Main Menu

Greetings from the Birmingham Gap

Started by Lawman of the Present, 22 August, 2022, 04:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawman of the Present

Hello all!

I've seen a few topics lately I'd be keen to join discussion on, and thought I'd make an account at last.

I know the Dredd 2012 marketing was given a hard time by some, but I have to say, it was the movie poster which grabbed my attention and the jumping-on point of IDW's concurrent issue #1 which first got me into the character.

I had passing awareness of the character beforehand and knew IDW's wasn't 'proper' Dredd (I have a vague memory of ten-year-old me being intrigued by the sight of 2000 AD at the newsagents, but it was always on the top shelf, and I was never quite sure if it was an actual comic or some form of teen+ magazine which used cartoon mascots, as they often seemed to do in the 1990s - a bait and switch if you ask me! Suffice to say, I never took the plunge).

I liked what I read nevertheless and promptly began with Case Files 01, and have never looked back :) My obsessive tendencies have taken hold and I'm now a die-hard Dreddverse fan, currently on a complete canon readthrough and putting together a full chronology for every story, including the various expanded media like the novels and audio dramas.

What else can I say? The worldbuilding and long-form storytelling are second to none. I haven't quite made the jump to AD proper with the other series, mainly because I know what I'm like and I really don't have space for a fifth bookcase!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 22 August, 2022, 04:34:01 PM
I haven't quite made the jump to AD proper with the other series, mainly because I know what I'm like and I really don't have space for a fifth bookcase!

I mean there's always digital if you can enjoy your comics that way as there is a host of wonderful stuff in the rest of the Prog. Whatever you decide lovely to have you onboard and have fun.

broodblik

Yes, Dredd is the pilar of 2000AD but you are missing out on some awesome stories. The nice thig about digital is that you can purchase all the progs from 2003 onwards which will give you some happy reading hours. But also welcome on the board
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 August, 2022, 04:36:20 PMI mean there's always digital

Thanks all! A very valid point as you and others suggest. I've always preferred physical for books and comics for the collection aspect but also as it's a hobby which gets me away from screens for a while each evening :) As yet I've not really given digital a try but absolutely it'd be a great way to explore more series without the space issue. Duly noted.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 22 August, 2022, 06:46:59 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 August, 2022, 04:36:20 PMI mean there's always digital

Thanks all! A very valid point as you and others suggest. I've always preferred physical for books and comics for the collection aspect but also as it's a hobby which gets me away from screens for a while each evening :) As yet I've not really given digital a try but absolutely it'd be a great way to explore more series without the space issue. Duly noted.

Took me a while and if I'm honest if I love a comic I still end up getting it physically but can be a great cheap way to experiment and explore.

Good point about wanting to get away from a screen - kinda a big fail from that perspective!

Dandontdare

AlexF

Hello! If you spend too much time on these boards, you'll need a sixth bookcase before too long...
(I'm one who gets Progs digitally these days, but generally prefers the collected editions in hard copy. They're chunky books, take up a lot of space!)

sheridan

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 22 August, 2022, 04:34:01 PM
I liked what I read nevertheless and promptly began with Case Files 01, and have never looked back :) My obsessive tendencies have taken hold and I'm now a die-hard Dreddverse fan, currently on a complete canon readthrough and putting together a full chronology for every story, including the various expanded media like the novels and audio dramas.

Go on then, share your work!

p.s. welcome to the board!