Main Menu

Best Prog & Meg Dredd Stories 2023 Edition

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 31 January, 2024, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Right folks, it's that time of year again, the results of both recent polls to determine the Best Dredd Story (Prog), Best Dredd Story (Meg) and Best Overall Dredd Story 2023.

First of all, we'll start with Best Dredd Story - Prog:

First - Poison (25 Points)
Second - In The Event of My Untimely Demise (11 Points)
Third - The Night Shifter (9 Points)
HM's - Shrine (7 Points), A Fallen Man (6 Points), Succession / Flusher / Judge Dredd Vs Robo-Hunter (5 Points), Taking Doors / A Matter of Life & Dredd (2 Points), The Disciples of Death (1 Point)

Next up, we have the Best Dredd Story - Meg:

First - Risk Assessment (19 Points)
Second - One-Eyed Jacks (13 Points)
Third - Fitting The Description (8 Points)
HM's - Darke's Mob / Mega-City 2099: The Multitronic Man (3 Points), Mega-City 2099: The Thin Blue Line (2 Points)

Finally, we have the Best Overall Dredd Story 2023, along with Honorable Mentions.

1st Place with 25 Points
Poison (Prog  2351-2355, 2357-2359)
Writer: Rob Williams
Art: PJ Holden
Colours: Pete Doherty
Letters: Simon Bowland

2nd Place with 19 Points
Risk Assessment (Meg 461)
Script: Mike Carroll
Art: Colin MacNeil
Colours: Chris Blythe
Letters: Jim Campbell

3rd Place with 13 Points
One-Eyed Jacks (Meg 452-457)
Script: Ken Niemand
Art: Ian Richardson
Colours: Quinton Winter
Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Honorable Mentions: In The Event of My Untimely Demise (11 Points), The Night Shifter (9 Points), Fitting The Description (8 Points), Shrine (7 Points), A Fallen Man (6 Points), Succession / Flusher / Judge Dredd Vs Robo-Hunter (5 Points), Darke's Mob / Mega-City 2099: The Multitronic Man (3 Points), Taking Doors / A Matter of Life & Dredd / Mega-City 2099: The Thin Blue Line (2 Points), The Disciples of Death (1 Point)
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

broodblik

No real surprises for me, the winners were all very solid good Dredd stories. Risk Assessment will for me be one of the top 3 all once-off Dredds. The combined one is interesting but a little unfair towards the meg since lesser subscribers.

But anyway thanks for running this Batman
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Two worthy winners. I don't think you can really mix the Prog / Meg votes for a best overall due to various factors, but appreciate the effort running this.

I didn't vote on the Meg poll as I only bought half the issues last year, but Risk Assessment was incredible.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 31 January, 2024, 02:32:08 PMTwo worthy winners. I don't think you can really mix the Prog / Meg votes for a best overall due to various factors, but appreciate the effort running this.

I didn't vote on the Meg poll as I only bought half the issues last year, but Risk Assessment was incredible.

With all due respect, I disagree!! Considering that two out of the top three stories that won, were published in the Meg, I'd say that there are a considerable number of us on here that do subscribe to both, rather than just the Prog.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Funt Solo

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 01 February, 2024, 01:35:10 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 31 January, 2024, 02:32:08 PMTwo worthy winners. I don't think you can really mix the Prog / Meg votes for a best overall due to various factors, but appreciate the effort running this.

With all due respect, I disagree!! Considering that two out of the top three stories that won, were published in the Meg, I'd say that there are a considerable number of us on here that do subscribe to both, rather than just the Prog.

It's not apples to apples, BSC. The Meg had 8 voters split over 10 stories, but the prog had 13 voters split over 20 thrills. Basically, the prog vote is more diluted.

For an accurate overall winner you'd need to ask only people who read both to vote on all 30 stories. It's not about respectful disagreement, it's about arithmetic.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

GordonR

Didn't we go through this with him
Before the voting even started, when he agreed not to do the non-sensical merger thing........and now has gone ahead and did it anyway?

Funt Solo

*Passes the bottle to Gordon*

(Yeah, but ... folk don't know how stuff works until you show them. Sometimes you have to show them more than once. There was this one guy - Billy the Fish, worked at Butlins - he never could pull a proper pint - foam everywhere. Nice guy, mind.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: GordonR on 01 February, 2024, 04:15:48 PMDidn't we go through this with him
Before the voting even started, when he agreed not to do the non-sensical merger thing........and now has gone ahead and did it anyway?

Do you want to do this or not...?

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 01 February, 2024, 04:57:05 PM*Passes the bottle to Gordon*

(Yeah, but ... folk don't know how stuff works until you show them. Sometimes you have to show them more than once. There was this one guy - Billy the Fish, worked at Butlins - he never could pull a proper pint - foam everywhere. Nice guy, mind.)

And people like you do...?
Texts from Last Night

Funt Solo

Aw, mate - I was just trying to help. Of course everyone's happy to have someone go to all the effort of doing the voting project - and thanks for that.

Combining the two votes doesn't make any mathematical sense, is all. I hope you can see why (from my earlier explanation). It's not the end of the world, or anything, and nobody has set out to have a go at you. (I was better at pouring pints than Billy the Fish - but it's all swings and roundabouts. I'm a bit too mouthy for my own good, for example.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 01 February, 2024, 09:27:38 PMAw, mate - I was just trying to help. Of course everyone's happy to have someone go to all the effort of doing the voting project - and thanks for that.

Combining the two votes doesn't make any mathematical sense, is all. I hope you can see why (from my earlier explanation). It's not the end of the world, or anything, and nobody has set out to have a go at you. (I was better at pouring pints than Billy the Fish - but it's all swings and roundabouts. I'm a bit too mouthy for my own good, for example.)
No, no, I should apologise to you for snapping like that. I spent the whole of the last year writing down all the relevant information regarding each and every Dredd story in both the Prog and the Meg and all that I feel that I get are certain individuals who make me feel that I'm doing a worthless job and that they can do the job better.

Getting back on topic, I'm sorry Funt for snapping at you!! No hard feelings...?
Texts from Last Night