to dick about with the webslinging mechanics than it is to actually play it properly. About a decade later, I still think that's is the case.

CheechFU

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 05 February, 2015, 11:31:44 PM
I also had a quick look at one of the latest Batman games, not sure which one it was, but he had to find this dude with dark skull mask and they're base of operation inside a prison and it was snowing outside (I think!). Some of the controls were all mapped to only a few some of the keyboard buttons. W for walking forward, Spacebar for running, and Mouse-Movement for Direction, and discovered that the Mouse-Wheel would scroll through al his secondary weapons and devices. Despite the game it self claiming with visual prompts that these and other options were all solely mapped to the Mouse. I was totally lost when the computer relinguished control of the Dark-Knight to me completely so I could get him to make short work of some inmates and found that I could only get him to elbow-smack them and block. I couldn't get him to punch and when I checked the key bind layout. Everything appears to be contexturelly mapped (With just the left mouse button to control everything, but only in certain situation!) to the mouse and I didn't understand it at all. I was going try and fix it then and there, but I just decided to quit it.

radiator

Quotewhen the the new consoles were announced I told my sister there's no way I would buy any next-gen console. Then when the remastered Halo was announced she asserted that I'd have no choice but to get an xbone my response was if I want to play Halo again, I don't need to drop £400 on a new console and game, when a tenner on ebay and ould get me a replacement for my worn out original xbox gamepad, which is all I needed to play Halo again.

I was actually considering getting an Xbox One for Christmas, but when I really thought it through - that in reality I wouldn't have any time to actually play on it, and that the two games I wanted to get with it - Halo MC Collection and GTA V - I had already played to completion on previous consoles - I had a word with myself and decided not to bother.

QuoteHalo stands up. Seems a bit pixelly and polygony, but the central gameplay holds up.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly why, but for me the singleplayer of the original Halo remains my favourite of the whole series, cut and paste levels and all.

I think it's because it just feels so huge, and all being set on the Ringworld helps with the atmosphere. They have also never, despite all their attempts, created a campaign level that comes anywhere close to the sheer majesty of 'The Silent Cartographer' or 'Assault on Control Room'. I don't know why, but those levels just feel right.

It also helps that it was made before the developers started taking their 'lore' so seriously - the first game has a knowingly goofy b-movie Aliens-knockoff feel lacking from the (imo quite pretentious) sequels and spinoffs.

JamesC

I'm currently playing the DS Version of Chrono Trigger.
I have a bit of a love/hate thing with RPGs and I much prefer the ones that rattle along at a fair pace to ones that require exploration (to a tedious extent) and loads of grinding. So far I'm enjoying it (just arrived in the future) and it's regarded as one of the greats so I'm hoping it continues to be fun.
It's a little clunky in some respects but what can you expect from a remake of a 20 year old SNES game?