Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Savage vs. Kingmaker Rd 3 Heat 44

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 June, 2022, 06:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The ties in Week 6 are a bit of a mixed bag.  A couple of very interesting ones that are hard to call mixed in with some very lopsided potential batterings and BOTH versions of Bill Savage making an appearance - but which will survive?

Tie of the week here... maybe, as we get Bill's first appearance, in his third appearance... if you get what I mean. Savage has form coursing one of the shocks of the tournament so far winning a mighty match-up against Delvin Waugh in Round 2. Kingmaker, good as it is and having taken out a John Smith thrill, all be it Love like Blood must be looking at the result nervously. But who knows, interesting tie this one

Savage - more info

Vs

Kingmaker - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 17th June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

IndigoPrime

I'm 100% certain Savage will win, and it's the modern Mills strip that works the best. It's less preachy and has a solid kind of intrigue running through it. That it's just stopped is a pity, although the series does also have a habit of spinning its wheels.

Kingmaker isn't my favourite recent thrill and some of the language clashes with whatever expectations are in my head for this kind of thing. It also exists in a broadly similar space to the superior Feral and Foe. But I've been enjoying it a lot and the previous series neatly moved the plot along a fair amount.

This for me mostly comes down to what would I most like to see next in the Prog. And that's... Kingmaker.

Barrington Boots

A while back I'd have voted Kingmaker - the concept of 'what if Sauron was blown up by an orbital laser' caught my interest from the start and up to a point it was one of my top thrills in the Prog - but it's recent series seemed rushed and awkward. Incredible art though.

Savage does have it's issues but I think it's the best thing we had from modern Pat Mills and Patrick Goddard's art especially elevated it to another level. It is a bit preachy, and it went off the rails a bit near the end when it tried to push too much continuity but it had a long run of being brilliant before that and I think it's still my favourite here. Savage please.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Huey2

AlexF

Been re-reading Savage in the Hachette collections lately and it's pretty great stuff. I'm not so keen on the bits that lean hard into the Lahndahn Gangster tropes, but the bits that explore how much of a weirdo psychopath Bill Savage is are endlessly fascinating.

Kingmaker remains beautiful and boring.

Savage

Dark Jimbo

Give me a brief synopsis of these two thrills and ask me which I'd like to read, and hands down I'd go for 'orcs and wizards fighting aliens' over 'near-future resistance fighter' every time.

But in practice, Kingmaker now leaves me totally cold, whereas Savage was never less than readable and often really surprising in just how good it was.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Savage, which remains one of my favourite Thrills to this day. I've never managed to read two consecutive installments of Kingmaker.

SBT