Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

FP have Lobster Random, Greysuit & Tales Of Telguuth reduced to a fiver plus postage if anyone didn't pick up those issues. Plenty of other stuff on sale right now as well like John Higgins' Razorjack in HC

Bad Andy

Literally just received Tales of the Telguuth as part of my sub!

And with it Part 2 of Defoe.

Defoe is bonkers isn't it? Is there any actual rules to this universe? Seems to be weird shit happens, then weird shit happens, then weird shit happens. Why square bullets for zombies? Think I should hold on and enjoy the ride.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Bad Andy on 26 January, 2022, 04:45:52 PM
Defoe is bonkers isn't it? Is there any actual rules to this universe? Seems to be weird shit happens, then weird shit happens, then weird shit happens. Why square bullets for zombies?

Truth is often stranger than fiction, and if you think something in Defoe is particularly weird, then it's probably true! Pat really did his research, here.

The Puckle Gun, an early automatic weapon invented in the 17th century, was designed to fire round bullets at Christians, square bullets at heathens (specifically Turks). Square bullets were believed to hurt more, and do more tissue damage, thereby convincing the Turks (the hard way) of the benefits of Christian civilisation. The 'cutlery guns' seen in Book II were also a real 17th C invention.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 January, 2022, 06:36:14 PM
The Puckle Gun, an early automatic weapon invented in the 17th century, was designed to fire round bullets at Christians, square bullets at heathens (specifically Turks). Square bullets were believed to hurt more, and do more tissue damage, thereby convincing the Turks (the hard way) of the benefits of Christian civilisation. The 'cutlery guns' seen in Book II were also a real 17th C invention.

On a related note, I remember some years back reading that the Crossbow was banned by the Vatican as a 'barbaric' weapon, except of course for use against Heathens, most notably the Turks.  I don't know if that was true, but it sounds like a similiar concept.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Bad Andy

Swerty

3 more books listed
116 Brass Sun 1
117 Mean Arena 1
118 Strontium Dogs 2

sintec

Mean Arena 1 is Volume number: 188 apparently. Is there something they're not telling us?

IndigoPrime

Good grief. If that's the case, on the plus side it makes Armoured Gideon more likely. On the flip side, I'm bloody glad I dropped my sub.

moly

Hopefully a typo unless they are doing everything published to date

The Monarch

gotta be a typo....right? err right?

IndigoPrime

*looks wearily at 2012 Marvel partwork*

I see Hachette has the next three volumes listed, and I'm now really glad I got out. Brass Sun is 116—a great strip, but unfinished and in a format here that won't best the existing Rebellion hardcover I own. A first volume of Mean Arena, which means that will span more than one book. And then angry Gronk is on the cover of Strontium Dogs Vol 2 (#118), reminding me about a very specific series nadir under Ennis. Oh well. Looking forward to seeing what issue 119 brings...

Tomwe

Aw yeah I'm contrast to you then, that volume has the Feral series by Pugh which was one of my favourites at the time.

sintec

Just realised that it looks like the Dog-verse is set to have the most books in the run overall. Slaine was the clear winner in the original 80 with 13 to Alpha's 10. Since then we've had 1 more Strontium Dog book and what looks to be the first of at least 3 Dogs books which will take us to 14. I guess one could potentially count the Durham Red book from the original run too for 15, though that might be more contentious.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 23 January, 2022, 03:02:50 PM
I've not been picking these up regularly, as with the Marvel collection, I grabbed one if I see it in WHSmith and it particularly appeals.

So I bought the latest, Sinister Dexter Vol 4, and have to sing its praises. Why we haven't had the whole lot collected is a source of mystery and frustration. I understand they haven't historically sold particularly strongly... but surely, Abnett's name and the artists' along with a recognised brand is enough to shift units. I mean, if Hope (which I love, and have bought both so far, but which surely mustn't have half the visibility of SiniDex?) can have nice paperbacks, why not Downlode's finest?

Anyway. Vol 4 is superb. But, after reading it I did notice that my hands smelled strongly of arse. Anyone else had similar problems lately?

SBT

Just finished mine this morning. Didn't notice any smell issues. It is top quality thrill power though. Superb selection of diverse art styles and Dabnett is on top form with some hilarious dialogue and top quality punnage. I really hope they stretch this to another 2 books, the first one is 137 so there's potentially space for 4! Not sure we'll be getting that many, although I wouldn't be upset if we did.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tomwe on 28 January, 2022, 08:38:35 PMAw yeah I'm contrast to you then, that volume has the Feral series by Pugh which was one of my favourites at the time.
I quite liked the first Feral series. I figured that would be in the previous book, and I'd have been happy with that. It's angry Gronk that was the shark moment for me, not least when he [spoiler]found Johnny in the Lyran cave and killed him again[/spoiler], which made me properly annoyed. I quite liked some of what Hogan subsequently tried to do, but it ultimately came to little when it was guillotined.

sintec

I asked if the Mean Arena vol number was a mistake over on FB. Unsurprisingly it was.

Quote2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection
Hey Dave,
This is an error on our website. this should be volume 118.
Thanks!