Main Menu

probably bad idea - what's your favourite prog?

Started by Proteus4, 25 October, 2013, 04:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proteus4

This may be a silly question.  But what's your favourite prog EVER?  Is there one that just pressed all your buttons, for whatever reason - be it that all the art was amazing, or a specific story blew you away, or all the stories in that one prog were awesome - whatever your reason, what's the one prog that totally floats your boat, the one you could not do without, the one that makes you feel all warm and nostalgic.

Away you go...

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dragonfly

A favourite for me is prog 86, the first prog of the combined 2000ad and Starlord. For my money this prog is where the 2000ad golden age really began, when the best of the two comics combined.

TordelBack

Quote from: blackmocco on 25 October, 2013, 08:34:13 AM
http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/my-favourite-prog-335/

Blackmocco is entirely correct.  Thread over, I'm afraid: it's 335.  Anyone who expresses an alternative preference is objectively Wrong.

SuperSurfer

I was going to correct you and say no, it's 178, but having looked at blackmocco's link, indeed it is 335.

Spikes

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 25 October, 2013, 02:36:03 PM
I was going to correct you and say no, it's 178, but having looked at blackmocco's link, indeed it is 335.

Id have thought trying to reach even a very broad consensus as to what was the perfect prog would be nigh on impossible, but the case for 335 is strong indeed.

And that Ron Smith Dredd free poster just about seals the deal.

Dark Jimbo

1212, because it was my first prog - blew my mind and started something very special, and will always evoke lovely fuzzy nostalgic feelings.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proteus4

I had no idea what my answer was going to be when i asked this question.  But i've been looking through barney and then picking out the likely contenders from my collection.

335? Hmm. Interesting.  But clearly wrong.  Slaine at that time was boring, except for the art.  rogue trooper is a story everyone wants to like but its never quite worked.  Although indeed what's going on in nemesis is fine, and again the art is excellent, there's nothing significant going on in that episode.  I'll give you strontium Dog as an excellent strip in that one.

For me there are a couple of options that fall into second place - 555, the first sight of the new logo, the persecution of Kano in Bad Kompany II and the murder of his wee fairy broke my heart, in nemesis we have the murder of thoth - have you ever seen a more visceral or upsetting death scene in 2000ad? - we have the fantastic will simpson (i have a Dredd sketch by him) drawing Dredd and the great crazy killer robot cook in Oz, and then we have ABC Warriors drawn by, in his first appearance in 2000ad, Simon Bisley.  What an awesome prog!! only reason it doesnt get first place is that there is actually no Dredd as OZ focusses on chopper.

As far as i'm concerned 555 is way better than 335.

There's also 626 - the start of the horned god, Dredd in the Bath (one of my favourite Dredd single episode stories ever), Cinnebar (the best of Rogue) and Phase III of Zenith.  That's also an excellent prog.

But for me, it's 662.  Look it up.  It's awesome.

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Fungus

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 October, 2013, 10:50:57 PM
1212, because it was my first prog - blew my mind and started something very special, and will always evoke lovely fuzzy nostalgic feelings.

An absolutely impossible question to answer objectively. Because it's your first prog - or you're lying...

Prog 181 for me. End of the Judge Child (though I didn't know what that meant at the time), Strontium Dog was insanely good, and a throwaway Future Shock (The Tidy-Up Droid) by Gary Rice & Dave Gibbons.

Prog 335, I get it, 2000ad in its heyday. Slaine when it appeared was tremendous.

Mind you, gave up for 20 years due to Mark Millar and lack of interest in the boring painted stories that
seemed to pass for Thrill-Power back in the 90's.

low down dirty drokker

i would say the next prog.. however historically during the apocalyse war dredd shot himself, that for me was an insanely  period of time to wait to find out how the story resolved.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: low down dirty drokker on 26 October, 2013, 01:42:49 AM
i would say the next prog.. however historically during the apocalyse war dredd shot himself, that for me was an insanely  period of time to wait to find out how the story resolved.

263 I think. That's a very good call and a very good reason. I remember it was a tortuous week and the arrival of the that Prog such sweet relief

Darren Stephens

Prog 500. That cover. And the strps within were corking! :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Proteus4

actually, i think 500 is a damn good choice.

But i also think that it's a little depressing (or we're all so old) that our choices for best prog so far have all been at least 25 years old.  Surely there's been some cracking progs in the last ten years? (I havent read any of them yet, but I'm getting there).

Dave

Buttonman

I'm going with Prog 424.

OK it doesn't have a free gift (or a Sellotape scar either) but that Cam Kennedy cover rocks - and it's a wraparound.

The Dredd is the seminal 'Midnight Surfer' and that has to trump 335's (admitedly geat Graveyard Shift). You also get Anderson battling 'The Four Dark Judges' while they were still exciting and dangerous.

In addition there is the required Furture Shock and this one is by Massimo. Great outings from Stront, Rogue and Slaine are also present as well as Tharg's best ever leters page showing with all letters being awarded '£0'.

The debate is now closed!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proteus4 on 26 October, 2013, 08:38:55 AM
Surely there's been some cracking progs in the last ten years?

There have, but I'm not in my early teens and I don't have time to read and re-read the prog a dozen times any more. That's not a criticism of the comic or the fantastic job Matt's done on Tharg's behalf, it's just that I'm a middle-aged man with a wife and a job now...

Oh, and although 335 has a legitimate claim to the title for its place in 2000AD history, judged on contents alone, it's clearly Prog 353.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.