Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Quote from: aceface11 on 04 March, 2017, 10:21:50 AM

Also want Canon Fodder...  😅

How about a collection of Vector 13
Finn
Mazeworld
Bad Company is a must

Hell yeah! But I think we're straying into wishful thinking territory. Most of the collection will probably be swallowed up by Dante and Slaine which, while exceedingly popular, are not exactly my favorite's.

While I'm here I'll repeat my desire for the 'Summer Offensive (or at least some of it) to appear in the collection.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Trent

I think this is the problem with such a collection. It seems inevitable that Dante, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog and ABC Warriors/Robusters/Nemesis will absorb a large proportion of the 80 volumes.
Halo Jones was always going to get an early debut and Shakara is a neat choice for volume 3.
Just hope there is enough room for some of the stories other boarders have mentioned but clearly this is a collection that could happily run way beyond 80 volumes without any drop in quality. The only issue there is the likelihood that complete runs may be split between the core set and any extension. Getting ahead of myself anyway.

Have subscribed even though I have most 2000AD reprints I could want, just to see the quality and gifts for what is only a trial run after all.

Agree re spine art in that it is both inadequate and lopsided.

Not sure re inclusion of Dredd but it might be an opportunity to cover newer stories such as Dark Justice and use Dredd as the back up in volumes to fill out the page count. Might give the opportunity to include some of the glaring omissions from his own collection. Not sure I like the idea of rifling through dozens of volumes to track down the odd story mind. Far more likely to restrict Dredd and use Future Shocks etc as filler.

moly

Think they should try and not have more than 3 or4 issues with the same character, this is a great opportunity to have stuff in hardback that would never come out, hope they do meltdown man

Richard

It would be wrong to have no Dredd at all in a collection of 2000AD stories. Not everyone who collects this series will also have collected the Dredd series. So he should be represented in a volume or two (not necessarily a whole one), just not with stories that have appeared already in the Mega-Collection.

Of course major series like Slaine and Rogue Trooper will be featured heavily, but I hope there is also rom for some of the more obscure ones which are still of good quality, like Firekind or The Dead for example.

walrus

Yeah, I would like to see Firekind and The Dead in this collection. There are a lot of stories of this kind which could give the collection plenty of variety and provide a far better overview of the history of the comic.

Leigh S

I would assume the "major" series are going to get a sampler approach, so they dont overlap with the Rebellion reprints and may even encourage crossover sales of the Rebellion line, or indeed the prog if they include stories still on-going such as Kingdom etc.  I suspect we will see something similar to the Mega-Collection, where stories we might not otherwise have expected turn up and there is a biase towards colour/ newer stories

IndigoPrime

If they do follow a position similar to the Marvel comics in that regard, I do hope the 2000 AD Collection is better at dealing with synopses. That's been one of the few weaknesses of the Dredd books – in the Anderson volumes, you leap forwards a big way, without no indication of what's happened in-between. (Shimura had a similar problem, and there the books only made sense when you had both and flipped back and forth between them.)

The potted history would be great for lapsed readers, but I'm not sure I'd go for a subscription if that was how it turned out. Double-dipping for a complete hardback run of Nikolai Dante is a no-brainer. Double-dipping for a third of the story (say) doesn't really appeal. Hrng. I'm still very tempted by this whole thing, mind.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Leigh S on 04 March, 2017, 05:31:30 PM
I would assume the "major" series are going to get a sampler approach, so they dont overlap with the Rebellion reprints and may even encourage crossover sales of the Rebellion line

I hope so, but my feeling about the JD mega collection is that it has largely reprinted a host of trades I already have and I feel the new 2000AD collection will do the same.  The material is already scanned, prepped, grouped etc.  I know there a tweaks and twists, but every time there's a volume like "America", "Heavy Metal Dredd", "PJ Maybe" etc I have to tell myself this series is for people who haven't already been collecting the trades.

I'd love to hear that the 2000AD collection will bring out other material but I think it's going to be the same  - here's Halo Jones, here's Robohunter, here's DR & Quinch, here's Kingdom etc.  I'd be more excited if each volume had a mix of different stories, like a hard cover prog (or like an Annual, in fact!) but there's no way to make that work if they want to include complete stories, which I'm sure they do.

The free gifts are a little tempting, though I'm more tempted by the survey's suggestion of offering figurines with the books.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

matty_ae

I just hope they finally reprint Bolland's "Dark Judges'
That stuff never gets an outing.

8-)

robert_ellis

Reprinting the Bolland Moon material with Darkside & other moon stories was a bit inspired. Hopefully this series can pack out volumes with suitable time-twisters & future shocks to make these collection fresh. I'd love to see the Steve Yeowell/Gaiman future shock with zenith...

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie, for one, would be chuffed with a Compleat Smithverse - ie all of Indigo Prime, Tyranny Rex plus Fervent & Lobe, given the scattershot appearances of the stories  across the progs, Sci Fi Specials, Winter Specials & the Yearbooks
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Rately

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 06 March, 2017, 12:22:21 AM
Stevie, for one, would be chuffed with a Compleat Smithverse - ie all of Indigo Prime, Tyranny Rex plus Fervent & Lobe, given the scattershot appearances of the stories  across the progs, Sci Fi Specials, Winter Specials & the Yearbooks

I'll second that.

Would love to have all of the above in lovely hardbacks.

Really hoping that the volumes start shipping soon as i'll finally get to read The Horned God, and get to finally see what all the fuss is about this Bisley fella!  ;)

Trent

Tis indeed bizarre. I have the hardback full size edition of The Horned God but am STILL looking forward to seeing ths version.
I think I am just an obsessive collector and love the idea of things steadily building up into a complete whole.
Makes me a sucker for partworks unfortunately.

Rately

Quote from: Trent on 06 March, 2017, 11:56:53 AM
Tis indeed bizarre. I have the hardback full size edition of The Horned God but am STILL looking forward to seeing ths version.
I think I am just an obsessive collector and love the idea of things steadily building up into a complete whole.
Makes me a sucker for partworks unfortunately.

Obsessive indeed. I can't abide having missing issues, and even as a digital reader now, I still can't resist picking up old 2000AD progs in local fleamarkets.

I missed out on the JDMC partworks, which is now costing me an arm and a leg to put right, so I'm all over the 2000AD collection.

Richard

I have a complete set of Case Files and Restricted Files, so collecting the Mega-Collection didn't appeal to me. But I did take the opportunity to replace my old volume of The Complete PJ Maybe with the more up to date volume from the Mega-Collection which contains the more recent stories.

I won't collect the new Hachette collection, but I'll still keep an eye on what comes out in case there's anything I want as a one-off purchase.