Main Menu

Prog 2291 - Heart of Darkness

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 July, 2022, 10:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 21 July, 2022, 12:00:49 PM
Great to know Blambot is still the font source of choice - I remember it from when I was designing websites and Flash games years (almost decades, crazily) ago.

Nate Piekos is doing great work with the more recent Blambot dialogue fonts. For many years, every decent dialogue font has used autoligatures to deploy two different versions of a letterform when they're doubled up 'EE', 'OO', 'PP', and the like, but, until recently, you had to manually swap between them for repeated letters that weren't simply part of a pair if you wanted variations (and you were stuck with only two possibilities). Like this:

Now, Nate's doing six variations of every uppercase letter and using the autolig settings to look for repeated letters that are just near each other (even if they're on different lines) and swapping them out for a variant automatically:

It's a tiny, subtle thing but, much as many colourists are now using digital to simulate traditional media, it's nice to get that little bit of variation in the lettering that will make the whole thing look a little more organic.

Apologies for the derail. We now return you to your regular programming.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Thanks Jim. The upper-lower case scenario happened in the sci-fi special
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

That was a great post Jim, thank you.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jacqusie

Quote from: norton canes on 21 July, 2022, 11:10:55 AM
Yeah, don't know if my thrill interpretation circuits have been scrambled by the recent heatwave but 'Special Relationship' has been a real effort to follow, with the time frames constantly shifting, Brit-Cit characters I'm sure I should know more about, and events to remember from 'The Hard Way'. I feel the Williams droid is just trying a little too hard to obfuscate the storyline in an attempt to generate mystery, and there's in fact a simpler and much more enjoyable tale lurking there.

I'm glad it's not just me!

I do so love Rob Williams stories and his writing, but you summed it up well about how trying to read this is hard work and the enjoyment factor wanes slightly due to that.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jacqusie on 20 July, 2022, 08:17:39 PM
What a great cover and really pleased Jagir is back with the bio-wire

I was instantly reminded of Cinnabar, which is never a bad thing.

Regards,

Robin

73north

very glad to see Jaegir back ,  enjoying whole of the Prog ( for once )
also looking forward to next issue , which now usually arrives on a Monday or Tuesday
( despite being a subscriber )

Proudhuff

Jaegir... never get out the boat.
DDT did a job on me