Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

adding those 3 specials strips pushes it closer to the actual number of pages in the book so i think you may be onto something

IndigoPrime

FWIW, National Title File has 2000 AD back this week (since #135 is out on the 9th) and still lists the series as having 180 issues.

The Monarch

what i don't understand is if they are planning to extend it why not tell people?

IndigoPrime

Seems to be how the company operates. Maybe it doesn't want people freaking out and cancelling their subscriptions, but reasons if they get volume 141 they'll just go "oh fuck it – I'll carry on".

XRayLexx

I kind of hope they don't extend it. I want it to end. If there are any other "essential" stories out there I will buy them separately. Plus I no longer have any shelf space!

IndigoPrime

I've been cherry picking since the second extension, so I'm happy for it to continue, in the hope other bits and bobs I'd like in HC rock up. But I can see how frustrating it'd be for folks aiming to complete the set. Still, it's not yet along the lines of that terrifying Marvel run.

Link Prime

Snooty cherry picker here too, as I was for the Dredd collection.

My only regret is how shite they look on the shelf.

IndigoPrime

I really wish there was some kind of solution, but I suspect anything you'd try would stick out like a sore thumb. You could make your own sleeves, but they'd likely slip and fall. Anything printed wouldn't match the book's finish. Stickers wouldn't work unless cut VERY precisely. Clearly, it's intentional by Hachette, but it's also a UX nightmare. Eaglemoss's spines were a better compromise in that regard.

Marbles

I've never bought any of these books simply because of the spines issue - too awful to look at on the shelf.. If there was a way of making so e nice sleeves that didn't suck then I'd buy plenty.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

sintec

This months books just arrived. Two chunky tomes this month and both look like top quality thrills (Leviathan and Sin/Dex vol 6). Gonna crack open a beer and give Leviathan a read - can it live up to they hype?

IndigoPrime

I re-read Leviathan a couple of nights back. It's still as good as I remembered it to be. The only bad thing about it is the strip's brevity. It could have gone one for far longer.

Richard

It could have, but sometimes a story can drag out a bit, so I'm glad it had the length and pacing it had.

JohnW

Coincidentally I read it myself only last week, and I agree that it was fine as it was. A self-contained story with a satisfying conclusion, and a couple of follow-up shorts in case we wanted a little more.
An early and perfect example of Edginton and D'Israeli doing what they do best.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

sintec

Quote from: sintec on 04 November, 2022, 07:16:32 PM
...can it live up to they hype?

Yep it certainly did. Does feel like the investigation could have been dragged out a little to introduce some more of the strange characters on the ship. We get that a little with the 3 follow up tales. That said it's a brilliant little tale as is and I'd rather a short tale with than an end than a longer one that gets stuck in development limbo and never resolves.

Jade Falcon

As a nitpicking side, claiming that the Leviathan was a mile long did not scale with the illustrations, she looked far larger.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov