Main Menu

Laurel Docks

Started by The Sherman Kid, 09 December, 2022, 01:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

I do look forward to reading the Meg every month, but sometimes I confess I don't always read it in it's entirety, either being too busy or having gotten distracted. I do make a mental note to come back to it and finish it, but again I confess I sometimes I just plain forget.

Anyhoo having some time on my hands I decide to spend it wisely  ;)and have a huge  binge on back issues, and low and behold found an absolute gem. The Third Person (Meg 385)  by Michael Carroll is for me one of the best one-off Dredd's ever written with perfect art to match by Carl Critchlow.

A script so succinct and sharp you could slice toast with it, and incredibly funny  :lol:, never laughed so much at a Dredd story since 'Finger of Suspicion' by the mighty John Wagner.

The art is a perfect match for the story, Lauren Docks is in a striking red top but is given an ethereal quality by Critchlow, which adds to the mystique of the character.

Please, please, please could we see more of this character  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GoGilesGo

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 December, 2022, 01:02:57 PM
The Third Person (Meg 385)  by Michael Carroll is for me one of the best one-off Dredd's ever written with perfect art to match by Carl Critchlow.

385 came out just before I started subscribing to the Meg so I missed this; so I bought a digital copy solely on the breathlessness of Sherman's review.

What a phenomenal Dredd story. Such an innovative (and fun) use of narration that starts as reliable, becomes unreliable then spins off beyond the narrator's control.

----
Laurel had only been in the big city for a short time but knew she had a future. She gulped and thought to herself,

"If Juliet November can get her own spin off, surely we will see Laurel Docks again."

----

Dark Jimbo

I forgot to reply to this thread originally, but yes - a cracker. I didn't always care for Carroll's inter-departmental stories (more ninja judges, anyone?) but he always nailed tales of Mega-city citizens.
@jamesfeistdraws

JohnW

I'm shocked at how easily I forget stories now – even the good ones. For instance, I'd have sworn blind that I'd never seen 'Ghosts' before it was reprinted in last month's floppy. So if the Sherman Kid hadn't praised this, God knows how long it would have been before I rediscovered it – if ever I did. (Thanks for that, Kid, and for the opportunity to address someone as 'Kid'.)
It's a lot of fun, and Critchlow, as usual, is superb – particularly with his colouring.
Don't know if I want this character back, mind. I fear the prospect of diminishing returns.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!