Main Menu

DS9 - season 4 on scyfy

Started by Proteus4, 23 June, 2014, 10:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proteus4

I never watched this before. I saw most of the first three years on tv way back when it was on and quite liked and I think I either got bored or they started jiggling it around in the listings/scheduling. Anyway, it's about 15 years old now and I've watched the first five eps as they're running in order on scyfy at midnight each weeknight.

Thoughts...

Oh my god Siskos acting is shocking!! In fact most of the acting is shocking. Dax is terrible too, and bashir, and obrien, and odo! How did they get away with it? It's so hammy. And yet, it's quite good fun. The story lines I've enjoyed, and it has more pathos than I thought. Episode 3, where jake and Sisko are in an inverted worm hole accident and jake lives out his life without his father was really quite affecting. And episode 5 where kyra and dukat go looking for survivors of a lost ship also has great moments.

Worf is a great fit in the cast as his acting was always shit too!

Everything is shot in terrible 90's tv orange, and the sets and make up in high def are quite shoddy. And yet, so far it totally gets the thumbs up from me.

I know some of the things that happen later on in the show as I've seen the odd episode here and there over the years, but I'm looking forward to it all now.

I'll let you know what I think of the next five eps - coz I know you're all dying to hear my review.

As you were, commander.

Cheers
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Professor Bear

While I agree that a lot of 90s Trek's stiffness hasn't aged well in these post-BSG times, Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi can actually act when he puts his mind to it even if The Passenger is some of the worst acting I've ever seen in my life - and I've seen Babylon 5.  The Bashir-centric The Quickening remains one of my fave Trek episodes, too.

Season 4, though it has classics like The Visitor, is pretty patchy, but does good work with the previously super-boring Worf.  Season 5 is where it kicks off proper.

Link Prime

Quote from: Kennari Bjarndýr on 23 June, 2014, 01:55:03 PM
Season 5 is where it kicks off proper.

Some epic stuff in seasons 5-7.