Main Menu

Meg 417 - Smash and Crab

Started by NapalmKev, 15 February, 2020, 11:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Before we talk strips I'll mention the Obituary to the late, great, Ellie de Ville. Unsung star of many a strip who is missed by many!

Lovely cover by Karl Richardson.

Dredd - Plunder, Part 3. Final part of this and as much as I enjoyed the tale I was hoping to see more from the sunken (Again?) city. Stunning artwork!

Devlin Waugh - A Very Large Splash, Part 3. Devlin is the star of the Meg this month with an episode that is hilarious and horrific in equal measure. An outraged talking Cock, Face eating and playing with matches - Sounds like fun!

Blunt III - Part 3. Blunt continues to brighten up the Meg with its tasty artwork and incredible Alien-Creature designs. Still not sure how this will end but it's an entertaining read none the less.

Zombie Army - Last Rites, Part 2. Lots of bullets and exploding heads followed by a bit of chat in a shed. As I've said before I have never played the games this is based on but that may actually be for the better as I've no pre-conceived notions of what is or could be going on. All waffle aside, I like this strip.

Lawless - Boom Town, Part 3. A day in the life of Badrock and tensions mount as Monsters are discussed and a riderless bike drifts in to town. Glorious stuff!

other text pieces include an Interrogation with Martin Simmonds and a new book , Battle Stations by Hugo Pratt and Donnie Avenell.

Top Meg!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

Plus a bit of a treat with the floppy, don't forget.

From the long lamented Scream, The Nightcomers.

Always a pleasure to savour something that has not seen the light of day for a while.  Much as I get the choices made for the floppy, as a completionist much of the tooth material is surplus to requirements. 

It would be nice to see another character retrospective again like the Nemesis one.  I would plug for Strontium Dog, especially with the forthcoming Starlord reprint.

Buttonman

More than a year since a Dreddlines - they don't want to know what you think!

Dredd baddie is like a Lobster Random / Captain Skank mash up.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Buttonman on 15 February, 2020, 09:43:07 PM
Dredd baddie is like a Lobster Random / Captain Skank mash up.

Ha! too true, mind I'm guessing that Michael 'Remember when he was just Mike' Carroll likes them as they seemed to be saved one presumes for a later date. Which I'm fine with as its a solid Dredd. Not M Carroll's best by far but entertaining and thrilling enough.

Devlin Waugh - A very large splash is turning into a fascinating beast. Episodes start steadily but then ramp up into truly chilling conclusions. Another blinding ending here.

Brunt III is turning into a fascinating beast. After the high concept, madcap first two tales - the second of which I struggeld to keep up with - this one feels very grounded and rooted. I was looking forward to reading the previous volumes again at some point and this apparent switch in tone makes that all the more the case.

Zombie Army is an effective is uninspired zombie story.

Where as Lawless continues to be utterly inspired. What a winderful episode, another wonderful episode. It reads so perfectly differently to others, as this series has done in the past and yet is utterly grounded in the world and tales that has gone before. Dabnett is touched by some special magic at the moment with this and Blink he is producing some of the very, very best comics and here aided by the supendious Phil Winslade you do have to think about how high in Tharg's top five thrills ever this would come. Its simply that good.

The other material is really strong to. A touching tribute to Ellie De Ville is real standout. But the feature on Hugo Pratt is also very strong.

Add to that some glorious material from the Treasury making the floppie an essential read this month having only read the curiously off balance Nightcomers thus far. Terror of the Cats I'll get to tomorrow and looks simply bonkers.

Good Meg with moments of greatness.

Richard

Finally read this. Lawless is brilliant this month. Superb story-telling, and an interesting twist.

broodblik

Dredd – An enjoyable straight-forward Dredd story with good art by Karl Richardson.

Devlin Waugh – The story is now really picking up pace with some witty and clever writing. The story ends with some real shocking imagery. Great stuff. Would have been the top thrill if it was not for Lawless

Blunt – The previous arc was not that great but this one is already much more interesting

Zombie Army – The story and art are quite serviceable but nothing that makes it stand out as just another zombie story. Still enjoyable enough.

Lawless – The highlight of the meg. What a great story with Abnett changing the way the story is being told by using a child to narrate the story for us. Winslade's art is as always top-notch.

The Nightcomers – I nice surprise to have something out of Scream for a change. This story was very enjoyable and well worth the read.

Terror of the Cats – Another story out of the pages of Scream.  Not as good as the Nightcomers story and felt just a little bit silly. 

A very good Meg with two awesome stories in Lawless and Devlin
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Buttonman on 15 February, 2020, 09:43:07 PMMore than a year since a Dreddlines - they don't want to know what you think!
Heh. I suspect (as you'll be aware yourself) this is just down to people not writing in in sufficient number.

Colin YNWA

Oh somehow I managed to forget 'Terror of the Cats' until tonight. Which is a crime as its an almost forgotten, almost masterpiece. I mean its utter nonsense and absolute tosh but it was so close to genius. The idea came across as utterly ridiculous, but by execution rather than concept. If they'd had more time to build the threat of the cats instead of having to go straight for 12 moggies being some demonic force of the night which looked ridiculous this could have been glorious.

As it was it had its own B-movie charm especially with the reveal of why the cats had gone wild, that moment was pure comics gold. A gloriously missed opportunity.