Main Menu

10 Greatest Judge Dredd Comics Of All Time?

Started by rogue69, 14 November, 2022, 08:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

CBR.com have a article on "10 Greatest Judge Dredd Comics Of All Time" I think there may be some disagreement with their choices

https://www.cbr.com/judge-dredd-best-comics/

JohnW

Quote from: rogue69 on 14 November, 2022, 08:14:28 PM
I think there may be some disagreement with their choices
I'm taking cover.
Let me know when they sound the All Clear.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Colin YNWA

I mean... err... see you could say.... I mean its US focused.... and ... well you never agree with these things... but the.... and... errr

Wow, just wow... that's a ... thing... I ... its a thing...

IndigoPrime

Such a good article, it didn't even make CBR's Twitter feed. And, well, OH MY.

So, let's have a look then. (I'll stick a wodge of spoiler text here, and then I assume we can just carry on talking about this, without worrying about the surprise.

[spoiler]
10. DC Dredd: Er. I don't know what to say about this, other than... er. I mean Legends of the Law was better than the other series, but it wasn't good. I'm still a bit baffled Rebellion's reprinting it, TBH.

9. Trinity: Objectively great. But as much as I love Niemand's Dredd, this isn't top ten fodder.

8. Cold Wars: In the list because it took Dredd out of his comfort zone and had him confront his own history. Like that's unusual. He does that all the damn time. The story was... fine.

7. Guatemala: A very solid modern Dredd. Top ten? Nope.

6. Small House: I really liked this, but it stretched suspension of disbelief way beyond breaking point. And there are some leaps of logic at the end. Williams does really fun 'Dredd as blockbuster' scripts, but is this one top-ten material? I doubt it.

5. Apocalypse War: DING DING DING. We have a winner. Finally.

4. Predator vs Judge Dredd: I don't even. I can only imagine the writer hasn't read this – or has no taste.

3. The Ultimate Riddle: The ultimate let-down. The first Batman crossover was a visual spectacle with a plot as thin as a wafer. By the time we got to the last one, it all felt a bit tired. This isn't bad, but it's barely top three Batman crossovers, let alone top-ten all Dredd.

2. The Final Judgement: Yep. Congrats. Bring in the Dredd strips – which were mostly very good – and include the most divisive one of the lot. Fantastic.

Still. There's one slot left. A shot at redemption. America? Tour of Duty? The Pit? Or perhaps one of the cracking small stories, like Bury my Heart?

1. Duane Swierczynski's IDW Run Is The Perfect Gateway Into Dredd

AARRGHHHHHHH
[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 November, 2022, 08:32:23 PM

9. [spoiler]Trinity[/spoiler]: Objectively great. But as much as I love Niemand's Dredd, this isn't top ten fodder.

Its not even top ten Niemand Dredd!

Sorry for messing with the spoiler tags but it'd just be spoiler quoting spoiler without a little something.

Art

Magnetica

Er what?

There's virtually no point actually commenting here about what stories should be on that list, and where those that are on that list actually stand in the pantheon of Dredd stories (or not).

Except to say a) we can probably all agree with one choice that would be on most of our top ten lists (at #1 for a lot) and b) to comment on the IDW Dredd, as given the comments about it at the time, I reckon most here haven't actually read it. All I'll say is, I have every issue but couldn't bring myself to actually finish it.

Funt Solo

Written by someone without a grasp of either the subject matter or, well, how to write.

"While only a short, one-off story, [spoiler]"Trinity"[/spoiler] was incredible and a welcomed surprise for the regular 2000 AD readers as well as fans of the movies."

I have to question that there are fans of the movies. There might be fans of one of the movies, and then people who stared in slack-jawed disbelief at the other one.

[spoiler]Why are we spoiler-tagging a shit top ten? Don't worry - rhetorical.[/spoiler]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Surely the greatest Judge Dredd comic of all time is 2000AD, with the Meg coming second?

©Pedantry Inc.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

AlexF

This is an amazing top 10 and I have to hope its author genuinely believes it.
At least it doesn't have City of the Damned.

Link Prime

This list wouldn't even make the Top 10 Cringe CBR Listicles list.

Colin YNWA

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 November, 2022, 10:28:27 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 15 November, 2022, 09:22:38 AM
At least it doesn't have City of the Damned.

Ha! And AGREED!

I rather have City of Damned @ no 1 then any of the IDW stuff
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 November, 2022, 10:38:20 PMto comment on the IDW Dredd, as given the comments about it at the time, I reckon most here haven't actually read it. All I'll say is, I have every issue but couldn't bring myself to actually finish it.

I've read almost all of it, mostly from Humble Bundles. The Swierczynski run, for me, initially started off just about OK but rapidly became unreadable. MC-2 (about to be reprinted in the Meg) looked great but was incomprehensible. Mega-City Zero was dire, and I very much hope that won't me in the Meg. Same with Blessed Earth, which was terrible.

On the flip side, Year One and Matt Smith's Anderson were both solid reads, Mars Attacks was a lot of fun, and Deviations was OK. The four-issue mini-series were all... fine. But none of them set my world on fire. What gets me is this author specifically highlights the Swierczynski run though. That's quite something.

Also, perhaps the writer really does think all this, which means they've not read much Dredd or this is really what they enjoy. That if nothing else should be an eye-opener regarding how the strip fares in the US.

Magnetica

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 November, 2022, 11:16:00 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 14 November, 2022, 10:38:20 PMto comment on the IDW Dredd, as given the comments about it at the time, I reckon most here haven't actually read it. All I'll say is, I have every issue but couldn't bring myself to actually finish it.

I've read almost all of it, mostly from Humble Bundles. The Swierczynski run, for me, initially started off just about OK but rapidly became unreadable. MC-2 (about to be reprinted in the Meg) looked great but was incomprehensible. Mega-City Zero was dire, and I very much hope that won't me in the Meg. Same with Blessed Earth, which was terrible.

On the flip side, Year One and Matt Smith's Anderson were both solid reads, Mars Attacks was a lot of fun, and Deviations was OK. The four-issue mini-series were all... fine. But none of them set my world on fire. What gets me is this author specifically highlights the Swierczynski run though. That's quite something.

Also, perhaps the writer really does think all this, which means they've not read much Dredd or this is really what they enjoy. That if nothing else should be an eye-opener regarding how the strip fares in the US.

Yes agreed, some of the IDW stuff was ok. As was the Rogue Trooper. But specifically not the series mentioned.