Main Menu

Halo Jones - How did Alan Moore do that?

Started by Proteus4, 12 October, 2013, 05:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proteus4

I'd never read Halo Jones (I know!!) in the prog - it was a bout a girl, for goodness' sake.  However, i just got the trade and am completely confused how Alan Moore made book 1 so completely gripping and entertaining and compelling - all they did was go shopping.  Once.

Really looking forward to reading books 2 and 3 now.  Glad i finally caught up with this.

Dave.
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Bubba Zebill

I read it when it was first published in 2000AD. Brilliant story and it gets better, enjoy.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

TordelBack

Well there are murders and muggings and spaceships and aliens and brain-surgery and punny futuroweapons, but I take the point.  It's a masterclass in well-defined characters, immersive setting and engaging storytelling.

Proteus4

My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

pictsy

I got my trade copy way back when I was 18 and it was an instafave.  Best female comic book character ever and a contender for best comic book character full stop.  Love the story, love the artwork and love all the ideas.

The biggest heartbreak is we never got to see more of her adventures.

Alan Moore could easily be my favourite comic book writer and some of his best work was with 2000AD.

Mardroid

I would have liked more as well....

... yet I didn't think the series ended in a bad place.

pictsy

Quote from: Mardroid on 13 October, 2013, 09:51:22 PM
I would have liked more as well....

... yet I didn't think the series ended in a bad place.

Yeah, we can be thankful of that much :)

credo

On first reading Book 3 in an old 2000ad monthly, I was never aware that there were meant to be more. I had always taken it as a suitable ending, since it was really the first time that Halo had been proactive and determined the course of her own life. A nice, literary, ending.

What baffles me is that, outside of 2000ad fandom, it is often given as an example of poor-Moore, especially book 1. Crazy!

TordelBack

Quote from: credo on 17 October, 2013, 11:58:11 AMI had always taken it as a suitable ending, since it was really the first time that Halo had been proactive and determined the course of her own life. A nice, literary, ending.

It helps that almost all the foreshadowing and threads are tied up or at least addressed by the end - ratwar, Lux Roth Chop, Luiz Cannibal, the Steersman's Guild, Tarantula, the Hoop itself.  There are tantalising hints of other things in the 'history' sections, but since much of that is shown to be fiction or misinterpretation it doesn't really matter.  The answer's in the question: where did she go?

Dodsy

On of the top 5 (possibly even higher) strip from 2000AD of all time. Found it in my local library when I was just getting into comics and it's stuck with me ever since.
Twitter - @dodsy84

pictsy

Quote from: credo on 17 October, 2013, 11:58:11 AM
..it is often given as an example of poor-Moore, especially book 1. Crazy!

Blasphemy!!!
*foams-at-mouth*

Skullmo

Was Moore influenced by Love and Rockets?
It's a joke. I was joking.

wedgeski

Halo is without a doubt my favourite 2000AD series, and a contender for my favourite comic strip of all time. I spend an unhealthy portion of my day imagining what a HBO-like TV series set on the Hoop would be like (it would be awesome, of course).

Dragonfly

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 October, 2013, 06:08:18 PM
Was Moore influenced by Love and Rockets?

As Moore was quoted as saying (and I can no longer recall the exact wording) 'The crackle of comics at their best runs through the pages' about Love And Rockets then that is a distinct possibility!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: wedgeski on 18 October, 2013, 01:24:44 PM
Halo is without a doubt my favourite 2000AD series, and a contender for my favourite comic strip of all time. I spend an unhealthy portion of my day imagining what a HBO-like TV series set on the Hoop would be like (it would be awesome, of course).

I'm pretty sure there was a stage play, though sadly I never saw it.

I read Halo in the progs way back when, and I have to admit to being non-plussed by the first two series.  However, Titan collected them together, and when I read them as a whole in one sitting it just clicked. 

I always wanted by own personal Toby.  The closest I've been able to get to that is the last gen Aibo, but hey, it's an autonomous robot dog that sings, dances, and chats to me, so close enough.  I doubt it would survive a furnace though.