Main Menu

Cu Chulainn-Celtic Warrior

Started by johnnystress, 21 September, 2011, 12:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

http://sliney.blogspot.com/2011/09/celtic-warrior-on-rte.html

Fans of Sláine might be interested in this

Very slick and American in style. Hope it sells loads.

Professor Bear

I love me some He-Man, and from that one page alone I can see someone has read Morgan Llywelyn's take on Cu Chulainn - but this is also a good thing.  Might check it out.

Spaceghost

Summon the Millsinator!!!

Slightly off topic here but 2000 AD has really spoiled American comics for me. I can't read those decompressed stories without feeling slightly cheated.

Looking at that entire page up there, the first thing I thought was 'if that was in 2000 AD, that would have been a single panel.'
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Patrick

Not sure how to respond to this, seeing as I'm doing a Cú Chulainn comic myself, and have been for the past three years. I don't want to get proprietory about it - the material's well old enough to be public domain, and it's big and complex enough to allow for all sorts of different interpretations - and I want to encourage the Irish comics scene. But stylistically, I don't like it. I suppose that reaction's a good thing, as it means Will and I won't be stepping on each other's toes at all. Read us both, and decide which one you prefer!

(Should also mention MK Reed's About a Bull, and Mirlikovir and Cathbad's Cú Chulainn: The Epic of the Hound of Ulster, two more very different interpretations of the same material.)

JOE SOAP

This is why I love Sláine. 'Celtic Warrior' looks too Fabio for me. Horses for courses.

JayzusB.Christ

What a handsome hero he wasn't.

QuoteAnd certainly the youth Cúchulainn mac Sualdaim was handsome as he came to show his form to the armies. You would think he had three distinct heads of hair – brown at the base, blood-red in the middle, and a crown of golden yellow. This hair was settled strikingly into three coils on the cleft at the back of his head. Each long loose-flowing strand hung down in shining splendour over his shoulders, deep-gold and beautiful and fine as a thread of gold. A hundred neat red-gold curls shone darkly on his neck, and his head was covered with a hundred crimson threads matted with gems. He had four dimples in each cheek – yellow, green, crimson and blue – and seven bright pupils, eye-jewels, in each kingly eye. Each foot had seven toes and each hand seven fingers, the nails with the grip of a hawk's claw or a gryphon's clench.

That would take a bit of drawing.

Also, wonder if they'll add the bit in the Táin where defeats a warrior woman by picking her up by the tits and carrying her off in the same fashion.  (Quite easy to imagine some mead-drunk Celts round the bone-fire pissing themselves laughing at that bit.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

blackmocco

Quote from: johnnystress on 22 September, 2011, 11:38:36 AM
Here's another version--I really like this

http://www.leabhar.com/tain.htm

This stuff's magic. Done by the same people who brought you The Book Of Kells. Great work.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JayzusB.Christ

I'm guessing the chick in the original one is Queen Medb, carrying just as impressive a rack as Bisley's version of her.

EDIT:  Jesus, 2 posts in a row about tits.  I really need to get out more
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

johnnystress

Another Irish comic, this time telling the story of legendary High King Brian Boru

The art is obviously inspired by Mike McMahon's Sky Chariots

http://irishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Brian_Boru