Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Hint for the thread: Ignore list
Lock up your spoons!

Zenith 666

Highly recommend surround sound for alien isolation.If your a man otherwise turn the sound off and play outside with lots of people around.

radiator

QuoteJust this minute finished Metal Gear Solid for the first time ever, so I'm listening to the end credit music and watching FMV of trees and bears for some reason. It's a bizarre game, really clunky by today's standards (and downright terrible and annoying in places) but the manic ambition of the whole thing is quite impressive. The aspects I always thought I'd hate - the endless pretentious dialogue and over the top melodrama - were actually really endearing, like watching a particularly mad anime. Will definitely continue on and play the others.

I loved the art direction, style and concept of the original game, and it had some really neat gameplay ideas too, but man, if ever a game (and director) needed to pull its head out of its backside. Never bothered with any others in the series after the first.

A classic case of a game developer not having a clue how to write or structure a good story (or even maintain a tone) and letting the 'narrative' bury an otherwise decent game.

Horses for courses and all that - I'm sure some people enjoy the story on its own terms, but I just think it's the biggest load of self-serious, adolescent gibberish.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 January, 2015, 04:48:12 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 January, 2015, 12:33:43 PM
Hint hint for X-Com: EU (and EW)

Never spread out, always move as a unit.

Until the very last fight. When the big bad [spoiler]annoyingly throws out a grenade-like vortex that kills every one of you if you bunch together[/spoiler]

Ahh yes. But I say again; snipers with squad sight + second shot and a scout with cloak to get the drop on them. Turns it into the easiest fight in the game, as long as you don't advance the rest of the squad too close...

CheechFU

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 January, 2015, 10:16:10 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 January, 2015, 04:48:12 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 January, 2015, 12:33:43 PM
Hint hint for X-Com: EU (and EW)

Never spread out, always move as a unit.

Until the very last fight. When the big bad [spoiler]annoyingly throws out a grenade-like vortex that kills every one of you if you bunch together[/spoiler]

Ahh yes. But I say again; snipers with squad sight + second shot and a scout with cloak to get the drop on them. Turns it into the easiest fight in the game, as long as you don't advance the rest of the squad too close...
plus archangel armour

CheechFU

played dying light on PC.
voice acting is terrible, story so far is retarded, all the characters you meet are annoying and incompetent (especially yourself) and foreign.
[spoiler]In the first 30 seconds your undercover operative gets caught by bandits, bitten by zombies and loses his gun and then runs errands for a 13 year old mexican[/spoiler]
The free running is awesome though, much better than assassin's creed. I spent half an hour ignoring the stupid storyline just running around kicking zombies off rooftops.
Mouse/keyboard is a bit janky so have to use xbox controller and for some retarded reason you can't remap the controls, RB is jump which is the opposite of every game in history. Don't see any controller config files either. And for some reason not all of the graphics/audio options are available in the ingame menus so you have to dick around with the config files.

even the zombies try a bit of parkour, I watched one slowly climb over a railing and fall 3 stories to it's death  :lol:

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: CheechFU on 28 January, 2015, 11:28:09 AM
played dying light on PC.
voice acting is terrible, story so far is retarded, all the characters you meet are annoying and incompetent (especially yourself) and foreign.
[spoiler]In the first 30 seconds your undercover operative gets caught by bandits, bitten by zombies and loses his gun and then runs errands for a 13 year old mexican[/spoiler]
The free running is awesome though, much better than assassin's creed. I spent half an hour ignoring the stupid storyline just running around kicking zombies off rooftops.
Mouse/keyboard is a bit janky so have to use xbox controller and for some retarded reason you can't remap the controls, RB is jump which is the opposite of every game in history. Don't see any controller config files either. And for some reason not all of the graphics/audio options are available in the ingame menus so you have to dick around with the config files.

even the zombies try a bit of parkour, I watched one slowly climb over a railing and fall 3 stories to it's death  :lol:

Still worth buying?

I was looking forward to this one as s successor to Dead Island with plenty of more options.

Link Prime

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 27 January, 2015, 05:12:37 PM
Highly recommend surround sound for alien isolation.

I hope I'm man enough!

I've re-visited Aliens: Colonial Marines on PS3 for the past few evenings in the hope I can put it to bed before Isolation arrives in the post.

Jeebus, it's a slog. The initial thrill of running around wielding Hicks' shotgun with Lance Henriksen whispering delicious gravelly exposition into your ear wore off toot sweet.
It took me over an hour to take down the 'Raven' Alien last night with the power-loader suit.
Horrible to play at times and overly difficult. I don't know if I've the will to complete the remaining 40%.

Theblazeuk

I'm not clear on how 'foreign' is a bad quality for voice acting when it's set in Turkey.

(Not being able to change button config = ARGH).

Oh and Link, give it up! Bad games are not worth your time if you do not enjoy them.

JamesC

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 January, 2015, 12:03:01 PM
I'm not clear on how 'foreign' is a bad quality for voice acting when it's set in Turkey.

:lol:

I was thinking the same thing!

Link Prime

Oh and Link, give it up! Bad games are not worth your time if you do not enjoy them.

I've struggled through worse muck than this- I must never give in!  ;)

CheechFU

(Not being able to change button config = ARGH).

They all sound like Esteban Winsmore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERGog8oegg

ThryllSeekyr

I would get back into.....

Alien Isolation,

Middle-Earth - Shadow of Mordor

Civ - Beyond Earth,

Yet, even just one of those game would be too big to fit on any of my hard drives at the moment.

Really looking forward to SOM, I think I got stuck in a glitch somewhere in Alien Isolation.

May have to start that one all over again!

Definitely game that's better enjoyed walking around in then actual playing.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 27 January, 2015, 05:30:22 PM
QuoteJust this minute finished Metal Gear Solid for the first time ever, so I'm listening to the end credit music and watching FMV of trees and bears for some reason. It's a bizarre game, really clunky by today's standards (and downright terrible and annoying in places) but the manic ambition of the whole thing is quite impressive. The aspects I always thought I'd hate - the endless pretentious dialogue and over the top melodrama - were actually really endearing, like watching a particularly mad anime. Will definitely continue on and play the others.

I loved the art direction, style and concept of the original game, and it had some really neat gameplay ideas too, but man, if ever a game (and director) needed to pull its head out of its backside. Never bothered with any others in the series after the first.

A classic case of a game developer not having a clue how to write or structure a good story (or even maintain a tone) and letting the 'narrative' bury an otherwise decent game.

Horses for courses and all that - I'm sure some people enjoy the story on its own terms, but I just think it's the biggest load of self-serious, adolescent gibberish.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, that stuff is terrible. Truly awful. He clearly has no idea what he's doing or how to say what he wants to say, it's incoherent nonsense and the cutscenes are so overlong and the dialogue so stilted that it's quite painful at times.

For some reason though I found myself laughing at each new ridiculous line or weird digression, in the same way it's fun to have a laugh at a bad movie from time to time. There was something fun about a director over-reaching to that degree, ambition way beyond what he could actually achieve. Wound up quite enjoying it. One thing that did impress me was how cinematic the cutscene direction was at times, because back then games weren't really trying to be movies quite so much (in comparison to nowadays when seemingly every game wants to be a film). So I can see how it was a bit ahead of its time there.

The parts I found more problematic are where the gameplay suffers in the name of a cinematic set-piece - just because in a film it would be really cool for Snake to jump on a jeep mounted machine gun and mow down his pursuers doesn't mean it'll be fun if you haven't polished those mechanics properly (that's just one example but a lot of the game had that 'sounds epic on paper/super clunky in reality' approach to action).

Mainly I want to continue on to see if that side of things improves and gets slicker, I didn't love the game but I can see myself loving something like it with more polish and refinement.

Professor Bear

In Japanese, the dialogue delivery in MGS is in keeping with storytelling traditions and norms associated with Japan's native media, it's just the English language adaptation is outright terrible.

I found myself enjoying the MGS games despite their storytelling/game mechanic shortcomings, and I think after a few plays here and there, I sat down and played through the entirety of 2 and 3 in one long sitting.  I decided I wouldn't bother with 4, though, as I was told that the head of development was so up his own arsehole he wouldn't allow the X button to be remapped or trophies to be added.  The 90 minute final cutscene also doesn't sound very appealing.